What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

First port of call in Tokyo - the Tamiya shop. I bought all the stock of rally driver figures. They should restock before I leave so the less rally car seatbelts I have to thread by using figurines instead, the better. Each body set is about 2 pounds 50, each head set about 1 pound 80.

spacer.png

Edited by galaxyg
  • Like 11

6 hours ago, galaxyg said:

First port of call in Tokyo - the Tamiya shop. I bought all the stock of rally driver figures. They should restock before I leave so the less rally car seatbelts I have to thread by using figurines instead, the better. Each body set is about 2 pounds 50, each head set about 1 pound 80.

That's right, clean 'm out over there! 🙂 

• Haha 3

On 3/7/2023 at 1:51 AM, von Race said:

Lastly, anybody remember the Fiat X-19? Don't know exactly what I'm going to do with this, but "I got one"!  Maybe a little, Star Wars-ish race car.  🙄

Make a Bond Bug out of it. 😀

• Haha 3

On 3/7/2023 at 9:50 AM, Six97s said:

If it's the usual Palmer standard it'll look as much like a Corvette as an MG, so...  😬

It says 3 in 1 on the box - maybe they mean you can make an almost-MGA, not-quite-a-Corvette or a bit-like-a-Cobra?

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Nice T-bird. Scalemates says it's from 1958. I also built this when I was teenager. My favourite also, maybe because in Finland was very nice -58 that belonged to American car magazine editor.

Yep, originally issued in 1958.  The body is a little banana shaped, but other than that it's pretty impressive for the time and I still have a soft spot for it.   The AMT bodies captured the shape a bit better, but the detail is crude in comparison with the Monogram kit.

16 hours ago, galaxyg said:

the less rally car seatbelts I have to thread by using figurines instead, the better.

I have to admit I'd rather thread seatbelts than paint figures any day of the week!! (just spent at least 12 hours painting a 1/35 tank commander - and it looks flippin' awful.....!! 🤣 )

Enjoy your shopping!!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, galaxyg said:

Now I'd love to be a fly on the wall when customs open you your suitcase and find a multitude of decapitated 1/24 bodies with matching heads!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, Spiny said:

Now I'd love to be a fly on the wall when customs open you your suitcase and find a multitude of decapitated 1/24 bodies with matching heads!!!

They have restocked already so I now have 7 driver/navigator pairs. And many heads.

The price on the right in the shade of the shop window equates to about £23. And now it's mine.

DSC_0664.JPG

Edited by galaxyg
  • Like 18

55 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Nice! What are the decals like? The ones in mine are starting to show their age.....

Keith

The large sheet is 100% perfect. The smaller sheet feels a little rough if you pass a fingertip over it. Like braille or something. Looks a little rough but should be ok.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, galaxyg said:

Like braille or something. Looks a little rough

The decals in one of my other Cossie kits have gone like that - bit crusty I called them. Some microscale liquid decal film seems to have rescued most of them.

Keith

• Like 2

I went to Jabbeke yesterday, the civilian vehicle modelling show. The trip was combined with a very pleasant weekend in Brugge with the missus. Win-win I say. 

The nice thing about this show is that all the kits for sale are vehicle kits, including a lot of truck kits. I didn't want to spend a whole bunch and I got some good deals on some older kits which made the total setback not too bad at all. 

From 1987, this Freightliner, it's partly started and may not be entirely complete but it does look like it is. 

20230312150755-0843737d-me.jpg

The 2011 reboxing of the 1972 Road Boss kit. 

20230312150755-151f9bb2-me.jpg

And I needed some cabovers in the stash. This 1980's release from the 1971 kit came at a nice price. 

20230312150755-4a85e650-me.jpg

And lastly, another cabover kit, this is a 2017 release of a '70's kit, with 2 cabs in it. I like that day cab. 

20230312150755-cbc3d603-me.jpg

A nice score. 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

I went to Jabbeke yesterday, the civilian vehicle modelling show. The trip was combined with a very pleasant weekend in Brugge with the missus. Win-win I say. 

Sounds great , though in my opinion a weekend in Brugge simply isn't long enough . 

8 minutes ago, rs2man said:

Sounds great , though in my opinion a weekend in Brugge simply isn't long enough . 

True! It's a really nice city. 

8 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

True! It's a really nice city. 

Definitely .  Is there still a model shop on Braambergstraat , just opposite the Vismarkt ?

I used to like getting the missus a beer in one of the bars and going for a wander round the model shop .

3 hours ago, rs2man said:

Definitely .  Is there still a model shop on Braambergstraat , just opposite the Vismarkt ?

Google says no, but I could be wrong. My missus went shopping on Saturday morning, I went to Jabbeke, and in the afternoon, at beer o'clock, we sat in the sun on the Grote Markt. Perfect. 

• Like 2

I wasn't so lucky with the previous purchase I posted here but this time the luck was on my side.

spacer.png

The Airfix Austin Healey Sprite MK1 was the first kit I ever built and for a while I have been looking to get another one but they are hard to come by. The seller wasn't sure the kit was complete but it turns out the box contained almost two complete kits. Most of the missing pieces I should be able to scratch build but the front body piece and the seats could be tricky. I might try to make molds and make copies out of epoxy putty, I have done that in the past.

spacer.png

• Like 10

Great find!  I wonder how many members will be thinking "I built one of them as a kid!"?  Put me down at the top of the list.  It would be worth moulding the missing parts to produce two complete models, especially as they're like 🦄💩  these days.

• Like 1