What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

6 minutes ago, rs2man said:

Just seen some pics of the new 32 roadster and a fair amount of it looks very familiar - the blown smallblock Chevy , entire exhaust system and the wheels and tyres are from the Stacey David's Rat Roaster issue from a few years back .  I don't suppose there's any chance that the new kit includes the bobbed rear wings and front cycle wings from the Rat Roaster ?

The Stacey David kit was apparently entirely new tooling, despite being essentially many of the same parts as the original roadster release.  There's a big discussion about this new version here, and based on the info shown early on, it looks like those wings may be included:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/170411-revell-32-ford-roadster-revised-former-rat-roaster-tool/

8 minutes ago, Paul H said:

The Stacey David kit was apparently entirely new tooling, despite being essentially many of the same parts as the original roadster release.  There's a big discussion about this new version here, and based on the info shown early on, it looks like those wings may be included:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/170411-revell-32-ford-roadster-revised-former-rat-roaster-tool/

Yes , I can well believe it was new tooling since it's subtly different to the rest of the kits , most notably the chassis , which has cutouts for the exhausts where they go under the side rails , a different , more positive fixing for the gearbox and a modified front crossmember and axle to ensure the axle can only fit the right way round . My Rat Roaster will have a spare 302 Ford motor fitted as I'm pinching the smallblock Chevy and the entire exhaust system for my American Grafitti coupe .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TonyW said:

Just arrived down on the farm are a pair of the new Revell '71 Olds 442 kits.

IMG-4101.jpg

World Wide Shopping Mall discount down to £30 each, including postage, for a pair. That passes as a good deal these days, so I went for it.

You get a new coupe bodyshell along with most of the earlier convertable kit running gear. Only one hood option this time, the fiberglass W30 one with the big scoops. The soft top version came with that and a stock flat Cutlass one.

Only one front bumper as well. Again, the soft top had the 442 and the stock Cutlass bumpers included.

The bodyshell looks really good. The rear fenders have that beautiful crease above the wheel arches that the soft top doesn't have.

Auto or stick, with gearboxes, consoles and foot pedal sets to match. The engine is suitably busy looking and there are fourteen decals for the engine bay! Decal number 24 on the sheet shown is a shift pattern for the four speed option. Fitting that one will be fun. I can't even see what decal number 28 is.

The rear axle has either the rare option ally cover or the stock steel one.

IMG-4102.jpg

Two stripe color options, tire decals and full interior wood decals as well.

All in all, a well presented kit.

It's difficult to adjust to £30+ prices for new releases, but I can't see the things getting any cheaper. Get 'em while you can.

Tony.

I didn't realise this was a new kit, I thought it was a rebox of the AMT 442 kit with extra bits, but I might have to get me one in that case 

10 hours ago, Redstaff said:

I didn't realise this was a new kit, I thought it was a rebox of the AMT 442 kit with extra bits, but I might have to get me one in that case 

If I am not mistaken it is based on Revell's '72 convertible.

• Like 1

On 28/08/2022 at 09:29, dbostream said:

spacer.png

To follow up John's comment about the yellow Charger, this was the first 1/24 kit I ever built too. I rebuilt it a few years ago, the build thread is somewhere on here (link is in my profile if you're interested). It's actually a surprisingly nice kit for a snap together model with the only real issue being the ridiculously flat door cards. Well worth keeping hold of if you want to build something rarely seen nowadays. The only other one I have any experience of is the Mustang which I did for last year's Mustang group build. Again, a much better kit than you would expect for its age - I was pleasantly surprised with it. You willl need patience and softening solution for the decals but so long as you're gentle with them they will eventually go into position.

• Like 3

On 14/08/2022 at 12:54, Black Knight said:

. . ,

Watch this space

I'm on a 1/43 cars notion right now

. . .

Youse were warned!

Since I last posted I've bought two different years 1/43 Subaru WRC, from two different ebay sellers

I've received one, but unfortunately the seller didn't pack it well, relying on a padded envelope, so the decals got creased and the car body shell got a wee bit damaged, the A pillars pushed down and over. Can be fixed though

I've not received the second Subaru yet. Two postal strike days and the bank holiday has delayed its delivery I think

I'm off to ebay now to see what else I can get

(and a club member thinks he has a couple of WRC cars he'll sell me cheaply)

Just done a paint buying run. And unfortunately it seems as though my finger slipped while shopping...

52327749874_b18454fdbb_b.jpg

I've already searched out and downloaded the engine instructions since the kit comes with engine parts, but these are shown as not used in the instruction booket :blink2:

So at my current rate of building I will need to avoid buying another kit for at least a year to get my stash into single figures. Bad me!

• Like 12

34 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Just done a paint buying run. And unfortunately it seems as though my finger slipped while shopping...

52327749874_b18454fdbb_b.jpg

I've already searched out and downloaded the engine instructions since the kit comes with engine parts, but these are shown as not used in the instruction booket :blink2:

So at my current rate of building I will need to avoid buying another kit for at least a year to get my stash into single figures. Bad me!

Ferrari 288GTO , my favourite Ferrari . Always thought of it as the Magnum car on steroids !

Gary .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After seeing someone's build of the gorgeous Bentley Blower of the 1:24 Heller kit, I succumbed :owww:

heller-hell80722-bentley-4-5-blower-1-24

It's a shame there's not much, if any aftermarket for this, as it could be a great kit with a bit of help.  I know the bigger Airfix kit has more potential due to its size, but this one will match (most of) the rest of the kits in the display cabinet.  If I ever finish one of course :blush:

• Like 11

Just now, Black Knight said:

Check your box contents. Some boxings are missing 1 or more tyres

Deffo got 5, thanks for the heads up though :yes:

incidentally, my clear sprue bag had a label on it as below:

spacer.png

The sprue seems complete, and I've been over the rest of the sprue twice, so I'm confused.  The box was still sealed with official stickers BTW, so it must have happened somewhere early in the process. :hmmm:

2 hours ago, Mike said:

After seeing someone's build of the gorgeous Bentley Blower of the 1:24 Heller kit, I succumbed :owww:

It's a shame there's not much, if any aftermarket for this, as it could be a great kit with a bit of help.  I know the bigger Airfix kit has more potential due to its size, but this one will match (most of) the rest of the kits in the display cabinet.  If I ever finish one of course :blush:

Excellent choice, looking forward to that build!

I'm very tempted by it as well, but the wheels are a problem. Maybee the measurements should be checked to see if some of the wheels from on of FPPM's kit might fit, or ask Fernando if he would consider creating a set...

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

Deffo got 5, thanks for the heads up though :yes:

incidentally, my clear sprue bag had a label on it as below:

spacer.png

The sprue seems complete, and I've been over the rest of the sprue twice, so I'm confused.  The box was still sealed with official stickers BTW, so it must have happened somewhere early in the process. :hmmm:

Looks like it was missing one seat, the RH chassis rail and the RH bonnet half if the “N de charge” and Scalemates are correct…

best,

M.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Looks like it was missing one seat, the RH chassis rail and the RH bonnet half if the “N de charge” and Scalemates are correct…

best,

M.

Weird.  That must have involved replacing that sprue, as all those parts are firmly attached to their sprue gates, and there are zero loose parts in the box.  probably an internal sticker that was supposed to be removed once the repairs were completed before it left the factory or the distributor.  It's good to see that there are at least real people involved in checking the sprues of Heller kits. :)

A rare insight into the internal workings of a model company.

11 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

What's wrong with the wheels?

It of course depends on what sort detail of detail one wants on the finished model. I'm not sure anything is "wrong", as long as accepting the older style ("older" as from the time this kit was originally tooled) injection moulded wire wheels is OK. Though I would like to use some much finer detailed wire wheels if I were to build this kit today. It was a response to thoughts of aftermarket parts.

Actually FFPM has, or at least used to have, a dedicated wheel set for this kit, I have just found out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1