What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

18 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Good choice, it builds up to a decent looking model with no major issues in the build process. The worst bit is the big decal that wraps around the front, I ended up chopping mine into pieces to get it to lay down straight. And don't do what I did and add the front wings before the instructions say so - you can't get the chassis in the body with them on. Other than that, the only thing to look out for is that some of the semi-circular pegs are the wrong way around (mainly suspension bits) and will need trimming to get in place.

Thanks @Spiny . I remember following your progress on the Fiesta when I first joined BM . Not giving too much away here , but I plan a different version of the car . Say no more ....

Gary . 

• Like 1

I didn't know it was out already. Shame it is 1:43 but I will buy one anyway. One thing I noticed is it looks like it is LHD only it looks that way on the box too. I find that strange.

Anyone know if it will be available without paint etc?

Edited by dbostream

As far as I know, Airfix are not going to do the starter sets as regular kits, so you will have to get it with paint, cement and brush.

I'm surprised it's LHD - it makes sense for the other two kits in the series, but not a Jag. At least with it being the hardtop, it won't be so obvious.

I was going to suggest the same thing.  Careful sectioning of the two portions either side of the centre console without disturbing the top padding would enable a straight swap.

12 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

I'm surprised it's LHD - it makes sense for the other two kits in the series, but not a Jag. At least with it being the hardtop, it won't be so obvious.

Would be interesting to know the reason for this. Do they expect to sell more of it outside the UK? I am usually all for LHD cars but for British classics I prefer RHD.

BTW how did they make the spoked wheels I cannot see them in the photos?

Edited by dbostream

According to a reviewer on YouTube 95% of original E types were left hand drive as they were for US and Europe market. The guy also emailed airfix about that and they said they missed a trick by not providing an RHD option in kit and that they might provide 3D printing file at one point

Nick

• Like 2

Of the Series I  which the kit represents I think, 92 were RHD and 386 were LHD. That's not 95% although Jaguar did tend to favour the US market. Surely Airfix should have provided an alternative although it's not hard to convert. Previous 1/43 kits in plastic (Monogram) weren't popular (not enough weight for collectors, apparently!) but I thought their Cobra was a nice little kit and easy to convert. Maybe, with the demise of most of the 1/43 resin car industry Airfix sales will be better.

Dave

PS - Wheels on the Cobra were p/e self assembly style.

Edited by Fastcat
Too quick to press "submit" button
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fastcat said:

Of the Series I  which the kit represents I think, 92 were RHD and 386 were LHD. That's not 95% although Jaguar did tend to favour the US market. Surely Airfix should have provided an alternative although it's not hard to convert. Previous 1/43 kits in plastic (Monogram) weren't popular (not enough weight for collectors, apparently!) but I thought their Cobra was a nice little kit and easy to convert. Maybe, with the demise of most of the 1/43 resin car industry Airfix sales will be better.

Dave

PS - Wheels on the Cobra were p/e.

Where did you get those figures ? As far as I was aware , Jaguar built 5830 4.2 Series One fixed head coupes .

I agree with you about Monogram's Cobra - it was an excellent kit .

Sorry, I quoted the roadster figures by mistake. I agree with you on the coupe numbers but the number of RHD models would then be 1799 which still doesn't make 5%. These figures are for the Series I 3.8 ltr. For the 4.2 Series I, I've got 1583 RHD and 4249 LHD.

These come from : Link

Dave

10 minutes ago, Fastcat said:

Sorry, I quoted the roadster figures by mistake. I agree with you on the coupe numbers but the number of RHD models would then be 1799 which still doesn't make 5%. These figures are for the Series I 3.8 ltr. For the 4.2 Series I, I've got 1583 RHD and 4249 LHD.

These come from : Link

Dave

I was thinking the kit was a 4.2 since the boot badge on the decal sheet says that , but now you've mentioned the 3.8 I've looked at the pics again and it seems to be a 3.8 - it certainly has 3.8 seats . 

• Like 1

Paul Skilleter's "Jaguar Sports Cars" gives:

Series 1

3.8 FHC 1798RHD and 5871LHD

4.2 FHC 1957RHD and 5813LHD

4.2 2+2 1378RHD 4220LHD

Either way, it's about 20-25% RHD

From the sprue shots it's not a "flat floor", so it's a mainstream s1...

Must get one, though given it's a starter set I'll make a run to a local model shop since I assume they'll be pretty widely available...

best,

M.

• Like 2

That's near enough for me! There were so many changes, even to the number of pleats in the seats that you really need an actual example to work from if you can. No such thing as a generic car. Nice little model though.

Dave

• Like 1

I was thinking the kit was a 4.2 since the boot badge on the decal sheet says that , but now you've mentioned the 3.8 I've looked at the pics again and it seems to be a 3.8 - it certainly has 3.8 seats . 

So it does. Sharp eyes - doesn't show up much on my screen until the contrast is increased. It just illustrates the difficulty of making a specific model. I notice on the box artwork that the wheels are wrong - they're more like Borrani rims with too much space between the rim and the wheel-nut. Still, if you buy it, you'll not be building the box!

Dave

Grail kit!!!

This multi media kit was released by TOMY back in 82, the instructions in this say 86. If they come up on EBay they are often around the £100 mark. This hadn’t sold and was relisted at £36 I literally stopped eating my lunch to smash the buy now button.

The kits were also released by Hasegawa and I have a started Jaguar SS100 in the stash.

Btw it’s 1/32 of course 

E8732747-5-C1-E-407-E-BF88-374944-A1-B8-

• Like 8

Hi JamesP,

Yes they are strange little kits. I've got the SS100 and it's compete with a p/e set of wires which would have been very unusual when it was first issued. I like it better than the Matchbox kit but they're both different in their approaches so cross kitting wouldn't be easy. I don't know which is the more accurate but they certainly differ on prices. Overall, I prefer the look of the Tomy kit but as you say, it comes at a price.

Dave 

• Like 1

And from Mikes Decals, a T-Bird & Taurus kit.

T-Bird will wear the Slixx Band-Aid, and those fantastic Skoal decals will go onto a Lowes slabside i have already.

And the others are for two Pontiacs.

Edited by seanrx
  • Like 4

And not new, but i re-discover this Amt Olds kit. With its Country Time decals removed and some old photo etch from the Cabin hobby shop in London.

Hood pins, steering wheels, some plastic netting and JNJ decals. All this from the mid 90's.

Pics were here but host site cancel them.

Edited by seanrx
  • Like 4