Smart Quotes

Mike

Back in the old version of the forum, we were forever having to clean up posts where someone had just pressed "Quote" and included a boat-load of pictures that were duplicated from the original post and therefore not needed.  This exercised everyone's scroll wheel far too much and annoyed a surprisingly large number of people.  No longer is this necessary if you read this topic, which you clearly are.

Now we have smart quote, and it's incredibly simple to quote a portion of a post or even just a word!

• Highlight the part of the other person's post you wanted to quote - selecting from left to right seems most reliable.
  • Up pops a little Quote This button.
  • Click that menu and a new post with just the info you wanted appears for you to finish off with a reply.

Cool, eh? ^_^

• Like 18

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Like most pieces of software, there are many options that most users never get to know about, and if they do they do not (at the time) think it concerns them, and if they do they are likely to have forgotten about them by the time they actually might find them useful.  The excess of options is perhaps a "third world problem" within the computer field and probably unavoidable.  I think that this one is a very good idea, and I hope that I can remember it, although I have found that the Delete key does much the same job.

I am surprised that multiple scrolling through unwanted pages and pages can ever be considered as anything other than unreasonable.   I suspect that anyone inconsiderate enough to copy these things en masse will not have the nous to know this nor the inclination to use it.

On 7/2/2021 at 11:26 AM, Graham Boak said:

"third world problem"

First world problem is the more apt description (he says while demonstrating the functionality)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 year later...
36 minutes ago, Peter Cane said:

I am brand new to the forum so am learning how to not annoy people or get banned.

You'll be fine Pete. You have to be properly annoying to get punted ;)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Peter Cane said:

Ahh...looks like I understand this one.

I am brand new to the forum so am learning how to not annoy people or get banned.

Pete

7 hours ago, Mike said:

You'll be fine Pete. You have to be properly annoying to get punted ;)

True; I'm still here and I even annoy my dog.

• Haha 4