How do I post Pictures?

Mike

....Wow, 22 pages on how to post photos. Most likely i just overlooked but i could not find information on how to post photos from my local Hard Drive. I am a bit analogue when it comes to social media and therefore i have little motivation to use facebook, twitter, picture hosters and so on.

Hi Tom Tom,

there isn't a facility on Britmodeller to post images direct from your device.  This is intentional and so, if you want to post images, you will need a hosting site or method described in these threads.

You are not the only one who is averse to social media sites; however, sometimes needs must etc. :winkgrin:

cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

Tom Tom, there are plenty of hosting sites that are not social media. I use Flickr and have also used Village.Photos. There are many other, most mentioned here, in this topic. Most are easy to use.

Chris

• Like 1

Like Chris says, Village Photos is not part of any social media, and it's one that I use, and have done for the last four and a half years with no problems. If you're interested, I've done an "Idiot's guide" to using this method and it's in FAQs.

John.

Hi Guys,

thank you for your feedback and support!

But this is a bit unusual, i never found any forum in my life were it was NOT possible to upload pictures directly from my computer. Too sad that this will limit my contribution to this forum to "read only" and text. Posting build projects makes little sense without pictures.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Reelyator said:

But this is a bit unusual, i never found any forum in my life were it was NOT possible to upload pictures directly from my computer. Too sad that this will limit my contribution to this forum to "read only" and text. Posting build projects makes little sense without pictures.

Not that unusual. One of the other well known AFV modelling sites, Missing Lynx, does the same. In fact, they used to be linked up with the dreaded Photo Bucket. The IDF Modelling Site also requires you to use a photo hosting site. There are thousands of modellers on BM who don't find it a problem to post photos, and if you read the "how to's" in FAQs, you shouldn't have any problems. If you do, just ask.

John.

• Like 1

Purely intended to reduce server requirement; however the technical nature of this hobby tends to rely heavily on the visual vs. analytical. There are many
benefits to utilization of images...not the least of which is conservation/reduction of lengthy explanations 🤠  Relieve your stress load, post elsewhere and
copy paste url here as an element of topic support.

spacer.png

Edited by Flite-Metal
  • Like 1

I found a picture hoster were you can upload pictures without ANY registration or personal information to be entered. I think this is something i can live with. The downsite is of course that after uploading you have zero contoll over the uploaded file. 

On 9/15/2016 at 11:53 AM, Mike said:
  • Ok - assuming you already have your photos hosted online somewhere, you just copy the DIRECT link from wherever it is (Photobucket, Flickr, you name it), and you paste it into your posting window.
  • Press either enter, or space, and SPANG! The forum software will automatically convert it to a photo.
  • If for some reason you didn't want it as a photo, a little notification bar appears at the bottom of your posting window to give you the opportunity to undo the action.
  • Look smug.  You've learned how to post a photo.

Told you it was simple, didn't I? ;)

If you've got a lot of photos to post that are numbered sequentially or with slight changes to the filename, you can post those easily too.

• Paste your image as above, but before you press space or return, just edit the filename to the next in the sequence.
  • Rinse & repeat as necessary until you run out of pictures.

Pretty simple, eh? ^_^

If for some reason you have SPACES in your URL (why would you do that????), or it doesn't seem to be working with the automatic system, don't panic.  Down at the bottom right of your posting window, there is a button called Insert Other Media.  Click that and choose Insert Image from URL and enter your URL in the box that pops up.  Save that and you should have a pic when the screen finishes loading it.

In most cases, I illustrated my messages with a photo from airwar.ru.  Everything worked great and "

copy the DIRECT link from wherever it is (Photobucket, Flickr, you name it), and you paste it into your posting window.

Press either enter, or space, and SPANG! The forum software will automatically convert it to a photo." everything worked like that.

👍

But today it's not work😞....no photo just a link. I used second way - 

"Down at the bottom right of your posting window, there is a button called Insert Other Media e.t.c."

DIRECT link was pink or reddish background and again no result.😞

What is the problem?  

For me this is not principle, but for those who read my some posting, the link instead of the photo I think creates certain inconvenience.

B.R.

Serge

14 hours ago, Aardvark said:

DIRECT link was pink or reddish background and again no result.😞

What is the problem?  

That's usually because the link is broken, possibly airwar.ru has been reclassified by someone along the line as a dangerous site?  Much like happened to BM's emails recently :hmmm: Can you PM me a link so I can have a look please Serge? :yes:

0a.jpg

Just picked this one up despite not being able to read Cyrillic text even a little bit :unsure:

OK gents, trying a new host - let's see if it works - nope....need to try again...here we go:

usyEFfhdTGbE0uDQ0OQW1M4W-Gh3aQQOXpkucCzy

ok - seems to work like the old service  - but - not on each image?

Keep testing:

lgkfaPtN8uSVNNTksgAxUGWw1DZj2WPW7GPlBMmj

ok - here we go - 

Cheers,

Nick

Yep - quite a surprise each time.   I posted the images above (which are still visible on this laptop)  to test using Google Photos, which seems pretty straight forward: search for the selected image, open, right click, copy and paste address to the forum and be done with it.  It turns out that while the images show up immediately, and I can see them when using my PC, I can't see them on my phone,  nor can other users.  I have no idea why.   I have looked for a restrictions/properties settings I might have set to restrict viewing - with no luck.

After the test above (believing the images were visible to all) I posted in the diorama ready for inspection section, thinking I was good to go, right?  No - I posted the images and text hit submit.  All of the images were clearly visible on my laptop, but not for others, or on my phone.    On other sites I've needed to bracket images with brackets and forward slash, but in this case, the URL isn't visible. 

If you have any ideas about how to post from Google Photos let me know.  I looked up posting with Google here on BritM and read through the text, and didn't see a solution to  my problem.

I ultimately went back to my old hosting site (which is struggling now and likely to close) and reposted the images from that site.  I'm looking for a better solution. 

You might check out the project in the dio ready for inspection section - It's more interesting than stumbling through this crucial step.  The project is called "Where do you think you're going?"   I'm going to keep searching for a better way to post.

Thanks

Nick

EDIT - I went through options and might have solved this - if you can see the pictures above, please let me know - I can now see them here, and on my phone - thanks

Nick

Edited by Stickframe

Nick, I can now see both images above. 

One issue I have seen with those using GOOGLE Photos is that after a while, the images will time expire and all that will be visible is a grey bar with some code in it, but no visible image.

Chris

A bit of an odd one. This morning I posted some pictures of my Hellcat in RFI from Village Photos, no problem. Now I'm trying to post pics of my Churchill & it's coming back with a message saying "The link could not be embedded because only https URLs are allowed." Village URLs are http.

Any ideas?

Pete

Just now, Buzby061 said:

A bit of an odd one. This morning I posted some pictures of my Hellcat in RFI from Village Photos, no problem. Now I'm trying to post pics of my Churchill & it's coming back with a message saying "The link could not be embedded because only https URLs are allowed." Village URLs are http.

Ouch!  Village Photos - do they really host in http still? :hmmm: We've just had an update to the forum in case you hadn't twigged, which has removed the image proxy that fixed http issues.  I hadn't twigged that as a result they're not going to let us use non-https photos & links though.  Some further looking is required here.  BTW, have you tried just adding an S to the URL?

Also, if anyone's photos have disappeared in the last half an hour, it could well be the "recaching of the imageproxy files" that is currently ongoing.  Try again tomorrow, and if they're still not showing, let us have a link :)

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mike, that explains it. I might change to Flickr as Village has an annoying habit of putting my photos in random order, it's a scrat to have to plod through all of them to find one you've just uploaded.

Pete

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

Thanks Mike, that explains it. I might change to Flickr as Village has an annoying habit of putting my photos in random order, it's a scrat to have to plod through all of them to find one you've just uploaded.

Pete

I can imagine that being annoying.  TBH, if they're not bothered to get an SSL certificate, which costs about the same as a small 1:48 kit, they're not very committed to their art.  If I can manage to learn how to set it up and run with it, then anyone can! :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buzby061 said:

Pete

Yes, go Flickr. I only use V.P as a backup if/when there are difficulties with Flickr. It's a rare thing, though.

Chris

• Like 1

Glad I found this topic. I was looking to research some bits on F14 wing weathering on one of Tony Oliver's extensive threads but most of the images aren't showing. Will try again tomorrow.

Jonathan