What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

I got the itch again to have a go at another car kit. Playing too much Gran Turismo had me looking at JDM cars and scored a slightly started Tamiya R34 Skyline GT-R. Rear axle started but is glued nicely and cleanly, the painted interior will get a strip bath, other than that it’s unstarted and snaffled for half the price of a new one. 

Last night I won a Revell 69 Yenko Camaro. With no decent 68/69 Dodge Charger kits knocking about, I broadened my 1/25 Muscle car search and landed the Camaro (probably the 2nd best looking Muscle car after the Charger)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Despite my best intentions of not buying any more car kits (well, at least until the Belkits Ascona 400 is out!!) the postie just left this on the doorstep;

IMG_20210205_125748740

However, there is a particular reason behind the madness of adding yet another 911 to the too many already in the stash. I recently came across the remains of one of the now practically unobtainable Tamiya standard versions of the 996 model 911's that my son had bought and started many moons ago;

IMG_20210205_125854549

I thought only the shell was left, so have been using it as a paint mule, hence it has some crazing of the plastic on the roof -the black paint is a guide coat to show what needs fixing - but then I found all the interior and glazing parts, but can't find the running gear. Being too tight to rob the GT3 kit of parts to build the standard car and waste the rest of the kit, I intend to use the parts to make templates for the missing ones.

Keith

I built the GT3 one over ten years ago (think I posted some pics on here recently - can dig them out if of interest?) - it's nice kit, but the detailing of the rear lights gives away its origins in the earlier standard Carrera, as there is no reflector detail behind the lenses.  This is fine on the Carrera, as that had bright red & amber lenses, but the GT3 had neutral tint ones.  If I was to build one again (or perhaps more likely, carefully modify my one!), this is the area I would do differently by cutting / carving away the flat panel behind the lense to create the shape of the reflector.

From memory, a lot of what I guess are regular Carrera parts were left over on the sprues when I built my GT3, such as the higher ride height suspension struts, front bumper & engine cover vent but possibly more, in case you didn't find those parts with your Carrera.  However, I also have a regular Carrera waiting to be built, if you want any detail photos of the parts?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chrisrope said:

With no decent 68/69 Dodge Charger kits knocking about

Out of interest, is it that you don't like the Revell one, or just that it isn't available at the moment?

41 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Out of interest, is it that you don't like the Revell one, or just that it isn't available at the moment?

No nothing wrong with the Revell kit, it’s great. They were just few and far between when I was looking :)

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, chrisrope said:

No nothing wrong with the Revell kit, it’s great. They were just few and far between when I was looking :)

Are you interested in a Charger Chris ? If so , I'll check the stash to see if I have one spare .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul H said:

think I posted some pics on here recently

You did Paul, lovely model it is too! 

1 hour ago, Paul H said:

From memory, a lot of what I guess are regular Carrera parts were left over on the sprues when I built my GT3, such as the higher ride height suspension struts, front bumper & engine cover vent but possibly more, in case you didn't find those parts with your Carrera. 

Thank you for mentioning that, I'd only had a quick glance at the kit to check nothing was broken, so hadn't noticed those 'spares' - I'm particularly glad the engine vent is in there as I didn't fancy trying to scratchbuild that!

1 hour ago, Paul H said:

However, I also have a regular Carrera waiting to be built, if you want any detail photos of the parts?

That's very kind, what I wouldn't mind if you have the time, is a scan of that kit's instruction sheets - I think I now have all, or most of, the parts I need to cobble together a standard Carrera.

Thanks in advance

Keith

• Thanks 1

"Here's some money (£50) for your birthday. Get something you want."

Hmmm, what can I get that costs about £50 :hmmm:

50912638646_8a5e54cc35_b.jpg

The observant of you will notice from the box that Nigel Harris has kicked his sister Angel out of the co-driver's seat. After taking the photo, I opened it up and they've updated the decals too.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, chrisrope said:

Ah - I have one but haven't built it yet.  Was wondering in case it wasn't worth bothering with, so that's good to hear.  Just had a quick check as I knew I'd seen several for sale recently - in case you still want one, Model Hobbies currently have both the Revell USA & Germany releases of the '68 - IIRC, the US one has more optional parts included (& is also cheaper!).  A bit more than the Revell AG one on Prime, but that's awaiting stock.

16 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

You did Paul, lovely model it is too! 

Thank you for mentioning that, I'd only had a quick glance at the kit to check nothing was broken, so hadn't noticed those 'spares' - I'm particularly glad the engine vent is in there as I didn't fancy trying to scratchbuild that!

That's very kind, what I wouldn't mind if you have the time, is a scan of that kit's instruction sheets - I think I now have all, or most of, the parts I need to cobble together a standard Carrera.

Thanks in advance

Keith

Thank you.  At some point, I intend to go back and sort out the front & rear light lenses.  I'm pretty sure I only used clearfix for them, so reckon I can pop them out without damaging anything...

Oh, and I've found the instructions for you on Scalemates: 🙂

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/3/9/0/129390-34-instructions.pdf

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Oh, and I've found the instructions for you on Scalemates:

Brilliant - many thanks for that Paul! 👍

As to the lights, I've just been looking at pics of real 996 GT3s and am wondering if for the front they are painted clear orange inside and then given a coat of clear smoke outside, and for the rear detail painting the red and silver bits on the inside and then again giving the outside a coat of smoke, whether that might work? I've got a few spare clear parts from other kits so will give it a go when I finally get around to the kit!

Thanks again for the instructions link

Keith

6 hours ago, chrisrope said:

Last night I won a Revell 69 Yenko Camaro. With no decent 68/69 Dodge Charger kits knocking about, I broadened my 1/25 Muscle car search and landed the Camaro (probably the 2nd best looking Muscle car after the Charger)

Revell produced some nice kits around that time.  Those '69 Camaros are among their best; I built this one from the first issue in 1991.  I think I used AMT wheels and MPC Goodyear Polyglas tyres instead of the kit wheels and Michelin TRX tyres.

yenko01-vi.jpg

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Spiny said:

"Here's some money (£50) for your birthday. Get something you want."

Hmmm, what can I get that costs about £50 :hmmm:

50912638646_8a5e54cc35_b.jpg

The observant of you will notice from the box that Nigel Harris has kicked his sister Angel out of the co-driver's seat. After taking the photo, I opened it up and they've updated the decals too.

My recently completed Angel Harris car maybe worth a bit in the future then , it being an early pre updated decal version  !!!🤣

Gary.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

As to the lights, I've just been looking at pics of real 996 GT3s and am wondering if for the front they are painted clear orange inside and then given a coat of clear smoke outside, and for the rear detail painting the red and silver bits on the inside and then again giving the outside a coat of smoke, whether that might work? I've got a few spare clear parts from other kits so will give it a go when I finally get around to the kit!

Just pulled it out of the cabinet to have a closer look again.  I reckon the front lights are ok (lack of black sharpie edging aside!) with an orange wash / very thin coat inside, but I was painting details with a hairy stick rather than an airbrush (the body was a rattle can), so I really didn't want to risk messing up the whole lense with brush marks over such a large area.  I reckon the main thing to fix the rear lights is to carve out the reflector shapes in the body itself with a dremel or similar - the actual lense is nicely moulded, but they really need that extra depth from the reflector shaping.  The back of the rear light rebate is just a direct offset of the lense outer surface, so completely featureless.  Have you ever built Tamiya's '86 911 Turbo?  I have one next to the GT3, and comparing the two, it has only basic reflector detail moulded into the aperture, but once the lense goes on, it looks really effective.  I'd also learnt the sharpie trick by that stage to make the lense look realistic, whereas by comparison my GT3 ones look toy-like.

• Like 1

The stash has grown somewhat this week.  I've been off work on holiday so I've been in to receive parcels and thought it was a perfect time to treat myself, especially as I had some unspent Christmas money.

y4mCvyvFsvpTc1Hxubfgdob_neiQsn6oSQERc8Yz

I wanted these two Airfix kits for a while.

y4m6Sv29i2y6DmhYuE5F74ZCq6zfl3b-71YGNjVn

I wanted another Dodge Monaco as I'd like to build two or three versions (civillian, Police and Goon car) so I'm still looking for one more kit.  They were everywhere and suddenly it seems to have gone unavailable.

y4mqrI3zE4P-py_TwcLQPg14Q8buniy1vDlS1sql

I've wanted a Ferrari Daytona for a while, I thought the Fujimi was the only one so I was a little surprised to find this airfix version.  It's a bit disappointing that the box art shows alloy wheels but the kit comes with wire wheels (you can see that the box was still partly sealed, so I don't think anything could have been removed).

• Like 4

That's the Italeri one, and it only came with chrome wires which is a pity however for injection moulded wires, they aren't bad at all.  Revell also reboxed it about 15 years ago, which is the one I have built.  Not as nice as the Fujimi, but with care, it still builds up well.  Italeri also did a racing version and a spider but I don't know if anyone else has reboxed those ones.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Paul H said:

That's the Italeri one, and it only came with chrome wires which is a pity however for injection moulded wires, they aren't bad at all.  Revell also reboxed it about 15 years ago, which is the one I have built.  Not as nice as the Fujimi, but with care, it still builds up well.  Italeri also did a racing version and a spider but I don't know if anyone else has reboxed those ones.

Thanks, I thought it was probably someone else's kit and the wheels looked familiar (they look similar, if not identical, to the ones in an Italeri Ferrari 250 GT SWB kit that I own.

I'll keep my eyes open for a Fujimi Daytona Berlinetta.  I have the Fujimi Daytona Spider Special, I'm not sure how easy it would be to do a wheel swap (or a body swap).

10 hours ago, johnlambert said:

I wanted another Dodge Monaco as I'd like to build two or three versions (civillian, Police and Goon car) so I'm still looking for one more kit.  They were everywhere and suddenly it seems to have gone unavailable.

This is the latest version.  I think it has some new parts and more appropriate wheels and tyres than some of the recent reissues.  I

https://round2corp.com/product/mpc-1978-dodge-monaco-chp-police-car-125-scale-model-kit/

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, chrisrope said:

Can’t say I’ve ever seen a Revell kit sealed like that though 🤔

Yeah I was very surprised never seen it either. There is the normal tape as well underneath the plastic.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marco F. said:

So do I 

Never saw such a wrapping, but I remember big dealer did so bcs they added something like a chip into the cartons to prevent against shoplifters...

Hopefully the contents is OK 

Marco F 

The tape on both sides are intact doubt they have been opened.

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Or a Tamiya...

I have seen unboxings of Tamiya kits wrapped in plastic on Youtube but when I bought the same kits new and they were not.