How do I post Pictures?

Mike

58 minutes ago, KeithR said:

Hi Dogsbody,

This is my first time posting on Britmodeller so I'm still finding my feet. The picture appears for me, but I've found a different way of doing it now which you might be able to see.

It's my post about the Spitfire Ia in Ready for Inspection. There are two similar posts next to each other only one is mine.

Sorry I can't figure out how to insert a link to it yet. I'd be curious to see if you can see it.

Keith.

You just post the image BBCode directly here. You also have to make sure your pictures are in Public mode, otherwise only you and those you allow can see them.

Chris

• 1 month later...

After allot of posts I had another member comment that it was too bad my photos were not larger. I tried in the post to enlarge the photo but I dont think thats the issue as i didnt see any options. I would appreciate some help with this techy issue.

Photo details says 3246 x 2488 avg 2.13 MB

6 hours ago, Flaps out said:

After allot of posts I had another member comment that it was too bad my photos were not larger. I tried in the post to enlarge the photo but I dont think thats the issue as i didnt see any options. I would appreciate some help with this techy issue.

Photo details says 3246 x 2488 avg 2.13 MB

Hi David

The photo details you quote are for the original image, and are huge, far too big for posting direct onto here without incurring the wrath of the mods.

This image that you posted on another thread is on the other hand 600px × 292px, 44.28 kB (right click on the image, select view image info).

20200722_211904-600x292.jpg

Acceptable, but as at least one person has commented, a bit on the small size.

Best compromise for image size on screen vs file size is somewhere between 800-1200 pixels wide and around 200-300kb max file size.

I see you're using smugmug to host your pictures, I don't know how this works, but if you're uploading the full size image (3246 x 2488 avg 2.13 MB) there will be some selection option to get the small image size that you're actually posting, and smugmug is doing the image size conversion for you. You just need to find where this selection is and opt for a larger image size.

A quick google brought up this https://help.smugmug.com/share-my-photos-SJ4mxxD1NHM which shows a photo size selection on the Share Photo screenshot.

I know I'm taking a chance here but exasperation has got the better of me, so my apologies up-front.

I am not an aircraft modeler but I enjoy admiring the work of those that do. Frequently post appear requesting information of colours, aircraft features, markings etc. that go unanswered. During my RAF career I took several thousand photographs of all types of aircraft and would dearly wish to provide a visual answer for the forum concerned. But I just can't find a way to upload them.

I read the FAQs and decided to use Fasthosts as my images source as I already have an account with them. Using FTP, I uploaded a few images to a couple of different folders and selected your 'Insert an image' option to post it. I then copied and pasted the link into single-line box that displays hit the insert button and nothing happens. Pasting the link directly into the text panel doesn't work either. If you control click on the link, it opens the correct Fasthosts folder and I can see the image in the list. As the login box is empty I can only assume that it is a security issue that is preventing the download onto your site.

I hate to throw this one at you on a Sunday and hope that there is a simple answer. Thank you for your time, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and head down.

8 hours ago, Radfan Hunters said:

I know I'm taking a chance here but exasperation has got the better of me, so my apologies up-front.

I am not an aircraft modeler but I enjoy admiring the work of those that do. Frequently post appear requesting information of colours, aircraft features, markings etc. that go unanswered. During my RAF career I took several thousand photographs of all types of aircraft and would dearly wish to provide a visual answer for the forum concerned. But I just can't find a way to upload them.

I read the FAQs and decided to use Fasthosts as my images source as I already have an account with them. Using FTP, I uploaded a few images to a couple of different folders and selected your 'Insert an image' option to post it. I then copied and pasted the link into single-line box that displays hit the insert button and nothing happens. Pasting the link directly into the text panel doesn't work either. If you control click on the link, it opens the correct Fasthosts folder and I can see the image in the list. As the login box is empty I can only assume that it is a security issue that is preventing the download onto your site.

I hate to throw this one at you on a Sunday and hope that there is a simple answer. Thank you for your time, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and head down.

Is there a private/public option? Maybe you need to put your photos into a public folder.

My 2 cents.

Chris

This topic continues though its been answered but not in a way that sounds simple to most because the path does not permit finding the image you want posted. The easiest way to post "your" images is find a web site that does not constrain images.
spacer.png
Use that web site as your up link to this site. As an example the B-47 image below was in my WattFlyer.com thread...an unconstrained website. Once posted there all you do is right click the posted image to select "copy image address" then return to britmodeler.com where you simply enter the address you copied in the url address entry point.

It takes seconds to use this method and it does not load up britmodeler's server...which is why images are constrained.

spacer.png
spacer.png

Edited by Flite-Metal

20 hours ago, Radfan Hunters said:

As Chris @dogsbody has already mentioned, you should make sure that your photos are loaded into a public area, and that your URL is correctly formed.  When I first used Filezilla I copied the URL from within the app, then pasted it directly, resulting in an ftps:// and a load of jibberish for the full URL as seen from the server.  When we do that now, we have to pull out the extra bits of URL out, change the ftps:// to https://  and put in the www. instead of the server name.  Not sure how that'll work with your server and ftp client, but it should/could give you some clues. :)

12 hours ago, Flite-Metal said:

a web site that does
not constrain images.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, but if you copy a link to your photo from your hosts, you should just be able to drop it into the post and press enter to turn it into a pic.  You can also Insert other media and choose Insert image from URL and it'll drop the pic wherever your cursor was (watch that, as if you click away and then click back, the cursor can end up at the top of the post window).  You can also copy your image URL and pop it into the address bar of a new tab to check it works.  Many, many ways to skin this particular feline, and all of them are fairly simple. :)

No cats were harmed in the making of this post :cat:

• Like 1

Thank you for all of your replies, much appreciate. My frustration is now over thanks to Dave Swindell's suggestion to try Smugmug. It was easy to set up and the copylink option works with no problem, five Hunter images posted on two threads. Thank you Dave.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

Testing...

20200805_210818

Yes, I know, absolutely shocking! 

I really like to see people’s work spaces. I am glad to see it is not the only one that ends up working on an area the size of a dinner plate on a reasonably large desk! 😂

Is it possible to post photos using an Android phone ?    I've had no problem posting them with my PC, as it was possible to right-click and 'copy image address', but on my new phone, it only seems to be able to copy the link address, not the image address, which of course just inserts a line of text rather than the photo.  Unless someone knows otherwise......

6 hours ago, Bear Paw said:

I really like to see people’s work spaces. I am glad to see it is not the only one that ends up working on an area the size of a dinner plate on a reasonably large desk! 😂

My A3 sized cutting mat is exclusively reserved for my models I'll have you know🤣. It's just the rest of the table that seems to attract items of tangential use🤔. I do keep meaning to do something about it, and seeing as jobs are 90% inspiration or something, my desk lives in a permanent state of near completion. 🤓

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Flite-Metal said:

Those are near empty shelves...?

We have 2 cats. This is also why I know the earth is round, because if it was flat, cats would of pushed everything off it by now. Like my 1/72 Academy F-8P(FN) you see the replacement for in the left of the pic. And others.  

I have a display cabinet I inherited behind the desk that keeps my completed efforts safely away from kids and pets now, behind some sturdy plate glass.  

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Hello gents - trying to figure out how to post - we'll see:

4_hood_high.JPG

If this works....It's a Peterbilt 348 4x4 - the cab is from a kit - hood/bonnet and most other parts are scratch built or kitbashed -  and so on  - if it works, I'll try and start a post in the vehicles section 

Here we go - 

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1