What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

13 hours ago, TommyOneTwoFour said:

Revell did make a modern tool ‘70 Chevelle some years ago. Although it‘s only a snap-kit, it‘s by far the most accurate kit in terms of body proportions. It‘s spot-on in all aspects that matter. With some work it can be made into a nice curbside model. This is mine, built in 2019.

Chevelle 1970 (Revell snap-kit)

Nice build. I am aware of that kit but I want a full detail one. I will probably buy the snap kit eventually but then I need to find different wheels I don't like the custom ones.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dbostream said:

Nice build. I am aware of that kit but I want a full detail one. I will probably buy the snap kit eventually but then I need to find different wheels I don't like the custom ones.

Thanks! It might possible to combine the snapper and the Monogram full kit. The main problem could be the difference in scale (Monogram is 1/24, Revell is 1/25). I have both kits on stock, unbuilt, and could make a "dry fit" if you want. Besides that, if you build the snapper, getting stock wheels shouldn't be a problem. Those are are regular Mag wheels and they more or less contained in every muscle car kit, especially the AMT 2-in-1 oder 3-in-1 kits that contain multiple building options. 

1 hour ago, TommyOneTwoFour said:

Thanks! It might possible to combine the snapper and the Monogram full kit. The main problem could be the difference in scale (Monogram is 1/24, Revell is 1/25). I have both kits on stock, unbuilt, and could make a "dry fit" if you want. Besides that, if you build the snapper, getting stock wheels shouldn't be a problem. Those are are regular Mag wheels and they more or less contained in every muscle car kit, especially the AMT 2-in-1 oder 3-in-1 kits that contain multiple building options. 

Sure if you could find our how well they fit that would be great.

I wonder if it would be possible to take the body pieces, glass and interior from the snap kit and the rest from AMT's old 1/25 version, I have that one already and it would be the same scale. I will test it when I get the snap kit.

This one almost happened by accident.  I was browsing FleaBay looking at rare and unusual old kits and came across a 1:24 scale Dino Ferrari 246 kit by Fujimi, apparently as rare as 🦄💩 and commonly priced accordingly at anything from £75 to £112.  The one I found was being auctioned pre-owned and still at sensible money so I waited until the auction was nearly over and bid for it.  Obviously others had had the same idea and automatic bidding quickly took it into the silly money area so I backed out at the £40 mark with seconds to go and the price still hurtling upwards.  Feeling slightly hacked off at losing it I went hunting for another, only to discover that Fujimi had announced a new production run and Kent Models were taking pre-orders at £28.99!  I thus ended up with a brand-new kit for less than expected and also had the last laugh on the greedy gits who were trying to get stupid money for them.  Out of curiosity I checked again after a few days and found all those pre-owned and still for sale had been significantly reduced in price as word of the new run got around!  :evil_laugh:

spacer.png

• Like 14
  • Haha 3

So this is pretty cool, although a tad expensive. It's a cab for a DAF "7-striper", the first front steer DAF trucks dating back to 1949. 

20230404180755-c1f7c12e-me.jpg

I assumed it was cast resin but it's 3D printed. It will need some sanding, the print is a bit fuzzy. But, the shape is spot on so who's complaining. 

20230404180756-90df9e3a-me.jpg

I'm just hoping I'll be able to get it smooth, it's also quite thin. 

20230404180755-1e5dbb16-me.jpg

We'll see. Definitely a future project. 

• Like 14

5 hours ago, Neddy said:

This one almost happened by accident.  I was browsing FleaBay looking at rare and unusual old kits and came across a 1:24 scale Dino Ferrari 246 kit by Fujimi, apparently as rare as 🦄💩 and commonly priced accordingly at anything from £75 to £112.  The one I found was being auctioned pre-owned and still at sensible money so I waited until the auction was nearly over and bid for it.  Obviously others had had the same idea and automatic bidding quickly took it into the silly money area so I backed out at the £40 mark with seconds to go and the price still hurtling upwards.  Feeling slightly hacked off at losing it I went hunting for another, only to discover that Fujimi had announced a new production run and Kent Models were taking pre-orders at £28.99!  I thus ended up with a brand-new kit for less than expected and also had the last laugh on the greedy gits who were trying to get stupid money for them.  Out of curiosity I checked again after a few days and found all those pre-owned and still for sale had been significantly reduced in price as word of the new run got around!  :evil_laugh:

spacer.png

That's great news about it coming back out soon - I missed it last time around and it's one which I'd like to get built. Think I'll need something to go between the 288GTO and this though as I suspect both will be long projects looking at the part count.

Just had a look at the one on Kent Model's site, and it's the diet version (curbside) - there was also a full fat, obscene detail release, initially branded as Fujumi Enthusiast.  They did the same with their Countach & '80s Porsche 911 kits & possibly some other ones too.  Many of those have since been released with other box art (e.g. manga related ones such as Circuit Wolf), sometimes full detail, some as the curbside ones.  Were the mega money Dinos the curbside version, or were they the Fujimi Enthusiast ones?

The Enthusiast Fujimi kits are the ones that fetch mega money, the curb side ones can still fetch good money as it was rare, not so rare now Fujimi is re releasing it though 😁

40 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Just had a look at the one on Kent Model's site, and it's the diet version (curbside) - there was also a full fat, obscene detail release, initially branded as Fujumi Enthusiast. 

I'm not sure it is... 233 parts is a lot for the curbside version. If you look at the instructions for this box at HobbySearch:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10492311

...it looks like the same one photographed above, and it's got the full engine detail in it. Fujmi has released many of the Enthusiast Model series in regular boxes since their day -- maybe they acquired a reputation for being, shall we say, "challenging".

best,

M.

• Like 2

Ah - apologies for the confusion.  The sprue map on the box art didn't look like it had all the extra bits for the engine etc.

In which case, that is an amazingly good price for it!

6 hours ago, Neddy said:

spacer.png

There is a series of youtube vids a Japanese guy has made building this kit and he made a superb job of it, worth looking at as he also corrects the few kit mistakes.

M.

Edited by Malc2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to clear this up a bit, I've just been looking at the kit in detail and I can assure this is NO kerbside kit!   The engine and luggage compartments open, the engine is more detailed (and with a higher parts count) than any I've ever tackled and it even comes with its own engine stand for displaying the engine separately should you so wish.  The interior, suspension and steering are also highly detailed and with a total parts count of 233 for a 1:24 scale car kit it's going to be challenging to say the least.

The over-priced pre-owned kits on fleabay are a curious mix of "standard" and "enthusiast" types.  The three-figure sums demanded by the "Enthusiast" kits are perhaps understandable but I suspect a lot of the sellers are chancers offering standard kits for the same sort of price and hoping the punters don't know the difference.

• Like 5

Found this in a cardboard box on the sidewalk together with some other old toys on my daily walk yesterday. People often put their old books, toys, clothes, etc out on the street here were we live, but so far this is the first time I have found something as good as this. 

WQNKDgH.jpg

The kit is almost complete except for the windscreen which is missing, but I either see if I can order one from Revell‘s customer service or maybe I just make a chromed frame with no glass. In any case it was to good to leave it in the box :)  

• Like 8

Exactly.  As the windshield is a simple shape and totally flat it shouldn't be too tricky to cut one out.  Make a paper template first to make life easier cutting it out.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2023 at 21:41, cmatthewbacon said:

Fujmi has released many of the Enthusiast Model series in regular boxes since their day -- maybe they acquired a reputation for being, shall we say, "challenging".

best,

M.

I think I'm right in saying the Fujimi BMW 635CSi was originally an Enthusiast kit, it certainly has a high part count in the 2018 re-release. I built one to represent a partially dismantled car undergoing repair (thread on here somewhere) due to all the extra detail that could be displayed. Challenging, yes, but it was really a case of being methodical as the fitment was fairly good. That said, I do have another one in the stash but it feels like a big commitment to make a start on it. All those tiny parts...   

On 4/4/2023 at 10:37 PM, keefr22 said:

At least! Give me the curbside versions any day! 🤣

Keith

Fujimi's recent releases of their 1/24 Enthusiast 288GTO have the engine and transmission left out of the assembly steps and they're greyed out on the sprue map! So is the display stand for the power train assembly.

I built one years ago and it was a lovely build. About 250 parts but when was the last 1/24 kit you built which had things like separate pedals and two part fuel tanks complete with filler pipes? Its a jewel of a kit.

Phil

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PHIL B said:

but when was the last 1/24 kit you built which had things like separate pedals....

Last year - Fujimi enthusiast 911S. It was a pig awful kit, it's over engineered and has very poor fit all round. Hated it.

But, having said that it's the third one I've built and I don't recall the same issues with the earlier ones (but they were years ago and so bad memories may have faded!) so it could be the moulds are getting worn out....

And I do admit I've only built various 911's from the enthusiast series so know not what the Ferraris and such are like.

Keith

• Like 3

22 hours ago, PHIL B said:

Fujimi's recent releases of their 1/24 Enthusiast 288GTO have the engine and transmission left out of the assembly steps and they're greyed out on the sprue map! So is the display stand for the power train assembly.

I built one years ago and it was a lovely build. About 250 parts but when was the last 1/24 kit you built which had things like separate pedals and two part fuel tanks complete with filler pipes? Its a jewel of a kit.

Phil

With one sitting in my stash this is what I like to hear :)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Spiny said:

With one sitting in my stash this is what I like to hear :)

Only one? Wuss....

😜

It's one of the best car kits I've ever built, and only the fact that the Tamiya LFA and FXX-K exist stop it being the best; it's a tad <ahem> more difficult to build than those two... Because everything fits prototypically, you have to get ALL of the back end structure, engine and suspension exactly right for it to sit on four wheels properly. Really good photo reference of the real thing helps makes sense of the fiendishly detailed and at times tiny drawings in the instructions as well...

best,

M.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1