How do I post Pictures?

Mike

Here's a screen shot;

f6821782-3ce3-4265-85ca-480edf09e6ff.png

BTW Mike, if you read this. The "edit" facility seems to have disappeared with the new update.

EDIT. No it hasn't. I've just found it in the top RH corner, in "more options".

John.

On 10/11/2020 at 2:53 PM, Stickframe said:

If you have any ideas about how to post from Google Photos let me know.  I looked up posting with Google here on BritM and read through the text, and didn't see a solution to  my problem.

Hey @Stickframe, if you go to the link below, Gorby put my instructions on posting from Google Photos into his summary writeup in the first post. Long story short, there are a few steps you need to take, including using another website. It's a lot more work than most people would probably want to do to post photos on the forum, but I like the ease of Google Photos for uploading and albums, I'm not worried about the longevity of the company hosting the photos, and I already had an account. 

One thing he didn't copy/paste from my post is that when you get the posting link for your photo URL, it defaults to 2400 pixels wide - you need to manually change it to the proper width you want your image to display as (the numbers at the end of the URL, where it says "...w2400"). I export and post mine at 880 px wide. 

My photos from when I first joined (Jan 2019) are still happily embedded, so in theory this is a workaround for the temporary working nature of some linked photos that other members have experienced with Google. Only more time will tell though. 

Edited by Shin
added more info
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Shin said:

Hey @Stickframe, if you go to the link below, Gorby put my instructions on posting from Google Photos into his summary writeup in the first post. Long story short, there are a few steps you need to take, including using another website. It's a lot more work than most people would probably want to do to post photos on the forum, but I like the ease of Google Photos for uploading and albums, I'm not worried about the longevity of the company hosting the photos, and I already had an account. 

One thing he didn't copy/paste from my post is that when you get the posting link for your photo URL, it defaults to 2400 pixels wide - you need to manually change it to the proper width you want your image to display as (the numbers at the end of the URL, where it says "...w2400"). I export and post mine at 880 px wide. 

My photos from when I first joined (Jan 2019) are still happily embedded, so in theory this is a workaround for the temporary working nature of some linked photos that other members have experienced with Google. Only more time will tell though. 

Hi Shin, thanks for the info.  At this point, I'm not sure of how to proceed with Google - in that I don't know if images I've posted are being shown or not? I can see them on my laptop, and eventually on my phone, but not initially.   A reason to pursue Google Photos and figure out how to make it work is ease - there's no login, open an album and you can import multiple images at once and quickly.  What is a bummer is the lack of consistency.  

OK, thanks again - 

Nick

1 hour ago, Stickframe said:

Hi Shin, thanks for the info.  At this point, I'm not sure of how to proceed with Google - in that I don't know if images I've posted are being shown or not? I can see them on my laptop, and eventually on my phone, but not initially.   A reason to pursue Google Photos and figure out how to make it work is ease - there's no login, open an album and you can import multiple images at once and quickly.  What is a bummer is the lack of consistency.  

@Stickframe well I'm seeing your photos (wall & truck), so that's a good sign. from what everyone else has said hotlinking directly from Google albums may eventually break, but I haven't had any troubles using the alternate method I outlined yet. Just a few extra steps is all. 

HI Shin, thanks for your guidance on posting.  As my results with Google have been inconsistent, I'm trying Flickr Beta one:

url%5D

If the above worked - it was using BB code - and deleting code as suggested in the Flickr section of FAQ's

As with Google, I can of course see this image - on my pc and phone.  Please let me know if you folks can see it too!

Cheers

Nick

Edited by Stickframe
testing for images
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I also seem to be having problems since the last update... Let me try and post an image here, hosted on my own website, to see if it works:

masked.jpg

Any feedback welcome!

All I can see is a grey box with 'masked. jpg' inside it.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I’m seeing the image, but only after a few seconds - it seems to be taking much longer than usual before it appears...

I've just been speaking about personal hosting with another member, so let's have a chat about it :)

The forum software is hosted on a server that is secured via SSL - Secure Sockets Layer.  It's an encryption method that prevents hackers from intercepting your datastream and inserting bad things, or just pinching your data.  It's the same system used when people are handing over their credit or debit card details, setting up passwords for their bank accounts etc., so you can imagine it's pretty good.  No system is infallible, but it's about the best in regular use today.  We take our members' password security seriously, even though you might wonder what use can be made of a login for a modelling site, people often use similar or the same passwords for multiple places that could be applied to other sites to hack your more important data.  It has become the de facto standard for websites that handle passwords, and those that aren't secure now throw up warnings when you go to log on.

That's why we're secure, now for the other part.  If you have your own webspace, or are unlucky enough to use a photo host that doesn't secure their site, you are serving your pics from an unsecure site, so when a https site has http elements, browsers send out warnings that some of the data is unsecure.  This is only fair, as you get a sense of security from the little lock shield, which is undermined by also serving http elements from the same page.  With our site that's going to be photos, which is relatively harmless, but how is the user to know it's not other things such as code, key loggers etc.?

If you want to successfully continue using your own hosting, then you will need to either move to a host that is secure, or get an SSL certificate for your own webspace.  If you do, you can tell your server (at least we can, so you should be able to) to respond to http requests with https data.  It's not a free option for the most part, but it's also not expensive.  if you use it a lot, it'll be well worth the effort, but if not you might consider moving your hosting somewhere secure. :)

it's not a perfect solution, but as technology moves along, we have to either move with it or give in and go back to using slate and cave paintings to communicate.  It's the same issue with the old tablets (iPad 2 has been an issue since the update) and phones.  I doubt many people are still using them, but those who have been lucky enough for their device to last long past its intended usefulness have since been unlucky enough to have tech move on so that their devices have started to become less useful.  Support has been dropped, and day by day they lag further behind.  If you want to see how icky that gets, just load up Internet Exploder and see how BM looks there :puke:

7 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

To partly answer my own question, I think the security certificate is out of date which may be the issue. I will contact my hosting company and ask them to look at it in the hope that fixing this will return things to normal again...

That's 100% of the issue I suspect.  If you get that squared away, you'll probably find they come back :)