What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

I stopped in Helsinki old shop named Tietonikkari, shop that have been there from my childhood. Of course I made some purchases.

Old Tamiya Fiat 131 that was again taken in production.

p?i=15d6c034442d1471bb27f7a274145951

Audi Quattro from Italeri that is also from old molds. We definitely need need kit for early Quattro.

p?i=b909e96cec6d03316699322c0279aff1

And classic Heller Alpine A110.  I know Tamiya is better in details, but I have my doubts related Tamiya shape.

p?i=b0de29996a4bdbb6f54653a11492371a

• Like 13

There's definitely a theme to my latest purcheses.

y4mS2O8yRwB2aDiUpUfrdcT5UxUqfHytEAtUjtE1

This one will lose the gold bling for a more standard look.

y4mIdqm_6a67A6TptPCfFzcPXxg86HUESHrM84vK

I might have to try and find some replacement tyres for this as the kit items look way too small.

y4mkFLM6uNet4qnKzTiQDMpTOUnrOlXEzAVLyIdF

This will probably be done out of the box, although I don't know if I can replicate the funky upholstery but there are some interesting colour and trim options for this kit.

• Like 12

Very nice purchase.  The 300 CE I've never seen before .

I have the 560sec is in my stash and I agree the wheels don't fit, they are way too small,  but I read this kit keeps more uncomfortable suprisses...like fit issues

And the Lorinser,  I hope is as good as the boxart 

Please open all these 3 boxes for us 

Marco F 

• Like 1

Nice selection of kits John I'm sure you'll be able to find some aftermarket wheels and tyres from somewhere 🙂👍

• Like 1

John, I'd ditch the 560 SEC's wheels as well as the tyres - it suffers from the same typically Revell issues as the 750iL that you bought from me and even with higher profile tyres, the wheels are still too small.

Tamiya did some nice wheels with their W140 (the next generation) S Class saloon & coupe, but probably not that easy to source*.  Here's some aftermarket wheel sets that may be of interest:

https://www.hiroboy.com/124_16_Wheels_Mercedes_AMG_Penta--product--15089.html

https://www.hiroboy.com/124_18_Wheels_AMG_I_Monoblock_with_Tyres--product--15064.html

https://www.hiroboy.com/124_Glassenheit_DISIX_Revo_20_Wheels_and_Tyres--product--12074.html

(not M-B, but similar enough to the AMG monoblocks)

(*I think that I may have a spare set of wheels & tyres from a Tamiya W140 but not 100% certain - if I do, it's this style:  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-24118-mercedes-benz-600-sel--129628).

Thank you for the comments.  @Marco F. here are some pictures.

y4mHAMBnvvH2AAaIVHwL8N1pYNydM48LcWkpx5Q3

Overview of the contents of the CE kit.

y4mE-nlBHVT0sntTf2cRqBmRV988oZLS54bDLoLR

The wheels in all their blinged up glory, they will have their time with the spray paint and emerge a more appropriate colour.

y4mmyoPAlI9FwxZaSeIFFoaSHVznIf5y8Gcjrfnw

The windscreen pillars have been bent at some point but a bit of heat should straighten them out.

y4m4u4shIAI3Po01xELzlzZaACAQW5JuGbDP3fM6

Some gold foil for the wheel arch trims and some black for the lower body sides.  I don't see any use for these on this kit.

y4mrgg-LkLd7YTmwhPAJRYqK2IjYZHLqsrPh2uZh

Overview of the Tamiya SEC, the body, chassis and upper sprue are the same as Tamiya's kit of the standard 500SEC (which I also have).

y4mr-ZckxpOz1UKl1K16Y3-NjkBXNc5D0LlW4zw-

This sprue has the Lorinser parts including deeper bumpers, side skirts, sports seats and different wheels.

y4m7Y1ulwtL8KinZgpxEXvGbMdrNnuMGRdzd3bba

You get a choice of steering wheels and a model in-car telephone.

y4mqBirxz882yI2LpQV3lhVtnOAiQ9aCyxOa9pkq

For comparison this is the equivalent sprue for the standard SEC.

@Andy J and @Paul H

Thanks for the comments on the wheels, I have a set of "Mexican hat" alloys for the standard Tamiya SEC because the kit wheels look awful although they are probably accurate to the standard wheels offered (I'm sure alloys were an optional extra even on a top of the range SEC).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Some more box contents for @Marco F. and others who may be interested.  This time the Revell SEC.

y4mOVnFf-zlEpQtI_XZAaG84dTfu6-K0UFU8twXI

y4mM8bf_bCPN6APdz9ipelx03Jk4jnTQGBHPdhWZ

y4mBkDt1bDakSlV3Au7u0_RmuAAe9YdngDfT8LJ3

Decals have perhaps yellowed a little with age.  Plus further proof that Revell doesn't understand UK registration plates, I don't think I've ever seen Q used except on a Q-plate for kit cars and others of uncertain provenance. 

y4mz1xqHm2dgVKmIVGaxETcps28a6fWb_I3BsqHU

Side-by-side comparison with the Tamiya SEC shell.

y4mcg70Jq2-XSBo8kL59v16aSmrVUHRdEB17gbPt

Revell body plonked on the Tamiya chassis and interior tub.  The rear parcel shelf would need trimming because of the Revell shell's rear windscreen frame and opening boot.

y4mrZbzccrpB8dTwsokRYkkvhsB3CsZBquwKu_Od

A selection of wheels and tyres.  From left to right you have aftermarket resin tyres and "15-inch" alloys, the standard Tamiya SEC wheels and tyres, the Revell "low profile" tyres and the Revell wheels, which measure about 18mm across the face, It looks like the aftermarket resin tyres would fit the Revell wheels but that doesn't solve the issue of the Revell wheels looking under-sized.

y4mgJESRjE0K5TN-bcETvauxuda4kkCD9shHU1UG

Close-up of aftermarket and Revell tyres.

y4mIUTrUBFDyNcZa3cYEPlKTgWCpiuLSakg2Kpg0

Packaging for the aftermarket wheels.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Fnick said:

Putting like a V8 more like! 😄. Nice selection btw.

Nick

Cheers Nick I have another selection of kits to post here soon and these are definitely different to what I usually purchase but variety is the spice of life as they say 😉👍

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Malc2 said:

Start of the carbon revolution. Resin quality is fantastic, shape looks spot on too.

IMG-7216.jpg

M.

That does indeed look beautiful M very nice indeed 👍 👌 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Andy J said:

A few new additions just to keep the stash ticking over 🙂

spacer.png

Perhaps with a steady flow of new kits coming to your house there is a bigger chance they go undetected. I should try that...

I really want that 944, do you know if all parts are included to build a road version?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dbostream said:

Perhaps with a steady flow of new kits coming to your house there is a bigger chance they go undetected. I should try that...

I really want that 944, do you know if all parts are included to build a road version?

Well you get the interior for the road going version but I'll be using the racing seat and roll cage for my build 🙂👍

• Like 3

I'm not sure how this fits with @Marco F. saying that I collect gentleman's cars (which is how I like to see my collection.

y4mOZRqX6OtG3voML63MpDCAeEX4TeTi03LiXOdZ

But there was something irresistible about the Academy 1:24 Hyundai Pony.

y4m094ADVwy0-zO6fcNH4GU0h9bE6caJztTpwliH

The body looks quite nicely moulded.  I believe that any similarities to the Morris Marina are purely coincidental.

y4m8XOGXRp1FK62u8LpqYpOJjUHASk4n07XmWPAY

The kit comes with the option of steel wheels with or without hub caps.  These look like they might be useful for anyone who wants a set of basic Ford steel wheels (remember that Hyundai built Fords under licence for Korea).  You get coloured plastic for the tail lamps and indicators.

y4mzqaaxLcu6Kr0W8hTxVBrjWjkhGeJTrXbA3YJq

There are parts for a taxi version, which I've seen on Scalemates as a new version.  This is the roof board, if you're handy with making decals you could convert one of these to a taxi.

y4mAyuUdrdvt2pK2jQrucw_TrFa8Ed36Q_pU8OCF

A basic underside with moulded in sump and gearbox, I've no idea what a Pony looks like underneath but I assume it's accurate.

y4mZ1Td7xr3VJzHgoLuiG8EQKrY_7V7SKzED42zT

You get a female figure to display alongside the finished model.

y4mKq5jbkJozICUVK0Nn6s7a3ZxHiUdEvaCxl9ZH

You get a choice of black plastic mirrors, in the instructions I think 2 and 3 are not used in this version.

y4m8_ORrE7Np55h5Q0tnJB4pXnXuSGsf654YLZtL

There are also chrome mirrors, which are intended for the taxi version.

y4mSELT6uwdN8cok3cqnniZ1mnh2Y9WB5uvb5RaW

A set of stickers are provided.

y4mrz8w-HHvTpCkp6ULInwGRN-_vMLB9sQdHGPhR

The kit also comes with a set of waterslide decals.

• Like 8

Having realised I have enough 4 wheeled kits in the stash for the time being I've decided to expand my stash of 2 wheeled kits slightly 🙂

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have built a couple of bike kits but it's been a while ago and having taken inspiration from some recent excellent builds on the forum I fancy a crack at a bike build or ten 🙂👍

• Like 8

On 03/06/2022 at 10:20, johnlambert said:

Decals have perhaps yellowed a little with age.  Plus further proof that Revell doesn't understand UK registration plates, I don't think I've ever seen Q used except on a Q-plate for kit cars and others of uncertain provenance. 

I don't think I've seen that either, but as an issue it pales into insignificance compared to Italeri's 'attempt' at UK plates on their Transit British Gas van 🙄

3687_decalsLR.jpg

4 hours ago, johnlambert said:

I'm not sure how this fits with @Marco F. saying that I collect gentleman's cars (which is how I like to see my collection.

y4mOZRqX6OtG3voML63MpDCAeEX4TeTi03LiXOdZ

But there was something irresistible about the Academy 1:24 Hyundai Pony.

Much as I hate to admit it, this one is tempting me too. But first, there's a Sunny/Pulsar GTi-R to buy once it reaches one of my usual purchasing outlets :) The only thing I'm not so keen on is that it comes with a figure. I'll be interested to see what you make of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

I don't think I've seen that either, but as an issue it pales into insignificance compared to Italeri's 'attempt' at UK plates on their Transit British Gas van 🙄

3687_decalsLR.jpg

Much as I hate to admit it, this one is tempting me too. But first, there's a Sunny/Pulsar GTi-R to buy once it reaches one of my usual purchasing outlets :) The only thing I'm not so keen on is that it comes with a figure. I'll be interested to see what you make of it.

Oh dear, the Italeri GP 'plates are poor.

Yes, I was a bit disappointed that the Pony came with a figure, I guess you don't have to build it if you don't want to.  I don't think I'll be going to the lengths of the A4 Garages as per the video @keefr22 shared.

BTW I can't remember if I said, but I thought those steel wheels that come with the Pony looked so useful that I've actually bought a second one just in case I need a set of wheels for a 1970s basic Ford.  I remember seeing a resin Ford Cortina Mk3 body shell once, for which the wheels would be perfect.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

I don't think I'll be going to the lengths of the A4 Garages

His work is a bit extreme I admit, but I just love watching master craftsmen at work - and the masterpieces they create! I'm just a kit assembler and am often in awe at what some of the guys on YT get up to! :)

Keith

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

His work is a bit extreme I admit, but I just love watching master craftsmen at work - and the masterpieces they create! I'm just a kit assembler and am often in awe at what some of the guys on YT get up to! :)

Keith

Oh yes, absolutely.  I don't know about you, but it inspires me to have a go at adding extra details to my models; even if it's only basic stuff like wiring, plumbing and seat belts.

• Like 4