What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

1 hour ago, Marco F. said:

The 4spoke Ronald are available in:

13" with 185/70-13 Rubber and

deep dish 7,5x13 with 215/50-13 Rubber

The Minilites are available in 13+15"

https://motobitz.uk/accessories.html

Marco F

Hi Marco, I have looked on the site and could see the options, but just wondered whether these are the 13 or 15 inch ones as I didn't want the wrong ones  :) 

This is my latest acquisition, bought some time last year.

y4mdVvsdrWpkw9uHTlg_yEtsCtap_digZxSFeudk

A friend of mine owns a TVR S and was complaining that you can't get a model of one, so I'll make this up for him.

Not too many parts (there are a few more still in the box) but preparing and painting might be a challenge.  I've never done a metal 1/43rd kit before.  When I've finished at least one of my current builds I'll start on this one in its own WIP thread.

y4mi7un02sryO470lCcUjDY9v-cgnGlB00AyCKy_

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 3:55 PM, Redstaff said:

Hi Marco, I have looked on the site and could see the options, but just wondered whether these are the 13 or 15 inch ones as I didn't want the wrong ones  :) 

Mine are the 15” with Dunlop tyre tread ,MBA24025 :)

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, FunkyChiken said:

Great buy, is it curb-side?

Mostly yes, the bonnet is moulded on. Has the bottom of the engine and gearbox and a top  part you can see through the bonnet grilles but it’s not a fully detailed engine. It’s enough ;) 

• Like 1

Another one for the "cars which share a name and not much else with cars I own/have owned" set, although in fairness this is the right version. At the very least, it's the closest kit I'm aware of to the ST sat on my drive. I've been looking for one of these for about three years and had pretty much given up on finding one for sale, let alone at a decent price. So when I found this one lurking in the depths of Amazon at £40 I wasn't going to hang about :penguin:, even if it did mean using up a good chunk of the budget set aside for the 6R4.

49943029102_1fbeb08727_c.jpg

I know from comments on my Fiesta build that decals strike terror into some BM members, so if you're one of them this is not a kit for you - the decal numbering goes up to (at least) 144, with I'd guess in excess of 160 individual decals to place 😲

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

So when I found this one lurking in the depths of Amazon at £40 I wasn't going to hang about

That was a good find - I think mine cost more than that when it was first released!

Keith

• Like 1

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That was a good find - I think mine cost more than that when it was first released!

Keith

I thought that as soon as I saw it - not sure why but Amazon listed the retailer who was out of stock first rather than the one with one left :huh: Not that I'm complaining through.

Did you get yours built? I've heard that the doors aren't great on it, so if they are virtually impossible to get right I might end up doing with the doors open instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spiny said:

Did you get yours built?

Not yet, still in the box - like most of the kits I've ever bought! Not heard about the problem with the doors tbh, thanks for the heads up. :)

Keith

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Not yet, still in the box - like most of the kits I've ever bought! Not heard about the problem with the doors tbh, thanks for the heads up. :)

Keith

Just something I read somewhere - what I can't guarantee is that the person who wrote that hadn't just built it badly. It'll be a while before this works its way through the stash, but the doors are something I will be test fitting very carefully.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 8:51 PM, Spiny said:

Another one for the "cars which share a name and not much else with cars I own/have owned" set, although in fairness this is the right version. At the very least, it's the closest kit I'm aware of to the ST sat on my drive. I've been looking for one of these for about three years and had pretty much given up on finding one for sale, let alone at a decent price. So when I found this one lurking in the depths of Amazon at £40 I wasn't going to hang about :penguin:, even if it did mean using up a good chunk of the budget set aside for the 6R4.

49943029102_1fbeb08727_c.jpg

I know from comments on my Fiesta build that decals strike terror into some BM members, so if you're one of them this is not a kit for you - the decal numbering goes up to (at least) 144, with I'd guess in excess of 160 individual decals to place 😲

I used to have an ST too, in fact I've had the petrol and diesel versions, great engine, fantastic chassis!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FunkyChiken said:

I used to have an ST too, in fact I've had the petrol and diesel versions, great engine, fantastic chassis!

Can't disagree, although this is the only one I've had (for just short of 10 years now). Love the 5-cylinder sound, such a shame current cars don't seem to come with such characterful engines now. :(

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Can't disagree, although this is the only one I've had (for just short of 10 years now). Love the 5-cylinder sound, such a shame current cars don't seem to come with such characterful engines now. :(

It was a long time ago, but I had a nice long test-drive of a 5-cylinder Focus ST all over Worcestershire; a drive that was memorable for all the right reasons and the engine certainly made it stand out against other hatchbacks.

• Like 1

Well, it all depends on how you define "recently", but, through a recent post here, I've just acquired the third one.

49963947042_5159b5b8e4_c.jpg

So, what I have is Tamiya's road going version modelled on a '74, which I've had part done for years, then the '71 Monte version, bought late last year, which is actually a bit of a con as it's the same as the '74 except the six spoke wheels, door handles and rally decals, which means it has incorrect rear suspension and should have double shocks.

So, a bit of scratching required, but luckily the Heller one, which is modelled as a '73 with the flared arches, has modelled the double shocks.

Nothing is going to happen to these for quite a while as there's a lot of sorting, tidying and general throwing away of stuff being done in this house.

Edited by MR2Don
Getting photo right!!
  • Like 2

It's a dangerous thing to have a bit of spare cash and an internet connection.  Three ebay auctions and an online trip to Hobbycraft have resulted in the following:

y4mZ-HvFtv3ZP7T4nCu_dLqwSDe-raox_S0Auesv

The Corvette is brand new.  The Jaguar I wanted to see how accurate it was as a kit; both the Jaguar and Mini are "used" but the internal plastic bags are unopened and the kits appear complete (I've always wanted an Austin version of Tamiya's Cooper S).  The Mercedes-Benz, I'd forgotten this kit existed but it's one of my favourite cars; it's been started but only just and appears complete.  I'd better complete some of my current projects so I can start on these.

@Spiny thanks for the comment (when I posted in the Metro 6R4 thread by accident).  I'm glad we didn't end up bidding against each other on the Jaguar.  I might need to track down another kit or two as there are several build options.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnlambert said:

The Jaguar I wanted to see how accurate it was as a kit;

I have a couple of those XK120s waiting to be built and my understanding is that it is a pretty decent kit (despite being tooled about forty years ago), aside from the bonnet fit being poor & very prominent mold seams along the flanks (all can be fixed with filler & sanding).  Detail wise, the only criticism I am aware of is that the moulding on the steel wheels is a bit simplified compared to reality.  It was originally Monogram, and one of a series that had a diecast bodyshell (others were the MG TC and '56 Thunderbird), which may explain the body issues now that it is being molded in polystyrene.  However they do look fab when built well, especially with the spats over the rear wheels.

My only recent car purchase is also a Monogram kit, this time their 540K cabrio (inspired by a recent build on here of Revell's recent re-issue) to go with the Duesenburg I recently bought and the Cord & Packard ones I have already built from the same series.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Paul H said:

I have a couple of those XK120s waiting to be built and my understanding is that it is a pretty decent kit (despite being tooled about forty years ago), aside from the bonnet fit being poor & very prominent mold seams along the flanks (all can be fixed with filler & sanding).  Detail wise, the only criticism I am aware of is that the moulding on the steel wheels is a bit simplified compared to reality.  It was originally Monogram, and one of a series that had a diecast bodyshell (others were the MG TC and '56 Thunderbird), which may explain the body issues now that it is being molded in polystyrene.  However they do look fab when built well, especially with the spats over the rear wheels.

My only recent car purchase is also a Monogram kit, this time their 540K cabrio (inspired by a recent build on here of Revell's recent re-issue) to go with the Duesenburg I recently bought and the Cord & Packard ones I have already built from the same series.

The "problem" with the kit is that the body has separate side lights and ventilation flaps in the front wings.  As far as I can tell these features were never available at the same time from the factory; the wing vents were added at the same time as the side lights became part of the front wing pressing.  It's nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of filler.  It is also true that some XKs had the vents added after they were built.

The kit includes number plates for NUB 120, possibly the most famous XK120 (the car Ian Appleyard used to win the Alpine Rally), but the kit isn't quite right for NUB, which is an alloy-bodied XK and the scuttle on those is slightly narrower with thicker rubber pads at the base of the windscreen.  Plus NUB has wire wheels, which aren't included in the kit.

Before lockdown I was a volunteer guide at the British Motor Museum and I've spent a lot of time looking at NUB 120 and the standard steel-bodied XK120 (34th from last and last RHD as I recall) so I'm a bit of an XK nerd (although there is always someone who knows more).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah - I'm not that familar with the details on XKs, but that's very useful to know if trying to replicate a particular year.  However at least with both sets of details, as you say it should be easy to dechrome & blend in the side lights or fill the ventilation flap panel lines as appropriate.

I've never been a fan of wire wheels (having to clean the 18" ones on the 1937 Riley Lynx Sprite that my father had when I was a child might have something to do with it though) so will definatly be building mine with the steels & spats.  My kits are packed away in the loft so I cannot check, but doesn't this Revell release also have decals for a different UK registration plate (along side the moulded plates), or is the decal still NUB120 too?

1 hour ago, Paul H said:

Ah - I'm not that familar with the details on XKs, but that's very useful to know if trying to replicate a particular year.  However at least with both sets of details, as you say it should be easy to dechrome & blend in the side lights or fill the ventilation flap panel lines as appropriate.

I've never been a fan of wire wheels (having to clean the 18" ones on the 1937 Riley Lynx Sprite that my father had when I was a child might have something to do with it though) so will definatly be building mine with the steels & spats.  My kits are packed away in the loft so I cannot check, but doesn't this Revell release also have decals for a different UK registration plate (along side the moulded plates), or is the decal still NUB120 too?

Sorry, yes, I should have clarified.  The number plates are moulded with NUB 120 (I've not checked if there are plain plates too or if you have to cut away the moulded letters) but there are decals for a variety of different registrations for various countries.

• Thanks 1