What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

Dominio Italy sell Tamiya products on Amazon UK. I got a bottle of black panel wash from them. £6.49 plus £4.29 postage.

I don't know how the UK importer could be persuaded to expand the range of Tamiya products they import. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While at Oulton Park today I bought this from Millingtons , a seller with a great choice on an actual real stall ( ! ) , who I have used on e bay before .  Need some Marlboro red paint and lettering now and this might be one that gets built . 
Gary . 
51216072173_fb92d1718e_c_d.jpg

• Like 6

A birthday present for me- purchased from the Bay of  E for £73. I always wanted a Lotus Elite,but a real one,still no such luck yet....Anyway,quite pleased with this one as it doesn't have that many parts. Oh,it's a 1/24 resin kit. Chris.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 7

Very nice Chris.  I saw a Lotus Elite like that driving up the Fosse Way on Saturday, they are such pretty cars.

This is my latest purchase.

y4mFSIgcZ55fU2OgYax3HqSQOGX5zFP7aSEJ6FWj

Somehow this one passed me by back in the day, despite keeping fairly close watch on Tamiya's output back in the 1980s.  I had the AMG SL and assumed there must have been a standard SL.  The kit came from eBay and appears to be pretty much as new, one plastic bag slightly opened but that's all.  It comes with some decals to represent checked cloth upholstery, but I don't think I've seen a SL with anything other than leather seats.

• Like 7

Wanted the Jaguar but since the shipping fee was the same no matter how many kits I bought I got three more.

Already have the Austin Healey but I've been thinking about making the bonnet open and finding a suitable engine, now I have a spare if I mess it up.

Fujimi makes a nice Daytona but have not found one at a price I like so I settled for the Italeri one instead. Planning on picking up the Coupé at some point too.

I have the "standard" Mercedes-Benz 500 SL from Fujimi and a lot of the parts are the same in this Koenig version. No real Mercedes fan but I think this one looks really good especially without the roof. Shame there is no engine.

spacer.png

• Like 5

@dbostream great collection of kits.  At least with the Koenig SL you won't have the problem that I had with the Tamiya AMG 500SL where the bonnet doesn't fit over the engine.  I'm a bit concerned over the Tamiya 500SL kit I just bought that the same fit issue will crop up.

We had a bit of discussion on here about the relative merits of the Fujimi and Italeri Ferrari 365 GTB/4 and I think the Italeri is actually the more accurate body shape even if the Fujimi is what you think a Daytona should look like.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, dbostream said:

Wanted the Jaguar but since the shipping fee was the same no matter how many kits I bought I got three more.

Already have the Austin Healey but I've been thinking about making the bonnet open and finding a suitable engine, now I have a spare if I mess it up.

Fujimi makes a nice Daytona but have not found one at a price I like so I settled for the Italeri one instead. Planning on picking up the Coupé at some point too.

I have the "standard" Mercedes-Benz 500 SL from Fujimi and a lot of the parts are the same in this Koenig version. No real Mercedes fan but I think this one looks really good especially without the roof. Shame there is no engine.

spacer.png

I would suggest either a Tamiya or Revell Mini Cooper for the Sprite engine. If the kit has a 'dummy engine' panel with sump and bottom of gearbox, you could combine that with the A series from the Mini.

Problem is, the price of the Mini Cooper kits 😲

All the best, Steve.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, triumphfan said:

I would suggest either a Tamiya or Revell Mini Cooper for the Sprite engine. If the kit has a 'dummy engine' panel with sump and bottom of gearbox, you could combine that with the A series from the Mini.

Problem is, the price of the Mini Cooper kits 😲

All the best, Steve.

Thank you for the suggestion. Yeah the price is crazy nowadays, I bought the Tamiya Mini Cooper kit on eBay in 2012 for almost nothing (unfortunately I have built it now)...

My latest purchase arrived today - the AMT 1/16 1957 Ford Thunderbird . In common with the rest of the  AMT 1/16 cars , not the most sophisticated of kits but looks nice enough . 

• Like 2

On 03/06/2021 at 22:16, johnlambert said:

This is my latest purchase.

Somehow this one passed me by back in the day, despite keeping fairly close watch on Tamiya's output back in the 1980s.  I had the AMG SL and assumed there must have been a standard SL.  The kit came from eBay and appears to be pretty much as new, one plastic bag slightly opened but that's all.  It comes with some decals to represent checked cloth upholstery, but I don't think I've seen a SL with anything other than leather seats.

I remember this one. You must build the SL with checked cloth upholstery John, it's so much more interesting in model form than leather, and I don't understand the preference for leather seats anyway. Either too hot, too cold and always slippery. Wipe clean I suppose, but personally I don't find I need that particular quality myself...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, dbostream said:

Thank you for the suggestion. Yeah the price is crazy nowadays, I bought the Tamiya Mini Cooper kit on eBay in 2012 for almost nothing (unfortunately I have built it now)...

I could probably sort you out with an A-series bare engine block if you want one. I could have a root around for carbs and head and stuff, not sure what I've got. Message me if you're interested, 

10 hours ago, Anteater said:

I remember this one. You must build the SL with checked cloth upholstery John, it's so much more interesting in model form than leather, and I don't understand the preference for leather seats anyway. Either too hot, too cold and always slippery. Wipe clean I suppose, but personally I don't find I need that particular quality myself...

I agree that patterned cloth seats are more interesting in model form.

Having owned three cars with leather seats and used them in all weathers I've never understood some of the objections people raise to the material.  I never found them too cold or hot and sticky, I can think of some types of cheap cloth that were almost as bad as vinyl for not letting the skin breathe in the summer.  As for slippery, the shape of the seat should hold you in place rather than the material.  The leather seats in two of my Honda Preludes were probably the best seats in cars I've owned. 

On the other hand, I've driven an Armstrong Siddley 346 Sapphire with a leather front bench and no seatbelts; I didn't have any problems with a steering wheel to hold and my clothes didn't seem to be that slippery.  On one occasion I had a passenger who was slightly less fortunate, her dress didn't have such high Mu contact with the seat and I slightly misjudged the entry speed to a roundabout, which caused her to slide across the upholstery (thankfully she found this hilarious).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It all sounds a bit Terry-Thomas to me, @johnlambert. I bet next you went down a dark track and suddenly ran out of petrol.

Back to car purchases, I haven't posted in this thread for ages as after last years purchasing frenzy, I decided not to spend any money on any cars this year. I tried very hard (honest) but I failed as I couldn't resist this:

Doyusha 1/24 Aston Martin DB5 007 Goldfinger (07-1-2800)

spacer.png

Which comes with some nice figures:

spacer.png

The padlock has now been put back on my wallet to keep the moths and money inside.

Dave

• Like 10

Arrived today. I was surprised to see this come up on ebay late Saturday night - on a Buy It Now of £35. I've seen auction versions go for more, and not often either. Not an especially detailed kit but it should do the job with some extra effort.

spacer.png

• Like 6

A couple of 1982 season NASCAR Buick Regals have arrived over the last few days. First to arrive was a Salvino's JR boxing of Bobby Allison's Daytona 500 winner.

51224374145_e8462dbb19_z.jpgDSCF2260 by timothy jones, on Flickr

The other new arrival is an original 1983 Monogram kit of Buddy Baker's Uno sponsored example, hopefully the decals will be OK.

51236720068_831b82e0e9_z.jpgDSCF2270 by timothy jones, on Flickr

Edited by TimJ
  • Like 2

Unfortunately I learned the buggy and trailer have tires that are plastic like in Airfix kits. Maybe it is possible to find rubber-like tires that fit? But for a static display I guess it doesn't matter that much.

2 hours ago, dbostream said:

Unfortunately I learned the buggy and trailer have tires that are plastic like in Airfix kits. Maybe it is possible to find rubber-like tires that fit? But for a static display I guess it doesn't matter that much.

The undersized wheels on the Bronco would bother me more...  those definitely need replacing.

48 minutes ago, Six97s said:

The undersized wheels on the Bronco would bother me more...  those definitely need replacing.

I googled and there seems to be a lot of different sized tires used for this vehicle. But I agree definitely looks better with bigger tires.

Today I received, not really a Kit but, the „7“grille for the super7, a Moto Lita steering wheel and the Banania decal sheet from Motobitz. Fanatastic little items!!
So now it‘s Heller´s turn to start to deliver their Estafette.

Marco F

• Like 5