A few Russian planes built from Russian kits

Ozmac

A few years ago a friend came across a stash of boxed plastic model kits left behind by a Russian trade delegation at some kind of trade show. The Russians abandoned the boxes, saying to my friend "take what you like" and so he bought home as many as he and his wife could carry. Once I took up model-building in 2013, he gave me a selection of these freebie kits so I could practise model-building with them. While they were as rough as guts, they taught me a bit about sanding, filling and all the basic modelling skills. So here they are.

First up, there are three different Yak 3s, all in 1/48 scale. All the writing on the box is Russian, so I don't know who makes the kits, unfortunately.

b6nv.jpg

sca4.jpg

lq54.jpg

The decals were old and crumbly, but I found some after-marker decals on eBay and used them up on the three planes I practised on.

The Yak 3 was reportedly a very capable fighter, highly manouvrable and not to be underestimated in combat.

To give you an idea how rough and basic the kits are, two pix

4sn5.jpg

9zer.jpg

That's one whole Yak 3 kit, and these are the nasty propeller castings.

Next plane is a twin-engined light bomber/utility/transport plane, the Yak 6 (in 1/72 scale). Same as with the Yak 3, the box was all in Russian.

mi07.jpg

44hz.jpg

r1yk.jpg

rr3f.jpg

vmfi.jpg

FInally, a Polikarpov R5, a late 20s/early 30s military plane used in various roles, including reconnaissance and light bombing, which was used in the Battle of Kalkin Gol (Russians v Japanese), in Mongolia, in 1939. They were still in use in WWII supporting the partisans, especially at night (it was too slow for daytime work). It was powered by a 47-litre BMW engine, built under licence by the Russians.

zKgm2x.jpg

Ly4Nyl.jpg

7UHvd2.jpg

Edited by Ozmac
  • Like 9

Oh cool, you've got the version of the Yak 6 with skis! Here's the box that my Yak 6 came in. When I opened the box, there were two kits in it, that's why I built two of them. Of course I gave the other one to my mate, along with his pick of the Yak 3s, if there is such a thing.

g8bn.jpg

And here's the Polikarpov's box. And (*smacks forehead*) I'd totally forgotten that it did have a brand. It's Apex brand, whatever that is.

hWhbhD.jpg