What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

On 14/08/2022 at 08:22, Stef N. said:

I started this kit and although it is a good one the tyres are a let down. Large sprue attachments, poorly alligned moulding and a white wall which I want rid of. So, as some of you are far more knowledgeable, a few questions:

Is there any company out there that make good replacements?

or, what paint is best for spraying onto rubber?

and, does anyone produce decals for pinstriping wheels?

Cheers for any help.👍

Now it's cooled down, I could venture into the loft...  Here are the tyres from my '58 (whitewall) and '59 (blackwall) kits.  I'm not seeing a problem here, but these are the original US issues, maybe the more recent German ones aren't up to snuff?  I also checked an AMT '57 - the newer tool - to see if their Firestones would be a reasonable replacement,  but they're a bit fatter and noticeably larger OD.

1958:

58vette_tyre-vi.jpg

1959:

59vette_tyre-vi.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, johnlambert said:

A kit for 2p, you can't go wrong, lol.

Any chance you can post a picture or two of the kit contents please @Spiny?

Always a chance... hope it's clear enough.

52290455988_0205688973_b.jpg

If anyone does buy this kit, just be aware when you do the first check of the sprues against the instructions that two of the sprues (E and one of the Qs) on mine aren't separate but still joined onto bigger sprues - my first thought was that I was missing a few bits until I looked closer. Although having the sprues less crammed than the typical Tamiya may be misleading, it still feels as though there's a good number of pieces to this one, especially as it doesn't have a full engine.

2 hours ago, Windy37 said:

There’s so much good stuff on its way , but just when it gets to these shores is anybodies guess …..

Gary 

Tell me about it, I'm trying to hold off purchases but this was one I was always going to get. The SD1 and RS200 are two others I hope don't arrive too soon or I'll be out spending again. And to think my aim is to get the stash down to single figures...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Six97s said:

Now it's cooled down, I could venture into the loft...  Here are the tyres from my '58 (whitewall) and '59 (blackwall) kits.  I'm not seeing a problem here, but these are the original US issues, maybe the more recent German ones aren't up to snuff?  I also checked an AMT '57 - the newer tool - to see if their Firestones would be a reasonable replacement,  but they're a bit fatter and noticeably larger OD.

1958:

58vette_tyre-vi.jpg

1959:

59vette_tyre-vi.jpg

They look much cleaner. Nevermind, I can hide the two sprue attachments and the whitewall will clean off with a bit of effort. It looks like they took their eyes off the ball when it came to the tyres. Everything else is grand.

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

And to think my aim is to get the stash down to single figures...

I wish - my aim is to get it below three figures. And I'm struggling.... (I'd forgotten about that flippin' SD1 too....)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

Always a chance... hope it's clear enough.

52290455988_0205688973_b.jpg

If anyone does buy this kit, just be aware when you do the first check of the sprues against the instructions that two of the sprues (E and one of the Qs) on mine aren't separate but still joined onto bigger sprues - my first thought was that I was missing a few bits until I looked closer. Although having the sprues less crammed than the typical Tamiya may be misleading, it still feels as though there's a good number of pieces to this one, especially as it doesn't have a full engine.

Tell me about it, I'm trying to hold off purchases but this was one I was always going to get. The SD1 and RS200 are two others I hope don't arrive too soon or I'll be out spending again. And to think my aim is to get the stash down to single figures...

The upcoming Audi and Volvo Touring car racers I'm looking forward too . Both hold great memories of a special time in my life !

Gary . 

• Like 2

One of the rarer F1 kits tracked down and got at the right price. The end of the quest is getting closer 😁

Were these ever released in the UK as I've never seen one for sale anywhere and had to get this one from Portugal

20220819_134158

• Like 11

23 hours ago, Redstaff said:

One of the rarer F1 kits tracked down and got at the right price. The end of the quest is getting closer 😁

Were these ever released in the UK as I've never seen one for sale anywhere and had to get this one from Portugal

It was released in the UK, as I got one from the unfortunately now closed Jennings model shop in Enfield in 2003.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Richard Humm said:

It was released in the UK, as I got one from the unfortunately now closed Jennings model shop in Enfield in 2003.

Thanks for the info

Must have passed me by at the time then

Cheers

Ian 

On 14/08/2022 at 12:54, Black Knight said:

Recently I bought an Airfix 1/43 Pagani Huayra

. . . 

I liked the look of its parts and went and bought the 1/43 Bugatti Chiron. I'm still awaiting delivery of it

. . .

Watch this space

I'm on a 1/43 cars notion right now

So many spares for diecasts can be fitted to the kits

The Bugatti Chiron arrived and I also bought a Heller 1/43 Land Rover

I got it cheap as the seller said the tyres were missing, but the wheels were showing in the listing photos. I think the seller thought that the tyres were separate parts but they're not. When I get a round tuit this will be done as my local RNLI 'Low Land Rescue' unit of a couple of years ago

• Like 2

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Those bring back memories - had all but the Citgo kit and both those Slixx decal sets at one time. Only got the Kodak car left now.

Have fun building them!

Keith

A lot to get through!

The Exide and Lowe's, you built them?

How were the white decals, solid white or opaque?

5 hours ago, seanrx said:

The Exide and Lowe's, you built them?

How were the white decals, solid white or opaque?

Couldn't tell you sorry, if I actually did build rather than sell them, I would have used aftermarket decals. Only kit decals I ever used were in the first NASCAR I built, a Monogram #24 Jeff Gordon car - and they were so bad they put me off kit decals for good!

Keith

On 8/16/2022 at 10:02 PM, keefr22 said:

I wish - my aim is to get it below three figures. And I'm struggling.... (I'd forgotten about that flippin' SD1 too....)

My aim is to get mine below 47. It's been at 57-58-59 for about 3 years now as every time I complete a build, something I want ends up coming on ebay. And if/when Japan opens again and I can get there on holiday, that'll add 10-12 more and if so, I'll be back to 57-58-59 again. If Belkits ever release that RS200 and Maxi-Megane, that's two more. And if the NuNu BTCC Audi emerges (who knows what's the delay there), that's another.   Not to mention that Hasegawa Pulsar is very tempting. And the Ivory Coast Rally Galant.

Most recently these have added to my stash. The first of which (McLaren short-tail) - is the first one I've seen on ebay for a very long time.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

On 16/08/2022 at 23:02, keefr22 said:

I'll PM you my address Keith 😉 

I'm making a bit of room in my cupboards for the IPMS event here in November, I'm hoping to get some nice stuff there. The event has been cancelled twice in the last two years so I'm really hoping we'll get to go this year!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a lot of you already know I've been trying to collect all tamiya 1/20 F1 kits so I can build one of each. Its took a few years getting them all at a price I was prepared to pay, but the last one arrived today for £25, so all in all, I'm happy for now. Probably till I start gathering all the fujimi ones 🤣🤣 No no, bad thoughts, I've promised the wife 😉 

Only waiting for BTCC volvo S40 and the RS200 if that ever materialises, but that's been promised for 4 or 5 years now, so not holding my breath 

20220824_170026

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Redstaff said:

As a lot of you already know I've been trying to collect all tamiya 1/20 F1 kits so I can build one of each. Its took a few years getting them all at a price I was prepared to pay, but the last one arrived today for £25, so all in all, I'm happy for now. Probably till I start gathering all the fujimi ones 🤣🤣 No no, bad thoughts, I've promised the wife 😉 

Only waiting for BTCC volvo S40 and the RS200 if that ever materialises, but that's been promised for 4 or 5 years now, so not holding my breath 

20220824_170026

The BTCC  Audi and Volvos are out there on e Bay,  but at daft prices in faraway countries, so I'm like you and a few others on here and am playing a waiting game till the UK sellers can get their hands on them .

Gary. 

• Like 2

Just arrived down on the farm are a pair of the new Revell '71 Olds 442 kits.

IMG-4101.jpg

World Wide Shopping Mall discount down to £30 each, including postage, for a pair. That passes as a good deal these days, so I went for it.

You get a new coupe bodyshell along with most of the earlier convertable kit running gear. Only one hood option this time, the fiberglass W30 one with the big scoops. The soft top version came with that and a stock flat Cutlass one.

Only one front bumper as well. Again, the soft top had the 442 and the stock Cutlass bumpers included.

The bodyshell looks really good. The rear fenders have that beautiful crease above the wheel arches that the soft top doesn't have.

Auto or stick, with gearboxes, consoles and foot pedal sets to match. The engine is suitably busy looking and there are fourteen decals for the engine bay! Decal number 24 on the sheet shown is a shift pattern for the four speed option. Fitting that one will be fun. I can't even see what decal number 28 is.

The rear axle has either the rare option ally cover or the stock steel one.

IMG-4102.jpg

Two stripe color options, tire decals and full interior wood decals as well.

All in all, a well presented kit.

It's difficult to adjust to £30+ prices for new releases, but I can't see the things getting any cheaper. Get 'em while you can.

Tony.

• Like 13

28 minutes ago, TonyW said:

It's difficult to adjust to £30+ prices for new releases, but I can't see the things getting any cheaper. Get 'em while you can.

Agreed!  However it does concentrate the mind to ensure that I now only buy models that I really want, rather than simply on a whim.  As a result, there's only a few car model recent announcements that will make it into my stash once they are released - the Beemax Rover SD1 Vitesse, and the new release of the Revell '32 Ford roadster.  However, if Tamiya were to release a regular (i.e. not the G) version of their recent 240ZG, then that would probably tempt me too.  The current prices are also meaning that I am culling what I am unlikely to build any time soon to help fund the ones that interest me enough!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paul H said:

if Tamiya were to release a regular (i.e. not the G) version of their recent 240ZG,

Watched a Youtube build of one of those yesterday, was really impressed by the way they've designed fitting the clear parts. I did have a look on ebay for one, but the £45 ish price soon stopped that!

Keith

• Sad 2

40 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

the new 32 roadster is also on my list... not really needed but wanted 😇

jusr because one day I want to create a hot rod 

Marco F 

The new '32 Roadster looks to be an odd one, to my eyes at any rate. It's a mix of old and new.

The Duval type screen seems to be based on the Spencer Roadster one, pinched in at the top corners, wheras the originals flaired out a bit. The cowl is also modified to take the new screen and while there's no original screen option, one wouldn't fit anyway. At first glace building the Spencer Roadster would seem the logical choice, and a choice I would love to have. The coilover/airbag rear end and new engine don't help though. The wheels and tires and the new interior look really good but I don't know if they alone will make me go for the kit. Had there been a flathead and a traditional rear end in it I would buy a case of the things! Kitbashing this release with one of the Revell '48 Fords would probably get things 40's/50's correct but things are starting to get expensive at that point. Tempting though...

I should add, I am a bit of a rivet counter when it comes to old hot rods, ignoring me is a very valid option.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Watched a Youtube build of one of those yesterday, was really impressed by the way they've designed fitting the clear parts. I did have a look on ebay for one, but the £45 ish price soon stopped that!

Keith

I agree that its not cheap, however it does look very impressive, so if it was the version I actually want (& a full detail 240Z has been very much on my want list for a long time), then I'd be prepared to pay that for this level of detail and engineering.  However it would need to be funded by clearing out some of my existing kits.  There's no way I'd be prepared to pay that for some other manufacturer's 1:24/25 car kits though!

4 hours ago, Marco F. said:

A 240z,not the ZG, from tamiya would be nice and the new 32 roadster is also on my list... not really needed but wanted 😇

jusr because one day I want to create a hot rod 

Marco F 

This release of the '32 Ford is the best of the series so far, what with the Duval screen and proper hot rod wheel & tyre set up unlike their earlier releases.  I'd love one to go next to my ZZ Top '33 Eliminator.

3 hours ago, TonyW said:

The new '32 Roadster looks to be an odd one, to my eyes at any rate. It's a mix of old and new.

The Duval type screen seems to be based on the Spencer Roadster one, pinched in at the top corners, wheras the originals flaired out a bit. The cowl is also modified to take the new screen and while there's no original screen option, one wouldn't fit anyway. At first glace building the Spencer Roadster would seem the logical choice, and a choice I would love to have. The coilover/airbag rear end and new engine don't help though. The wheels and tires and the new interior look really good but I don't know if they alone will make me go for the kit. Had there been a flathead and a traditional rear end in it I would buy a case of the things! Kitbashing this release with one of the Revell '48 Fords would probably get things 40's/50's correct but things are starting to get expensive at that point. Tempting though...

I should add, I am a bit of a rivet counter when it comes to old hot rods, ignoring me is a very valid option.

All very true - the recent Model A hot rod kits are apparently a good source for parts too, as is the rat rod Model A pickup from a while back.  However I reckon that the general outward appearance from the new wheel & tyre combo is so much better than the earlier releases (which were very '90s street rod with the modern tyres and over wide front wheels) so it will do for me as an out of the box build.  I'm happy to think of it as a trad look rod but built with modern underpinnings - I appreciate that this may be heresy, but once on the shelf in my display cabinet, the 'wrong' bits won't be easily visible.

Edited by Paul H
  • Like 2

Just seen some pics of the new 32 roadster and a fair amount of it looks very familiar - the blown smallblock Chevy , entire exhaust system and the wheels and tyres are from the Stacey David's Rat Roaster issue from a few years back .  I don't suppose there's any chance that the new kit includes the bobbed rear wings and front cycle wings from the Rat Roaster ?