What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

@jered I had the pennzoil r34 as a much younger modeler and I now kick myself for being young and not leaving it in the box, I destroyed it and now they’re ridiculously priced! Good job finding it a friend 

• Like 1

On 19/05/2023 at 06:57, Fnick said:

No no. It had merely be put on hold whilst you consider whether buying models as a long term investment is a good idea.

Nick

Maybe not an investment, but seeing as it only cost some Nectar points +49p including P&P I could always use models to turn Nectar points into cash! Though I think I would rather build it than sell it on, it just might take 4 or 5 years to get to the building process.

Anyway, this was what came in the post today, bought off eBay from the UK Blood Cancer charity shop so not only did it feel like a reasonable deal looking at the sold prices (even if this was the low tech version) but also the money went to a good cause :)

52917913664_b1763b0839_b.jpg

• Like 17

Hi Spiny,

I've built the Elan some time ago for a client ( I used to build kits for people who couldn't make their own!) - it's a nice kit. I had to make a roll cage and belts for it but otherwise, it was from the box. Even Gunze's silly flexible parts  looked OK. Only problem I had was with the paint and only on the bonnet - I used a full-size car spray can as usual. Maybe it was a fault with the plastic or a problem with the paint. In the end I just kept rubbing it down and respraying until it was OK.

Otherwise, a nice, straightforward kit.

Dave

• Like 3

Hi Keith,

The flexible bits are OK if you treat them pretty much as you'd treat ordinary plastic parts. They can be painted with enamels ( I dry-brushed them as the real car I was modelling had black upholstery). I think I stuck them in place with 5 min. epoxy. Mine were a good fit but they're very easily persuaded to fit well. Altering them or trimming is an entirely different matter though. They don't respond to abrasives like a harder plastic. You just need to be a bit more careful with them but why Gunze thought it was a good idea to use a flexible material in the first place................................

Dave

PS Mine was finished in an awful sandy-brown colour. Not entirely convinced that that was a good idea either.

Edited by Fastcat
Too eager to press a button
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all of you, it's good to know both that my 6500 points are well spent and to hear how to deal with the weird floppy 'rubber' pieces. Thanks for the tips - I'm sure in 4 years or so you'll be needing to remind me of them but I'll try to store them in my memory bank.

No idea of colour yet, but definitely not white as there looks to be a little bit of yellowing to the decals. @Fastcat mentioned brown, and Google did reveal a lovely looking Tawny Bronze version or two, but it seems that only came out towards the end so too late for an S3. There were also some lovely orange ones, but I fear I may have a few too many orange cars by then. Still, plenty of time to make up my mind.

• Like 2

My sister asked for my help to sort through their garage. Doing so, I found these all the way in the back corner. 

PXL_20230526_185112084-L.jpg

I had completely forgotten they were there. Most seem to be complete although the Corvettes are a bit mixed up. The Chevzoom had two bodies in the box as does the '69 Camaro. I'm going to have to go through them in a bit more detail later. 

• Like 8

On 23/05/2023 at 20:58, Spiny said:

a lovely looking Tawny Bronze version or two, but it seems that only came out towards the end so too late for an S3.

Restored car - paint it any colour you want....!! :wink: (that's always my excuse anyway!)

Keith

• Like 3

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Restored car - paint it any colour you want....!! :wink: (that's always my excuse anyway!)

Keith

That's the great thing with our hobby. 

We can create our personal version. 

If someone is so serious to build it 100% original it's totally appreciated by everyone,  but I think it's not the rule everyone has to follow.

Pride and joy is the THING 

All the best 

Marco F 

• Like 3

Continuing the Gunze theme... I discovered the Austin Healey is missing the fire extinguisher and a switch on the dashboard unfortunately but should not be too difficult to scratch build if I can find good pictures.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And now for something completely different.

spacer.png

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, Spiny said:

That's a nice collection of Gunze kits, I particularly like the Frogeye (Sprite). Do they all come with the weird rubbery sprue like the Lotus does?

Well, the TR and XK-E do. I’d be interested to hear your views @dbostream on the body shape of the E-Type. A while back I was looking really closely at the bodies of E-Type kits in my stash, and the Airfix “Hi-Tech” kit (which is the Gunze original, not the Heller) looks as if the rear haunches are not quite symmetrical. Can you see anything like that on your Gunze original?

best,

M.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Spiny said:

That's a nice collection of Gunze kits, I particularly like the Frogeye (Sprite). Do they all come with the weird rubbery sprue like the Lotus does?

All Gunze kits I own (Triumph, E-Type, Sprite, Lotus) have rubbery interior parts.

19 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Well, the TR and XK-E do. I’d be interested to hear your views @dbostream on the body shape of the E-Type. A while back I was looking really closely at the bodies of E-Type kits in my stash, and the Airfix “Hi-Tech” kit (which is the Gunze original, not the Heller) looks as if the rear haunches are not quite symmetrical. Can you see anything like that on your Gunze original?

best,

M.

I had a look from different angles and it looked good to me but it is hard to tell.

Edited by dbostream
  • Like 1

I built the Gunze Jaguar XK-E last year.  I'm currently having problems with photo hosting so I can't share pictures.  The shape looked pretty good to me, I'm not 100% certain about the angle of the windscreen but it's not offensively wrong.  The soft, black plastic interior is a bit weird, I used a sharp blade to clean it up but didn't try and add any paint to it.  I think I used superglue gel to stick it and even added some wire to represent the trim on the door cards.

The greatest challenge with the kit was cleaning up some mould lines and fitting the body halves together then hiding the join.  Although it's a very simple kit and doesn't have the best locating tabs (although the parts actually fit together pretty well), it builds up nicely and you can add some of the missing body and interior trim if you are inclined (I added the chrome strips along the bonnet and around the rear number plate, as well as the aforementioned door trim and a rear-view mirror).

A kit..

photo-vi.jpg

That might turn into a Nascar race truck.

And some decals..

photo1-vi.jpg

And

photo-vi.jpg

• Like 10

My last two acquisitions. One purchase and one gift

spacer.png

The impala was the purchase. I really enjoyed the Eldorado and wanted to do another big American chrome monster!😄

The Subaru was a gift. Wouldn't have been my first choice but one of my mates bought it during lockdown and never got round to building it. Last time I saw him he decided to give me the kit and all the paints he had bought. So to thank him this is going to the top of my build list for next year. I'm tempted to add some leds in the lights. Once build I'll send it back to him in a case as a surprise.

Nick

• Like 12

This was delivered whilst we were in Calgary over the weekend. Yes another Scooby but the hatchback version Sti. I wonder how it will look with factory WRC decals on it?

photo-vi.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Windy37 said:

They say things happen in three’s . Here’s my third Lancia in less than a month , all off He Hay for bargain prices ! 
52960626083_9fef3d6cf1_c_d.jpg

Gary . 

Nice one Gary, I remember watching those on the stages as a marshall.

• Like 1