What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

More than I wanted to pay (especially with Postage from France) but not so high as to actually put me off buying it. Came with the second set of Abu Dhabi decals as part of the auction, which I'm glad about and without which I may not have bought it. The 2013 Red/Gold Abu Dhabi/Total livery is amongst my favourite (and I think the DS3 is a great looking rally car), whereas the 2012 Red Bull one amongst the least. The Red Bull decals are also of a lower quality and to get around the lack of licensing, would be pieced together like some kind of logo jigsaw. Although they are actually accurate unlike that box art which is more like Red Blob.

Happy to say the Heller DS3 is a better kit that the Heller Xsara (of which I have the Airfix rebox). At least the DS3 has steering wheels and door cards.  Although "better" is a relative term here. It's still lacking a lot.  Anyhow, the Abu Dhabi/Total Heller DS3 was at the top of my "unicorn" list - a slot now occupied by the Fujimi McLaren F1 Short tail Ueno Clinic race version, any example of which has yet to show itself for auction for at least a couple of years.

spacer.png

• Like 7

14 hours ago, galaxyg said:

More than I wanted to pay (especially with Postage from France) but not so high as to actually put me off buying it. Came with the second set of Abu Dhabi decals as part of the auction, which I'm glad about and without which I may not have bought it. The 2013 Red/Gold Abu Dhabi/Total livery is amongst my favourite (and I think the DS3 is a great looking rally car), whereas the 2012 Red Bull one amongst the least. The Red Bull decals are also of a lower quality and to get around the lack of licensing, would be pieced together like some kind of logo jigsaw. Although they are actually accurate unlike that box art which is more like Red Blob.

Happy to say the Heller DS3 is a better kit that the Heller Xsara (of which I have the Airfix rebox). At least the DS3 has steering wheels and door cards.  Although "better" is a relative term here. It's still lacking a lot.  Anyhow, the Abu Dhabi/Total Heller DS3 was at the top of my "unicorn" list - a slot now occupied by the Fujimi McLaren F1 Short tail Ueno Clinic race version, any example of which has yet to show itself for auction for at least a couple of years.

spacer.png

Look forward to seeing this built, I know what you mean about Heller being basic though, but at least I've always found the body shells to be fairly accurate, which is what we're all after really :) 

On 2/23/2022 at 8:35 PM, Spiny said:

That would have gone down great when I was at uni - beer for on the way to the pub and kebab for the way back.

It's certainly looks a lot cleaner than the greasy burger van I used to frequent on the way home from the student union bar

59 minutes ago, Jered said:

I was looking at this on scale mates the other day! I'm very envious

I saw it as a future release in s YouTube video and knew I had to get one. Immediately pre-ordered from Hobby Search

Arrived around a week after shipping, no delay at customs and no extra charges, so I was a happy bunny

Depending on time, it may make an appearance in the Japanese GB later this year

/P

• Like 3

On 25/02/2022 at 22:38, psdavidson said:

It's certainly looks a lot cleaner than the greasy burger van I used to frequent on the way home from the student union bar

I saw it as a future release in s YouTube video and knew I had to get one. Immediately pre-ordered from Hobby Search

Arrived around a week after shipping, no delay at customs and no extra charges, so I was a happy bunny

Depending on time, it may make an appearance in the Japanese GB later this year

/P

Anyone know the Japanese for "bossman"? 😂

(Least, that's what all the kebab wagon chefs call their customers round 'ere!)

• Haha 2

Hi all 

Being an Elvis fan what more of an excuse do I need to build one of the cars he owned? 😄. I didn't want to do a Cadillac (got one on the go) and after looking at what was available I finally (at second attempt) managed to win this at auction!

spacer.png

Elvis's car started off as white but he had it repainted red as too many fans were leaving messages and phone numbers in lipstick! 

When I get around to building this I'll do it in white just because I already have a couple of red cars and no white ones yet! 😃

5 cars in the stash.. what's happening to me...😱

Nick

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

Cheers John. Won't be for a while. It's gone to the back of the queue!

For anyone who is interested heres link to a video showing the restoration of Elvis's BMW. Fair to say it had fallen into a bad state!

Nick

• Like 2

On 28/02/2022 at 19:42, Fnick said:

Hi all 

Being an Elvis fan what more of an excuse do I need to build one of the cars he owned? 😄. I didn't want to do a Cadillac (got one on the go) and after looking at what was available I finally (at second attempt) managed to win this at auction!

😂

spacer.png

Elvis's car started off as white but he had it repainted red as too many fans were leaving messages and phone numbers in lipstick! 

When I get around to building this I'll do it in white just because I already have a couple of red cars and no white ones yet! 😃

5 cars in the stash.. what's happening to me...😱

Nick

I always thought that Elvis owned a hardtop...so I hope your kit has this option, if I remember right my one don't include a hardtop, but I'll have a look at my stash 🤔

...May take a little time just because I have more than 5 kits stashed in my  cave 🤫🤔

Marco F :penguin:

• Like 1

Well a quick search and you can see it with white hard top, black soft top and top down. The kit I have has the soft top. I was thinking of doing it with the top down anyway.

One thing I'll be interested to do is use a lightweight Chevrolet V8 engine as that is what Elvis had the engine swapped to. Would anyone know where I can get a 1/24 scale V8 or if there is a kit that has that type of engine?

Nick

One of the new MiniArt kits, this is a really nice subject. 

20220304165848-596f2307-me.jpg

And the T1 Kastenwagen, I'm currently building the camper but it's for a friend so it won't be in my cabinet. I want one on my own shelves!

20220304165848-333503d0-me.jpg

• Like 8

On 02/03/2022 at 20:34, Fnick said:

Well a quick search and you can see it with white hard top, black soft top and top down. The kit I have has the soft top. I was thinking of doing it with the top down anyway.

One thing I'll be interested to do is use a lightweight Chevrolet V8 engine as that is what Elvis had the engine swapped to. Would anyone know where I can get a 1/24 scale V8 or if there is a kit that has that type of engine?

Nick

Would the V8 from Revell's 1958 Chevrolet Corvette be any good?  I think it's 1:24 rather than 1:25 and is a small-block of about the right era.

• Thanks 1

Good shout John. Although you got the scales the wrong way around! 🙂 507 is in 1/24 and corvette is in 1/25. Might be all right. Guess I'll have to wait for a good bargain on eBay and I can build the corvette as a curbside model!

Cheers, Nick

• Thanks 1

I have just brought the 1/12 Italeri Lancia Delta. The kit looks good, but I am thinking there will be decal options issued for this widely used car and I quite fancy the red San Remo winner of 1989. So that is my excuse not to build it just yet.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JeroenS said:

One of the new MiniArt kits, this is a really nice subject. 

20220304165848-596f2307-me.jpg

And the T1 Kastenwagen, I'm currently building the camper but it's for a friend so it won't be in my cabinet. I want one on my own shelves!

20220304165848-333503d0-me.jpg

Please tell me the truck will be used in some sort of 30s Chicago bootlegging diorama!

• Like 2

I needed some paint so I visited my local model shop and, well, something happened...

y4mJcXFlYJt7VCBqcj82LNsEACZhrw8wvaw6xuWO

I've always liked the Mazda RX7 and for the price the kit seemed too good to pass up.  The official colour options are a bit limited; black, red or yellow although this is one of a small number of cars that I actually like when painted red, so I might go for that with tan seats.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, OutcastJoel said:

Please tell me the truck will be used in some sort of 30s Chicago bootlegging diorama!

I have to admit that would be exactly the thing for it. 

• Like 3