What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

Good find on the Renaissance Porsche! I have made quite a few of their 1/43 kits and I have to say they’re over engineered with dodgy photo etch. Having said that I’ve never seen one of their 1/24 kits in the flesh,it looks good .Chris.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PatW said:

Latest News! The kit was delivered today 04.05.22. Although it was all intact in the factory sealed bag, the box and instruction look like they have been in a very damp place for years. I also noticed that the date on both is 1965!

Is it an original or a reissue?  I noticed the reissues still have a 1965 date for Roth's original car, even though the model kit copyright date is later.

Edited by Six97s

8 hours ago, Six97s said:

Is it an original or a reissue?  I noticed the reissues still have a 1965 date for Roth's original car, even though the model kit copyright date is later.

Well you like me both in the UK, how can we tell?

Consider this a sneak preview of my next build!

I bought this rare AMT/ERTL 1:16 scale 1964/5 Mustang kit from Kingkit, a website I really need to stay well away from due to the unfortunate detrimental effect it has on my wallet.  Heaven knows how old it is, the only clue I could find was the message "Made in the USA by ERTL" on the side of the box.  Like all their pre-owned kits, it was guaranteed checked and complete and arrived well packed in excellent condition.  Looking back on the site a week or so later I was surprised to find another one had appeared in it's place so perhaps not quite so rare after all!

I'm really looking forward to the build and will be trying out some of the new (to me) materials and methods I've discovered during my short sojourn on this forum.  It'll be a little while yet as a dose of Real Life is hampering my efforts to find enough time to start it but I'll post a full build record as soon as I can get going on it.

spacer.png

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Neddy said:

I bought this rare AMT/ERTL 1:16 scale 1964/5 Mustang kit from Kingkit,

I still have the one I built probably twenty years or more ago. Bright yellow. Needs dusting though.

Make sure you do plenty of dry fitting. The engine bay is worth detailing. The doors may need careful fitting or they'll sag.

12 hours ago, Neddy said:

kit from Kingkit, a website I really need to stay well away from

I didn't know this site. Now I do. Oh dear for my wallet also if I'm not careful.

• Haha 3

Pete, thanks for the tips.  With older kits dry-fitting becomes second nature unfortunately as I'm sure you've already discovered!  Door fitting in particular has plagued every kit I've built  since my resurgence, to the point at which on one model I was tempted to either cement the bloody things shut or fix them permanently open.  I persevered but it was a damned close run thing...  :hmmm:

Edited by Neddy
Typo rectification
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Neddy said:

Consider this a sneak preview of my next build!

I bought this rare AMT/ERTL 1:16 scale 1964/5 Mustang kit from Kingkit, a website I really need to stay well away from due to the unfortunate detrimental effect it has on my wallet.  Heaven knows how old it is, the only clue I could find was the message "Made in the USA by ERTL" on the side of the box.  Like all their pre-owned kits, it was guaranteed checked and complete and arrived well packed in excellent condition.  Looking back on the site a week or so later I was surprised to find another one had appeared in it's place so perhaps not quite so rare after all!

I'm really looking forward to the build and will be trying out some of the new (to me) materials and methods I've discovered during my short sojourn on this forum.  It'll be a little while yet as a dose of Real Life is hampering my efforts to find enough time to start it but I'll post a full build record as soon as I can get going on it.

That ERTL reissue is from the mid '80s.  It builds up OK, but isn't entirely accurate... the main problem is the windscreen is raked too much, but not the easiest thing to fix.   It has a nice set of American Racing 200S "daisy" mags, which look a lot better on it than those wheel covers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, PatW said:

Well you like me both in the UK, how can we tell?

An original would say something like Revell Inc. Venice, California on the box.   Reissue would say Revell-Monogram Morton Grove, IL with a 1993 copyright date.

• Like 1

Having looked at the new RoG E-Type and dismissed it, I decided to keep an eye out for the original 1/25 Revell kit.  This one was fairly cheap, I think it's the second version of the box art, but still early '60s (1963 IIRC).  I know it's been reissued to death, but I like the older ones.

xke01-vi.jpg

xke02-vi.jpg

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 2

Added this to the stash the other day. 

oBMqjsp.jpg

It (seriously) wasn‘t my meaning to buy another 911 based kit, but I had purchased some Revell paints from a department store near to my work and as I came home I discovered that I had duplicates of several colours all unopened. So I went back to the nice lady at the store to ask for a swap to some colours I was missing, but as none of these were available I had to take this kit 😁 

As @Alan R also mentioned, it might be sitting a bit high.  Hope you will build yours first Alan, so I can see how you get around that :) 

Johnny b 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

It (seriously) wasn‘t my meaning to buy another 911 based kit, but I had purchased some Revell paints from a department store near to my work and as I came home I discovered that I had duplicates of several colours all unopened. So I went back to the nice lady at the store to ask for a swap to some colours I was missing, but as none of these were available I had to take this kit 😁 

This makes perfect sense Johnny

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, desert falcon said:

had to take this kit 

That's the law isn't it?! 🤣

One thing about that kit - does anyone know if it's a genuine colour scheme? I couldn't recall seeing a real Martini 934 so did a cursory google when it came out but couldn't find any reference of one, except maybe one dressed up as a 'tribute'? But I didn't really look very hard!

Keith

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

One thing about that kit - does anyone know if it's a genuine colour scheme? I couldn't recall seeing a real Martini 934 so did a cursory google when it came out but couldn't find any reference of one, except maybe one dressed up as a 'tribute'? But I didn't really look very hard!

Been thinking about the same? Found one picture on Pinterest of a white Martini 934 doing a lap on a track of a kind, it had No. 60 and to me a least looked pretty similar to the Revell kit. Other Martini RSR‘s seems to be mainly silver or even maybe dark blue? 

Once I get started, I might allow myself some artistic freedom … 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Added this to the stash the other day. 

oBMqjsp.jpg

As @Alan R also mentioned, it might be sitting a bit high.  Hope you will build yours first Alan, so I can see how you get around that :) 

Johnny b 

Alan is right,  OOB it will sit way to high. 

I found an article in Modell Fan Sept.2017 (a german kit magazine) about the Porsche.  The solution was to lower the stance  about 4mm and change the wheels to Scaleproduction BBS 

https://www.scaleproduction.de/product_info.php?info=p1893_16--bbs-e56.html

Marco F 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

Alan is right,  OOB it will sit way to high. 

I found an article in Modell Fan Sept.2017 (a german kit magazine) about the Porsche.  The solution was to lower the stance  about 4mm and change the wheels to Scaleproduction BBS 

https://www.scaleproduction.de/product_info.php?info=p1893_16--bbs-e56.html

Marco F 

Thanks a lot Marco, link duly noted 👍

Will have to see if I can source that issue of Modell Fan somewhere. 

5 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

Thanks a lot Marco, link duly noted 👍

Will have to see if I can source that issue of Modell Fan somewhere. 

Send me a PM and I can send yo PDFs of this article in the next days 

Marco F 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

Marco F 

Hi Marco

If I PM you , may I have a copy of the PDFs too ?

Thanks

John Green 

57 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

Marco F 

That’s very kind of you, I have sent you a PM. 

I’ll make sure to do a WIP on it once I get started, to describe the lowering job. 

Something to keep me occupied over the winter months 😉👍

spacer.png

I'm not a big fan of Italeri kits but I just couldn't resist this one 🙂👍

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Something to keep me occupied over the winter months 😉👍

Hooray, he's back....!!! :thumbsup:

Good to see you again mate, looking forward to the build!

Keith

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Hooray, he's back....!!! :thumbsup:

Good to see you again mate, looking forward to the build!

Keith

Thanks for the warm greeting Keith much appreciated mate 👍. I'm still up to my neck in diy atm but a bit of forward planning never hurt anyone....infact I've also added the kit below another one off the bucket list 😉👍

spacer.png

• Like 9