Jump to content

What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?


shood23

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, johnlambert said:

I believe that any similarities to the Morris Marina are purely coincidental.

 

Nope, no coincidence. This was the brainchild of George Turnbull (austin morris MD) one of the Leyland men responsible for the Marina. Hyundai employed him to create their first passenger car 'Pony' and to build the factory in which it was made, it was engineered by ex leyland staff without the management mess that came with it. They had a marina on site and wanted to create the car more in line with what they intended to build at the marinas birth, whilst bettering refinement etc, there's a documentary on YouTube about it.

 

Nice kit 👌 

 

I've just bought a revell Bronco and an Airfix Model T.

 

Andy

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MiniArt civilian version of the G506 4x4 1.5 ton truck.

I'm pretty sure all the paint/decal options are speculative but whatever, it looks great and I'll find a reference pic to give me some ideas.

 

I came here for the planes TBH, but all the wonderful vehicles, ships, etc have lured me over to the dark side!

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know I’ve already got one waiting to be built ( aren’t they all ! ) , but as it seems to be back on sale again I couldn’t resist 

52132120911_f366847ced_c_d.jpg
 

Reasonable prices too and I can use my yellow I bought for my recent build of it’s earlier sister . 
Gary . 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This arrived the other day from The Model Workshop in Barnsley .

 

tam12033n-1.jpg

 

I'm not a huge fan of Renaults , but it looked such a nice kit I just couldn't resist .

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last week, a plane museum near me had a clearance sale from an old model shop. Over three days they sold many, many models, both newer ones and older ones. The prices were insane! They were almost giving them away. I went two times: first when they opened up on day one, and I had to stand in queue even though I was a few minutes early 😀 This pic is from that day. For all these models I paid around 62 euros. Crazy!

 

I went again on day three because I read on Facebook that there had been a restock. Again, crazy prices with 25% off everything since it was the last day. I bought even more kits for about 60 euros. I didn’t think to take a picture of that pile, but I’ll do it later today. I’m a happy modeller! In total I got 18 kits for 122 euros. 
 

y4mo2QLQSQSg772TrsRcGX_5ISIYkyYg66SRIwYK

 

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Tamiya BMW R80 is quite a hard to get kit. Ebay prices for it are stupid (more stupid than normal😉) You got some very good bargains there.👍

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

The Tamiya BMW R80 is quite a hard to get kit. Ebay prices for it are stupid (more stupid than normal😉) You got some very good bargains there.👍

I haven’t checked eBay-prices until now… That’s really insane! Maybe I should put some of them up for sale 😆 I paid €9 for it…

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Dunderklumpen said:

I haven’t checked eBay-prices until now… That’s really insane! Maybe I should put some of them up for sale 😆 I paid €9 for it…

Put it on Ebay for a sensible price. Undercut and annoy the rip off merchants AND it pays for a chunk of your new stash. Win-win.👍😀

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bit the bullet during the week and ordered up a pair of Revell Hot Rod Madel A Fords.

 

IMG-3635.jpg

 

IMG-3636.jpg

 

I've wanted the pair ever since they were released but the prices seemed horrifying to me. Prices have only gone up since then! Watching even newer US car kits start nudging the £40 mark made me dive in on this pair.

Having had my moan, I have to say that both kits are gems. Two chassis in each, Model A and Model B, really well done Buick drum brakes, dirt tracker and implement tires, very nice '40 Ford wheels, two interiors in each as well, and a ton of other goodies

No fenders, running boards or hood top and sides though so I guess a few different issues with more parts are in the pipeline.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Put it on Ebay for a sensible price. Undercut and annoy the rip off merchants AND it pays for a chunk of your new stash. Win-win.👍😀


Not a bad idea, actually. I’ll have to think about it. My “plan” when I went to the sale was to only buy kits that I wanted to build. Not hoard to sell later on. So many modelers were there, and I really didn’t want to steal kits from them for my own profit. 
 

I’ll put up a picture on my second purchase later today. I think there are some really good bargains there as well, maybe even better 😉

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Dunderklumpen said:


Not a bad idea, actually. I’ll have to think about it. My “plan” when I went to the sale was to only buy kits that I wanted to build. Not hoard to sell later on. So many modelers were there, and I really didn’t want to steal kits from them for my own profit. 
 

I’ll put up a picture on my second purchase later today. I think there are some really good bargains there as well, maybe even better 😉

I fully understand. A very fair and commendable sentiment.👍

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dunderklumpen said:

Last week, a plane museum near me had a clearance sale from an old model shop. Over three days they sold many, many models, both newer ones and older ones. The prices were insane! They were almost giving them away. I went two times: first when they opened up on day one, and I had to stand in queue even though I was a few minutes early 😀 This pic is from that day. For all these models I paid around 62 euros. Crazy!

 

I went again on day three because I read on Facebook that there had been a restock. Again, crazy prices with 25% off everything since it was the last day. I bought even more kits for about 60 euros. I didn’t think to take a picture of that pile, but I’ll do it later today. I’m a happy modeller! In total I got 18 kits for 122 euros. 
 

y4mo2QLQSQSg772TrsRcGX_5ISIYkyYg66SRIwYK

 

I hope it was not close to where I live and I didn't know about it. Hard to find a better deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dbostream said:

I hope it was not close to where I live and I didn't know about it. Hard to find a better deal.

South Sweden, near Skurup between Malmö and Ystad. I found out about it in a Facebook group called “Modellbygge”. Highly recommended if you’re not already a member there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dunderklumpen said:

South Sweden, near Skurup between Malmö and Ystad. I found out about it in a Facebook group called “Modellbygge”. Highly recommended if you’re not already a member there. 

Thankfully it was a long way from Dalarna. :)

 

I will check out that group.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2022 at 4:04 PM, rs2man said:

This arrived the other day from The Model Workshop in Barnsley .

 

tam12033n-1.jpg

 

I'm not a huge fan of Renaults , but it looked such a nice kit I just couldn't resist .

How does the Tamiya one compare to the newer Italeri offering 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, colin said:

How does the Tamiya one compare to the newer Italeri offering 

Not a clue mate .  Never seen the Italeri kit .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, colin said:

How does the Tamiya one compare to the newer Italeri offering 

 

The Italeri kit is from the old Protar moulds from the early 1980s.

It is/was one of the best 1/12 Protars and IMHO comparable with the Tamiya offering.

Ironic that it was also offered in 1/12 scale by Heller, but the less said about that kit the better!

 

M. 

Edited by Malc2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Malc2 said:

 

The Italeri kit is from the old Protar moulds from the early 1980s.

It is/was one of the best 1/12 Protars and IMHO comparable with the Tamiya offering.

Ironic that it was also offered in 1/12 scale by Heller, but the less said about that kit the better!

 

M. 

 

@colin The best finished scale model will be the Tamiya. The most interesting build however may very well be the Protar/Italeri. I enjoyd my Protar build a lot. The only good thing about the old Heller is that it provided the top bodywork options for both driver's cars.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Dunderklumpen said:

Last week, a plane museum near me had a clearance sale from an old model shop. Over three days they sold many, many models, both newer ones and older ones. The prices were insane! They were almost giving them away. I went two times: first when they opened up on day one, and I had to stand in queue even though I was a few minutes early 😀 This pic is from that day. For all these models I paid around 62 euros. Crazy!

 

I went again on day three because I read on Facebook that there had been a restock. Again, crazy prices with 25% off everything since it was the last day. I bought even more kits for about 60 euros. I didn’t think to take a picture of that pile, but I’ll do it later today. I’m a happy modeller! In total I got 18 kits for 122 euros. 
 

y4mo2QLQSQSg772TrsRcGX_5ISIYkyYg66SRIwYK

 

That's a great collection.

 

I'm building the Ferrari 250GT SWB at the moment, the body is a bit fiddly to assemble and needs careful cleaning up. Watch out for sink marks (the bumpers are particularly bad). There are some details on the engine and suspension that are plain wrong, but nothing that couldn't be corrected.

 

I built the Tamiya Mercedes AMG 500SL when it was new, watch out for how the engine fits under the bonnet, although that might have been my teenage modelling skills. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

That's a great collection.

 

I'm building the Ferrari 250GT SWB at the moment, the body is a bit fiddly to assemble and needs careful cleaning up. Watch out for sink marks (the bumpers are particularly bad). There are some details on the engine and suspension that are plain wrong, but nothing that couldn't be corrected.

 

I built the Tamiya Mercedes AMG 500SL when it was new, watch out for how the engine fits under the bonnet, although that might have been my teenage modelling skills. 

 

Thanks a lot for the heads up!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...