What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

Grabbed one of these F2 Brabham’s on EvilBay before the price goes nuts. Paid $59.99 USD + free shipping minus $5 eBay discount for direct credit card payment = $55 USD which is pretty reasonable these days for any 1/20 Ebbro F1 kit. I’m not in love with this particular car but have been intrigued by the builds I’ve seen posted, particular with the body panels off. It’s the first kit I’ve seen with actual individual injection molded coil springs.

spacer.png

I first learned of Ebbro’s 1/20 F1 kits at an IPMS show I attended in 2013 where I picked up the Lotus 49 and Lotus 72C kits for $40/ ea……If I only knew then where the prices would go I would have grabbed an extra 49! Another reminder that if you see it, want it and have the $, get it!

• Like 7

Factory sealed '65 Grand Prix!  I find it hard to resist rebuying the kits I had when I was younger.  I built one of these when it came out (the Prestige boxing, not the original) but didn't do a good job.  I'm not leaving this one in the stash, I think a simple OOB build will be my next project.

65GP01-vi.jpg

• Like 6

Group build candidate. I already had a AMT '67 Mustang earmarked for that, but any excuse...  😳   This thing needs as much corrective surgery as their '70 Cuda, so if that becomes an obstacle, the '67 might end up taking its place.

69Boss01-vi.jpg

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Six97s said:

Group build candidate. I already had a AMT '67 Mustang earmarked for that, but any excuse...  😳   This thing needs as much corrective surgery as their '70 Cuda, so if that becomes an obstacle, the '67 might end up taking its place.

69Boss01-vi.jpg

That's a very nice looking Mustang especially in that colour scheme a great choice imo 👌 👍 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Six97s said:

This thing needs as much corrective surgery as their '70 Cuda

What is wrong with it? I thought they corrected it.

I'm going to build it as a Boss 429 - the inner wings already have the spaced-out shock towers carried over from the original Monogram Boss 429 version, which aren't correct for a Boss 302 or any other production Mustang.   The Boss 302 stripes in the kit are the wrong shape anyway, so now I've discovered that, I can't overlook it.  😑

Mustang_overlay2-vi.jpg

Aside from that, the body needs a fair bit of work, because OOB it looks rather dumpy and foreshortened compared with the real thing:

• Wheel arches are the wrong shape
  • Sill to belt line area through the doors is too tall and wedge shaped
  • Rear quarter windows are the wrong shape
  • Grill and headlamps, while better than the previous CJ428 Mach 1 release, still aren't right
  • The interior is unchanged from the '69 Shelby GT500, so it has the roll bar mounts behind the seats and Shelby snake badges on the door panels.  At least they provide some faux woodgrain decals with Mustang badging for the door panels.

That said, I've seen box stock builds that look nice. I built the '70 Boss 429 and the '69 Shelby in the '80s and I was happy with those at the time, but I think there's  room for improvement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am happy my untrained eyes don't see all the inaccuracies people point out with kits. :) Unfortunately that is not the case with Revell's new E-Type though.

Edited by dbostream
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, Six97s said:

69Boss01-vi.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on the Mustang group build. I might have to join in. 👍

• Like 3

Ok so I didn't technically buy it but I got it for my birthday yesterday.spacer.png

And not a model but car related so please let me off, another birthday present

spacer.png

Add to that the natural light led lamp that I asked for for modelling that means that for once my wife actually listened to me and got things off my list! 😄. Normally I get a "your list is boring" comment. I do remind her it's for me and not her but that doesn't always work..🙄

• Like 4
  • Haha 4