What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

20 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Fair play. Does anyone want to tell Hiroboy that they're not that exclusive??😀

As you started the thread, I think the honour should be yours 🤣

I had mine on order at MJR for months, I understand it's a limited run, but obviously not exclusive :) 

Ian

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Does anyone want to tell Hiroboy that they're not that exclusive??

Perhaps it's their sticker they insist on putting on everything that makes it exclusive?! 🤣

Keith

• Haha 3

I just bought the Camaro Fifty kit from AMT:

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Cars-Trucks-Motorcycles/2017-Chevrolet-Camaro-Fifty-Model-Kit/p/80827307?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2MWVBhCQARIsAIjbwoNpMqqfe0mN4G2RlrLDE-xr__Kf0TiS2clb8hO7lfCM_18DI9gx5BkaAs8OEALw_wcB

I am going to paint it lime green with a matte black hood. I am trying to decide if I should go rattle-can enamel or airbrushed enamel for the paint.  Feel free to give me your opinions on what painting method I should consider.  Cheers.

I also bought this Jaguar kit:

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/airfix-132-jaguar-xkr-gt3-fantasy-scheme-starter-s/

I made sure I chose a UK site so my British friends can use the link.  Yes, it's a starter kit but I like the lines on this one.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Brian Wilkins said:

I just bought the Camaro Fifty kit from AMT:

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Cars-Trucks-Motorcycles/2017-Chevrolet-Camaro-Fifty-Model-Kit/p/80827307?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2MWVBhCQARIsAIjbwoNpMqqfe0mN4G2RlrLDE-xr__Kf0TiS2clb8hO7lfCM_18DI9gx5BkaAs8OEALw_wcB

I am going to paint it lime green with a matte black hood. I am trying to decide if I should go rattle-can enamel or airbrushed enamel for the paint.  Feel free to give me your opinions on what painting method I should consider.  Cheers.

I also bought this Jaguar kit:

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/airfix-132-jaguar-xkr-gt3-fantasy-scheme-starter-s/

I made sure I chose a UK site so my British friends can use the link.  Yes, it's a starter kit but I like the lines on this one.  

Personally I'd go airbrush for greater control, better finish and ease to get in all the nooks and crannies. But rattle cans are good and ,as has been suggested, try out the Tamiya ones. They lay really well and have a vast range of colours.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dbostream said:

but it is probably 99% the same as the Morris one that I have already built.

I think the only real differences were the badges and the grille! That was a good price BTW.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I think the only real differences were the badges and the grille! That was a good price BTW.

And the wheels, I think this was the only release with steels and hubcaps.

It was a great price, any Tamiya Mini kit is generally fetching at least twice that in the UK, and the Austin generally more as it seems to be the rarest!

Keith

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

It was a great price, any Tamiya Mini kit is generally fetching at least twice that in the UK, and the Austin generally more as it seems to be the rarest!

Keith

3 hours ago, dbostream said:

Found this for around 15 GBP. Never owned the Austin version but it is probably 99% the same as the Morris one that I have already built.

spacer.png

Wow, that's a bargain.  Yes, it's pretty much the same as the Morris version but I love the steel wheels and their hub caps.  Tamiya also added some metal decals for the Austin badges.

25 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Keith

I think it's because Tamiya did the Morris Cooper S for a lot longer than the Austin and also sold the Morris as a rally and track racing version.

• Like 1

Just now, Marco F. said:

Sorry my Equipment is just fooling me...

..wanted to say that @keefr22 Keith was right,  it was fantastic what tamiya did with this kit.  Every version had it's own special items, different badges, rims, grilles...sadly this story ended a couple of years ago. But luckily  @motobitz.uk   is planing to offer another rim set for the Mini 

Marco F 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dbostream said:

Found this for around 15 GBP. Never owned the Austin version but it is probably 99% the same as the Morris one that I have already built.

spacer.png

That’s a bargain price for any Tamiya mini and as others say, this seems to be the hardest to find.  

99% of the Austin box art is exactly the same as the ordinary Morris one too!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

I did a '65 stepside a couple of years ago, I thought I should do a more recent one at some point. 

20220629154707-bb77c2f3-me.jpg

Nice, I love a good pickup.  I'm still after this one https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aoshima-058022-rn80-hilux-custom--1254276 I have a soft spot for the Hilux, expecially lifted and on big tyres :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HoolioPaulio said:

Nice, I love a good pickup.  I'm still after this one https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aoshima-058022-rn80-hilux-custom--1254276 I have a soft spot for the Hilux, expecially lifted and on big tyres :)

I'm kind of leaning towards this... 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, keefr22 said:

18 hours ago, johnlambert said:

Wow, that's a bargain.

18 hours ago, malpaso said:

That’s a bargain price for any Tamiya mini and as others say, this seems to be the hardest to find.  

I tried not to buy another kit but at that price I had to get it. Not often I find a good deal on ebay anymore (in this case the Swedish version).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

This Czech site has one in stock. I've ordered from them a few times with no issues but don't know about delivery to the UK or whether you'll be stung for postage and vat, etc.

https://www.car-model-kit.com/toyota-hilux-rn80-longbed-1995-1-24-aoshima

• Like 1

Yet another ebay find to fill another gap in my F1 collection just over £40 and still in it's original shrink wrap, proof that bargains are still to be had. 

Been after this one for a while, but they've always held a premium over what I was prepared to pay, but it comes to those that wait :) 

20220629_175932

• Like 12

Had a day out in Bury St. Edmunds and picked this up at the wonderful Model Junction. I could have spent an absolute fortune but stayed disciplined.

spacer.png

When I get around to it I am going to base it on one I saw on Kindig Customs.

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

at the wonderful Model Junction

Have to agree,  this was my nearest model shop when I was a kid and it's really great to see it still going strong.   I was working at Greene King on Wednesday so it would have been rude not to call in, the amount of stock they hold in such a small space is quite incredible and its definitely got the best selection of paints in the area. - Andy 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

Had a day out in Bury St. Edmunds and picked this up at the wonderful Model Junction. I could have spent an absolute fortune but stayed disciplined.

spacer.png

When I get around to it I am going to base it on one I saw on Kindig Customs.

I've not long finished this kit, it makes up into a nice model but has a few "gotchas".

1. Seam lines, I remember chasing these for a long time.

2. The side panels are separate parts and need fettling to get a nice fit.

3. The body-to-chassis fit.  I had to use lots of clamps and glue to get the two parts to stay together.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Oh, you bad, BAD man... Has it got any easier to buy things from AirTrax these days, and what do you need to have to "convert" to use this kit?

Given that you've bought this, you might also enjoy Tom Karen's brilliant autobiography:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1788700864/

best,

M.

I haven't checked out exactly what's needed to complete the kit, but I see no tyres among the parts and the box mentions "Tamiya Mini" donor. Either me or my friend Brusefält will make 3D tyres if needed. I'll check the kit parts closer soon though.

I don't know how they deal online these days, but they are active and had some newly developed kits for sale on their table today.

Could be an interesting read.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1