What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

33 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

the box mentions "Tamiya Mini" donor

The rear wheels were Dunlop Alloys. Not sure if the front one was though.

The British TV programme Wheeler Dealers restored one. Series 7 Episode 7. 

It's on youtube but you have to buy it!

• Like 1

A second hand Italeri Norton Manx 500 and also a real unicorn, the Gunze Sangyo BSA DBD34 Gold Star in 1/12th, for which I paid too much, but a lot less than they seem to be going for online. I'm happy. 

11 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The rear wheels were Dunlop Alloys. Not sure if the front one was though.

The British TV programme Wheeler Dealers restored one. Series 7 Episode 7. 

It's on youtube but you have to buy it!

The rims are included, with the option of plain steels or the alloys for the rear and a steel for the front, only tyres need to be sourced. And possiby something else I haven't checked yet.

• Thanks 1

The postman brought this today, rounding out my collection of 1980s and 1990s Mercedes-Benz cars.

y4msE4gjyKO019MA4AG3SftnUti-ukrh0pTj9qdA

y4m6Dyz3q9AWbmoPxYyDSK9aFcSsYViNFoKW6oAV

I assume it's the same as the Esci/Italeri Mercedes-Benz 190E kit but with a body kit, alloys and lowered suspension.  The seats look dreadful but the body shape looks pretty good.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, johnlambert said:

The postman brought this today, rounding out my collection of 1980s and 1990s Mercedes-Benz cars.

I assume it's the same as the Esci/Italeri Mercedes-Benz 190E kit but with a body kit, alloys and lowered suspension.  The seats look dreadful but the body shape looks pretty good.

Oh very nice 👍

Had one of these for a short time, many moons ago … 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, johnlambert said:

I like it, I missed the boat on the full size one of these. I quite fancy a non-Cosworth 2.6 auto as an everyday smoker though. Really early four pot 190s are nearly old enough to be tax exempt already.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anteater said:

I like it, I missed the boat on the full size one of these. I quite fancy a non-Cosworth 2.6 auto as an everyday smoker though. Really early four pot 190s are nearly old enough to be tax exempt already.  

I think you could get the six-pot 190E 2.6 with Sportline suspension, which I think would make a very nice car.  Unfortunately they seemed very rare when I was looking about 10 years ago and I don't suppose they've got more common since then.  Not that I'd say no to a Cosworth 190, oddly I'd rather have an auto one of those, but I imagine they're well into collector-car prices (i.e. expensive).

I think someone local to me has an absolutely bare-bones 190 (not even a 190E), four-speed manual, steel wheels and plastic trims, cloth upholstery.  I could well believe that he's had it from new and really looked after it, because it looks very tidy.

2 hours ago, wkennerley said:

4x Airfix 1/32 Gulf Porsche 917, one good kit, 3 scrap cars, from which I hope to get two models. Not sure what schemes as yet, I guess one will have to be Gulf

You'll need to decide what to do with the back end geometry. The way Airfix has it, if you want to have the stance and axle/engine/diff set-up right the wheels have to tuck inside the steel-armoured rear bodywork. If you want an accurate model, you've either got to cut away the rear wheel arch swoop to raise it mostly over the wheel, or thin it within 1/32" of its life and spread the rear track a bit wider. It's a nice looking model when built, but it's crying out for the wider rear track...

best,

M.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

You'll need to decide what to do with the back end geometry. The way Airfix has it, if you want to have the stance and axle/engine/diff set-up right the wheels have to tuck inside the steel-armoured rear bodywork. If you want an accurate model, you've either got to cut away the rear wheel arch swoop to raise it mostly over the wheel, or thin it within 1/32" of its life and spread the rear track a bit wider. It's a nice looking model when built, but it's crying out for the wider rear track...

best,

M.

Thanks I will remember to look at that

Knowing some of you are Sierra fans I thought you may be interested in these. A new brand to me from the model manufacturing hotbed of Portugal. (And no, they're not Hiroboy's exclusives this time.😉)

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Knowing some of you are Sierra fans I thought you may be interested in these. A new brand to me from the model manufacturing hotbed of Portugal. (And no, they're not Hiroboy's exclusives this time.😉)

spacer.pngspacer.png

These two have been dangling like a carrot in front of a donkey for a while now . The Q8 car boxart looks especially good even before the lid is opened  !

Gary

• Like 1

I'm sitting on the fence at the minute until someone has one of the kits safely in their hands and gives a hopefully decent review

I'm sure they will be fine, I'm just wary of splashing money out on a new kit from a new manufacturer in case they're a poor representation of the cars or are badly designed and poor fits that need loads of work 🤔

I'm probably wrong, but it's all unknown quantity at present

Ian :) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Redstaff said:

I'm sitting on the fence at the minute until someone has one of the kits safely in their hands and gives a hopefully decent review

I'm sure they will be fine, I'm just wary of splashing money out on a new kit from a new manufacturer in case they're a poor representation of the cars or are badly designed and poor fits that need loads of work 🤔

I'm probably wrong, but it's all unknown quantity at present

Ian :) 

At nearly £60 each that is a wise move. Too much to risk on something that could end up being a duffer of a kit.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

At nearly £60 each that is a wise move. Too much to risk on something that could end up being a duffer of a kit.

That's what I thought, I fancy 1 or both going forward, but not if they turn out to be dogs, especially at that price.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

What is strange there is no full engine, this is something I would like to have.

I'm the opposite - I hate detailing engines so would rather have the kit sell a bit cheaper! :)  And given the prices of Belkits recently these kits seem to be on a par for most new rally car kits - Aoshima/Nunu excepted!

Thing I really don't like from the pics is the pure slick tyres. I know these were (still are?) apparently legal on European rallies (they never were in the UK on an event that had road sections between stages) given the weather and road conditions on the Monte I doubt they'd ever have been used that much? Very minor nitpick I know, but it's a pet hate of mine, especially as there are so few aftermarket options of suitable replacement rally tyres - and of course they would add to the cost.

Keith

• Like 4

@keefr22 Tyres are good question. In this picture is possible to see patern in tyre. But is this cut slick? Not sure. When I look some pictures from 1991 rally some roads are totally clean and some with snow. In Monte condition can change even in one special stage.

yrErI29.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

I'm the opposite - I hate detailing engines so would rather have the kit sell a bit cheaper! :)  And given the prices of Belkits recently these kits seem to be on a par for most new rally car kits - Aoshima/Nunu excepted!

Thing I really don't like from the pics is the pure slick tyres. I know these were (still are?) apparently legal on European rallies (they never were in the UK on an event that had road sections between stages) given the weather and road conditions on the Monte I doubt they'd ever have been used that much? Very minor nitpick I know, but it's a pet hate of mine, especially as there are so few aftermarket options of suitable replacement rally tyres - and of course they would add to the cost.

Keith

I'm with you on the engine issue  , Keith . Most kits , race or rally car , have detailed suspension that is then covered by protection plates and all that detail is then lost . So an engine , unless the kit had an opening bonnet to show it off , is not a problem for me as a builder  . Detailed interiors are more my thing . 

39 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

@keefr22 Tyres are good question. In this picture is possible to see patern in tyre. But is this cut slick? Not sure. When I look some pictures from 1991 rally some roads are totally clean and some with snow. In Monte condition can change even in one special stage.

yrErI29.jpg

Did they allow complete slicks in the Monte , that were then hand cut according to conditions 🤔 

Gary

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

@Windy37 if remember correctly hand cut was allowed. I try to find confirmation to this.

I asked the question on another forum (honestly can't remember which) and was informed that pure slicks were allowed in Europe in the Grp B era and before at least. I asked due to the tyres in the quattro sport kit being slicks again! :) So if slicks were allowed, hand cuts surely would be OK. 

4 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

But is this cut slick? Not sure. When I look some pictures from 1991 rally some roads are totally clean and some with snow. In Monte condition can change even in one special stage.

They look more like an intermediate tarmac tyre to me Vesa - from what I've seen hand cuts are usually just small straight grooves rather than an intricate pattern like that. I'm no tyre expert though! 

And I fully agree about the changeable conditions on the Monte which is why I'd be surprised if they started a stage on pure slicks when shortly down the road there could be ice patches or a snowstorm! I know they had ice note crews going through the stages before them but conditions could change completely just after they'd gone through! 

Keith

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Did they allow complete slicks in the Monte , that were then hand cut according to conditions

Now there's a thought Gary - do the same in 1/24th! Hand cutting I've seen done uses a type of hot knife implement - wonder if using something like the heated end of a screwdriver pushed into the tyre would work to give a tread pattern? :hmmm:

K

• Like 1