What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

I have just got hold of one of these, have been looking for ages for one that doesn't cost £100+ (they are getting a bit rare now) and has come as-new, everything still sealed in bags which I am quite pleased about. 

spacer.png

Looking forward to building it, one of my favourite riders from back in the day and the 2-stroke GP era. 

• Like 3

On 16/06/2020 at 16:27, keefr22 said:

I just use white ribbon now, tinting it to any colour with permanent felt pen. :)

Keith

I picked up a big roll of narrow white ribbon in Hobbycraft today.  Should do for a good number of builds.

On 05/06/2020 at 19:05, johnlambert said:

Another rash ebay purchase; I've never done a 'bike kit before, but seeing some of the builds on here put the idea into my head.  These two were incorrectly listed as 1/24 which might have accounted for the lack of interest (or maybe it's the curse of the 'job lot'?).

y4mTxsuZRfdkclLVxDmCmzJWshhwfbOyk2gTyjyJ

I wanted the Honda because I like Honda cars and motorcycles, the original plan was to sell on the Suzuki kit but now I've seen it I wonder if I should build it instead (maybe do it first as a practice before I do the CB750F).

These are the same two kits I started bike modelling on. The Honda turned out pretty well for a first attempt, it is still on my shelf and it is used as a guide of what paints work and don't. I made a bit of a pig's ear of the Katana and is now landfill. Both nice kits, although of their time, are fun builds and a good way to learn about metal paints.

• Like 2

A productive weekend in the rally stash after a socially distanced meet up with @Anteater who kindly let me have the mini at the right price :) 

Then on fathers day my son got me a bottle of wine and a Lego quattro S1 to go on display next to the beemax one I already have. I know it's not a scale model kit, but it looks like great fun and no doubt will bring back many happy memories of both group B and lego :) 

20200622_123401_resized

• Like 7

Another one added to the stash.  I didn't even know that Tamiya did a Fiat Abarth until I found this on eBay.  It came from Belgium but postage was reasonable and didn't take too long.

y4mYYTky_k_7XYIoYV9jbqZHCbwkd7Sk_fYyCaUP

The body shell is really tiny; it makes the Mini look big, just like the real thing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, johnlambert said:

I didn't even know that Tamiya did a Fiat Abarth

Nor me :) 

Never seen one of those before, look forward to seeing it built 

• Like 1

It looks to be from the same range (historic car series) as their Fiat 500 among others. I wouldn't be surprised if they share quite a few parts. I presume it's got the propped open boot lid? Only asking because I see on the box it says "Rear Hood opens to display engine"

21 minutes ago, Spiny said:

It looks to be from the same range (historic car series) as their Fiat 500 among others. I wouldn't be surprised if they share quite a few parts. I presume it's got the propped open boot lid? Only asking because I see on the box it says "Rear Hood opens to display engine"

Yes, it probably does share a lot with the standard Fiat 500 (I'd like one of those but haven't found one yet).

y4mG0_ZlkcE_xL_oWUaaepq6jH3VfVamM_YUhKax

The body is tiny and the wheel arch extensions are separate parts.

As for the engine compartment lid, it hinges at the bottom edge.  I think it was the larger Fiat 600 derived Abarths that had the distinctive propped open lid.  Although some people have built Abarth 595/695 replicas with the lid propped open.

y4mkGHBX9hp92ChvPBTN1AaIsC-j0S8fBl_axWw1

This is a replica that I photographed back in September 2015

y4m-yzB8rcPUbNJyj2knpjEDz9ZFl3xBba2mU2c4

I prefer this colour scheme to the standard grey of the Tamiya kit but I'd have to mask and paint the white stripe.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, johnlambert said:

I prefer this colour scheme to the standard grey of the Tamiya kit but I'd have to mask and paint the white stripe.

You could always spray it overall in white primer, and mask the stripe itself. It doesn't look that difficult a shape... Or do your own scheme in that colour (is it black or dark blue?) but with Tamiya's red stripe decal? Think that would look cool!

Had both the Abarth and standard kit in the past, those are another two i sold on for peanuts and now regret...!! 

Keith

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dbostream said:

It seems many of Tamiya's historic car series kits are hard to come by. I only have the Alfa and the Alpine.

That applies to the rest of their car and motorcycle ranges too . So many great kits that you can't get without spending a fortune on EBay .

Not sure if it's true but I have heard that many of the historic range will never be re-released as the OE manufacturers want too much money to licence the kits. It's simply not worthwhile for Tamiya to produce them.

At, Steve.

• Sad 1

On 6/22/2020 at 4:47 PM, johnlambert said:

Another one added to the stash

You lucky blighter! I have been looking out for one of these since I missed an opportunity for a proper cheap one on the bay a few weeks back.

Cheers,

Alan.

55 minutes ago, triumphfan said:

Not sure if it's true but I have heard that many of the historic range will never be re-released as the OE manufacturers want too much money to licence the kits.

Greed!

Sad really.

Lets just crank out another spitfire/Hurricane/Bf109 ... 

🤕

• Like 2

2 hours ago, triumphfan said:

Not sure if it's true but I have heard that many of the historic range will never be re-released as the OE manufacturers want too much money to licence the kits. It's simply not worthwhile for Tamiya to produce them.

At, Steve.

It seems like a self-defeating philosophy to me; ask too much and Tamiya doesn't bother and the manufacturer get's nothing; ask a bit less and it's worth Tamiya doing a run and the manufacturer gets something.  Now it's probably chicken feed in terms of car company budget but I've always thought that getting 50% of something is better than getting 100% of nothing.

• Like 5

I have no idea how true it is, but I read somewhere that a lot of manufacturers are charging ridiculous licensing fees as a way of dissuading kit manufactures from issuing models of their cars, aircraft etc due to product liability issues - given the sue everybody we can for whatever we can get mentality after any mishap these days, there might be something in it....

Keith

• Like 1

Yet another eBay purchase arrived today.

y4m789KCzuTec7sQQbnegB1xF5-c28aJiWQVUmx3

I'm still on the lookout for the road-going version of the Mk.II.

@keefr22 maybe Jaguar, Fiat, Alfa, etc. are worried that I'll sue them for making cars so tempting I can't resist spending all my money on models of them? 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, johnlambert said:

I'm still on the lookout for the road-going version of the Mk.II.

I'm not sure there's any difference? I can't check as again I sold both kits on for peanuts when car kits weren't worth anything....!! :doh: 

I can't recall any specific racing parts in the BUY 12 kit - but then it looks to be still racing today without a roll cage so I don't know if the real one has much in the way of race equpment in it...

K

8 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I'm not sure there's any difference? I can't check as again I sold both kits on for peanuts when car kits weren't worth anything....!! :doh: 

I can't recall any specific racing parts in the BUY 12 kit - but then it looks to be still racing today without a roll cage so I don't know if the real one has much in the way of race equpment in it...

K

The racing version had triple Webers and different bumpers . It also , I think , had Coombs style rear arches 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

K

17 minutes ago, rs2man said:

The racing version had triple Webers and different bumpers . It also , I think , had Coombs style rear arches 

Yes, the wheel arches are the most noticeable difference, I'd not noticed the bumpers.  The kit includes twin SU or triple Webber carburettors.  I'm not sure if the front seats are different and doesn't the road-going Mk.II kit come with some sort of carpet?

• Like 1

The race kit also has a different grille with fewer vertical slats, and grilles instead of secondary headlights. There’s also a boxy structure that fits into a cut out on the inner wing to provide clearance for the triple Weber set up...

best,

M.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1