How do I post Pictures?

Mike

44 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Ok don’t know what I did yesterday but when I try to insert an Imgur picture from a link the url just goes red and nothing happens…

OK, I'm new to Imgur, but see if this helps. When you click on the image that you want to upload, alongside on the right there are a load of options. The one that I use is the second one down "Direct Link". I just click on "Copy", and then paste it into the thread.

HTH's.

John.

What I do on imgur is, click on the image that you put in there. It becomes larger.

Right click on that and select copy image address from the box that pops up.

Right click on your post and select paste.

Ive used 500 px, google images, face book and now Iam on Postimages. Iam having a lot of mixed feelings about postimages. Sometimes it seems to work and sometimes the pictures vanish after about seven days. Here is a test.

spacer.png

Edited by Valleyforge

On 2/12/2022 at 9:20 PM, Marklo said:

Having issues with village.photos it seems their ssl certificate has lapsed. Anything Britmodeller can do? Or should I just go and try a different host?

I have the same issue and found out that my postings here on Britmodeller - WIP etc have lost the pictures! :weep:

Seems there's no way round it but finding a new host! :hmmm:

Thanks for clearing it up for me - couldn't figure out what was wrong!

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 1

I use postimage, and have no issues with it, if you click on where it says 31 days you should get more options, select never auto delete. I used to use Flickr but after they lost every picture I had uploaded to it I changed to postimage. I have also tried imgbb but wouldn’t recommend it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

I use postimage, and have no issues with it, if you click on where it says 31 days you should get more options, select never auto delete. I used to use Flickr but after they lost every picture I had uploaded to it I changed to postimage. I have also tried imgbb but wouldn’t recommend it.

Thanks for the recommendation - seems to work ok!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Markh-75 said:

I'd say that works! Can You see it? Sometimes it has its little foibles but once you get your settings bang on its great! I go for direct to forum, just as you have done!😁

Yep!  I switched from 'Hotlink for forums' to 'Direct Link' - both seem to work but the latter shows the image in the editor.  All good 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2022 at 12:31 PM, alt-92 said:

oopsie - late reaction. 

Hi there,

no doubt I am going to ask a stupid question, as I don't have the time to read 32 pages of threads! Life is keeping me on the run right now!

If I am not mistaken, your photos are .png, and this seems to become more and more popular among B'mers.

And there lies the snag: I cannot view any .png photo! Could it be because I am using Windows 7 Professional as opposed to Windows 10?

If you could throw a little light on this quirk, I would be grateful.

Cheers

JR

1 hour ago, jean said:

Hi there,

no doubt I am going to ask a stupid question, as I don't have the time to read 32 pages of threads! Life is keeping me on the run right now!

If I am not mistaken, your photos are .png, and this seems to become more and more popular among B'mers.

And there lies the snag: I cannot view any .png photo! Could it be because I am using Windows 7 Professional as opposed to Windows 10?

Cheers

JR

I'm not sure png images would show up here and if they did, they might be too large to be allowed. All of my Flickr images are jpg's and all are in the size range allowed

by the forum admins.

If an image is too large for the forum, you will soon be notified by those admins, informing you of your mistake. Ask me how I know!

Chris

1 hour ago, jean said:

[....]  And there lies the snag: I cannot view any .png photo! Could it be because I am using Windows 7 Professional as opposed to Windows 10?

Windows 7? Now that is a name I haven't heard in a loooong time :)

To be bluntly honest, support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020.

That means no security fixes for anything discovered in the last 2 years while the computering world has moved to an online existence due to the dreaded C.19....

I know it's not always feasible but I would suggest switching to anything supported by a vendor - be it Android (tablet/phone), a 2ndhand Macbook supported by Apple, or something able to run a current W10 version - or Linux - if you do prefer traditional PC stuff. 

That said, Windows 7 is definitely capable of viewing/rendering .PNG files in and of itself.

So if it isn't working, it may be due to a previous picture viewer messing with properties, or a webbrowser poo-poo.   I do hope you've at least switched to Google Chrome as that is still being supported on Win7:
https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/7100626?hl=en

(amazeballs!  Google hasn't killed it!)

16 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I'm not sure png images would show up here and if they did, they might be too large to be allowed.

Chris, PNG (Portable Network Graphics) is a file format especially suited to cross-operating system support, and Windows was actually late to the game supporting it. It works just like Jpegs with the added option of allowing transparency.

Size requirements have nothing to do with the filetype used.

If anything, I can get a PNG in higher quality at a lower filesize compared to the lossy JPEG format..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Windows 7? Now that is a name I haven't heard in a loooong time :)

To be bluntly honest, support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020.

That means no security fixes for anything discovered in the last 2 years while the computering world has moved to an online existence due to the dreaded C.19....

I know it's not always feasible but I would suggest switching to anything supported by a vendor - be it Android (tablet/phone), a 2ndhand Macbook supported by Apple, or something able to run a current W10 version - or Linux - if you do prefer traditional PC stuff. 

That said, Windows 7 is definitely capable of viewing/rendering .PNG files in and of itself.

So if it isn't working, it may be due to a previous picture viewer messing with properties, or a webbrowser poo-poo.   I do hope you've at least switched to Google Chrome as that is still being supported on Win7:
https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/7100626?hl=en

(amazeballs!  Google hasn't killed it!)

Chris, PNG (Portable Network Graphics) is a file format especially suited to cross-operating system support, and Windows was actually late to the game supporting it. It works just like Jpegs with the added option of allowing transparency.

Size requirements have nothing to do with the filetype used.

If anything, I can get a PNG in higher quality at a lower filesize compared to the lossy JPEG format..

Hi,

I am glad I took you back in time! Yes I know: not many people still use Windows 7, and yes again, I know it is not supported any longer, but I like it and it has not let us down yet.

The snag is that we cannot use Windows 10. We had it for a while and notwithstanding the fact that I hated it, its very weird update system made it totally impossible to use with our internet. Because we live in the deep bush, we have our own sat dish and then we had a 50 Gb monthly limit. So within a couple of weeks, Windows 10 had cleaned us up of our already mingy allocation, just by doing its integral upgrades...

I lost it, got it uninstalled from all our machines and had Windows 7 re-installed. Best thing I ever did.

As far as the .png file snag, I will ask our tame boffin whether he has any brain wave...

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

Hi All,

Does anyone use Amazon Photos? Just wondered how to post to here from there as they don't seem to have a 'BBCode' option as offered by Flickr (which I believe is what's required by BM and what I currently use)?

Cheers

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...