Source of 1/48th Strut stock?

arthurkrull

With the upgrade on the site I couldn't figure out how to track down John at first however I have now figured it out and so, in case you haven't found it yourself, if you put ' John Aero' into the search box (top right) and then click the dropdown menu nexto to it set it to members and that will bring him up so you can drop him a PM. Hope this helps

A question from and for the ignorant. (Me that is.)  What, eggzackly, is "strut stock?" Ok, yeah. I mean I figure it's something to make struts out of.  But first of all, are we talking about plastic model stuff, stick and tissue, what?

I ask because it would seem to me that card stock or balsa or spruce wood do for the other.  If round is desired, there are sprues, stretchable to many configurations or if wood, dowels or various bamboo 'skewers' which lend themselves nicely for fine wood construction.

Is it possible you all are referring to scale operational struts as in oleo strut?

I'm at the point of, 'what else is there?' which brings me to my question.

Bear with me please and thanks.

In this case strut stock is longish lengths of aerodynamically shaped material, which you would cut to length to suit your kit.  I have some included in Esoteric vacforms.

I think still available in plastic, but there used to be a product called "strutz" which was extruded (?) brass - the dies to form such were lost on death of the maker, I believe.

However since every biplane seems to have different shaped struts, I'm not sure exactly how useful the strut stock is?  Okay if it's like a faired off 4x1 but many had full-bellied shape struts.

Cheers

Will

Albion Alloys makes a tool called the Strutter.   Steel or brass wire is placed in their thin wall brass tubing ,then placed in the tool and pressed in a vise. Seems like the same result could be obtained with two pieces of angle iron.

A better possible method to create a more accurate cross section would be to pull the wire/tubing combination through a 38% oval draw plate. Contenti jewelry supply has a 38% oval one to three millimeter draw plate with many different size openings. Larger size draw plates as well as different shapes available.

On 16/09/2016 at 4:17 PM, arthurkrull said:

All, 

I know that John Aero used to offer strut stock in various sizes. It looks like it's no longer available. 

Is there another source? 

Thanks much, 

Art

John still keeps packs of the plastic strut. The pack has multiple sizes, the larger is most suitable for 1/48.

Contact him by PM

Its the metal strut he no lnhger keeps as the supplier died a couple of years ago and the family sold/scrapped the machine tool before John knew.