Yom Kippur opponents.....1/48 MiG-21F-13 vs. Mirage IIICJ

Reini78

Sadly I don´t have always the time to follow my dad´s progress on his models but nevertheless I have decided to post some wip stuff.

As ususal, he has several ongoing projects, on of them is this Yom Kippur War pair, an Egypt MiG-21F-13 and an Israeli Mirage IIICJ.

For the MiG my dad uses the very nice Trumpeter kit

DSC_0001_zpsqqxrbosa.jpg

with Aztec decals

DSC_0002_zpsvcwbehrq.jpg

camo applied, used Tamyia XF-58 Olive Green and XF-55 Deck Tan, the underside colour is a selfmix my dad made some year ago.

DSC_0001_zps5j9syrro.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsm6rwuhxs.jpg

Regarding the Mirage, my dad initially started with the Eduard kit, but due to bad fit and warped parts he thrashed it and turned to the Hobby Boss kit, which is mostly a copy of the Eduard one but easier to build. Only visual nitpick of the Hobby Boss kit are the cones of the air intakes, they should be centered, HB molded them slightly too upwards

DSC_0005_zpshc7uksrr.jpg

my dad kept the already built seat from the Eduard kit, fits perfectly into the HB cockpit tub

DSC_0011_zpsdyuefcte.jpg

mostly built up already, camo applied with Gunze H310, 312, 313, 314

DSC_0003_zps0ppb4prs.jpg

DSC_0005_zpsr1ui56dz.jpg

DSC_0003_zpskyltgmrx.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsi3dlk4zo.jpg

DSC_0004_zpssjm95nxk.jpg

DSC_0001_zpsyavphfzk.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsyeafsmbj.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsxqonxy2w.jpg

decaling on the MiG done, Aztec decals are a bit thicker and aren´t very sticky, my dad used Gunze Mr. Mark Setter and Mark Softer and the decals went on troublefree

DSC_0001_zpsirhsskks.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsrz2xpu2v.jpg

washing done

DSC_0001_zpssxijhkux.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsbls1z3nr.jpg

everything sealed with flat coat

DSC_0009_zps8qg2xynh.jpg

now on to the rest, landing gear, armament...

DSC_0010_zpscysewekp.jpg

DSC_0012_zpsyr4qgxpn.jpg

Edited by Reini78
  • Like 9

Finally the MiG is standing on its own feet, canopy removed (was only mounted with Micro Klear for painting it together with the fuselage).
Didn´t know if these MiGs had still the grey cockpit colour or already the turquoise one, dicided for the latter, paint was a 50:50 mix with Gunze H46 Emerald Green and H25 Sky Blue.

DSC_0019_zpsmkiqmgy1.jpg

DSC_0020_zpsq3v1aavd.jpg

DSC_0022_zpsiun6nph6.jpg

• Like 3

Finally the MiG is standing on its own feet, canopy removed (was only mounted with Micro Klear for painting it together with the fuselage).
Didn´t know if these MiGs had still the grey cockpit colour or already the turquoise one, dicided for the latter, paint was a 50:50 mix with Gunze H46 Emerald Green and H25 Sky Blue.

DSC_0019_zpsmkiqmgy1.jpg

DSC_0020_zpsq3v1aavd.jpg

DSC_0022_zpsiun6nph6.jpg

• Like 2

no more pics of the MiG, very soon you´ll see the finished one :)

almost all decals done, sadly weren´t the newest anymore, had some problems with th triangles and had to do some repaintingin the black areas, at least it´realistic, the original ones were also applied with brush..

DSC_0001_zpsmrrbxz50.jpg

DSC_0002_zpspm36wann.jpg

DSC_0003_zpso86oj9yi.jpg

furthermore, my dad didn´t think if the tringle decals when he applied the pylons before....so he had to cut them into three pieces to get them on, also here some repainting necessary

DSC_0004_zpskjq0sbgk.jpg

• Like 3

Great duo, I like that!

CJ #159 participation in the October war was very short, it did get one kill on the 6th, then was heavily damaged in an aborted take off due to a punctured tire on the 7th, which put it out of the war (IIRC, repairs took about one year). The triangle recognition marking were painted on the CJ and 5J fleet when the Libyan Mirages entered the stage, about mid-war, but #159 was then back at IAI for a complete refit/overhaul. It did get the triangles in the end, when he came back to service, but latter in 1974, well after the war.

damn! :) thanks for the info, didn´t know about that

but info on this aircraft is a bit confusing, have Osprey s book Mirage Aces, there the damaged aircraft seems to wear "59" and can´t tell which engine, a profile in the book shows it with a 9C, in the IsraDecal book about the Yom Kippur war there are different pics of the aircraft which show "259" on the tail and it has a 9B engine

and then there´s this pic with "159", after the repair? but why didn´t they install then the better 9C engine?

6_zps2wbzyasj.jpg

Edited by Reini78

No confusion, 59 is the aircraft number, based on the Dassault serial. It's not true for every Mirage IIICJ, due to losses and rebuild, but it's ok for most.

The first number depend on Israeli classification, that changed a lot in time.

In any picture, if 59 is camouflaged and doesn't wear triangles, that's before or very early in the October war (6th or 7th) and the engine is a 9B.

Damaged, it's 7th october 1973, or shortly after.

In camo and triangles, that's from 1974, and the engine is certainly a 9C.

As for your picture, the aircraft is out of surgery, with some mods (see the dorsal antenna). Maybe the ATAR is still a B, but technicaly speaking, I assume it's no big deal to change to the C, it will certainly be done in the next workshop, as the aircraft is not yet back to ops status.

In its latter service, it was also a recce bird.

15 hours ago, Reini78 said:

thanks for the clarification!

well, then my dad or I have to build, besides one for the 6 Day War, one further Mirage for the Yom Kippur War....

it´s a beautiful aircraft, so why not build more of it :)

Well, that was not my point, both kits are still representative of the october war of 1973.