What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

49 minutes ago, Jered said:

Looking forwards to seeing that build if and when you find the decals!

I’ll probably end up going with the yellow and black Pennzoil car from Indycals. They have the advantage of being readily available.🙂

Ben

• Like 1

I came across this on the second hand site for a good price, and I couldn't resist.... I'd love a 1/8 truck kit but these are very very expensive. So I'll just build this and I can always build the truck around it 😉 

20211229155746-32ee9642-me.jpg

I've scratch built this engine last year for a 1/32 scale Volvo build, and I actually learned a lot from that. So it will be nice to be able to dig into this deeper and try to make it as true to life as I can. 

20200412111816-8d69f2b6-me.jpg

• Like 10

A kit I've been chasing after for years turned up here today, the Revell/Monogram Pro Modeller Dodge Daytona.

20211229-150858.jpg

It was found in the USA on this website:

https://www.mikesdecals.com/

To make up a better package to help with the postage I added some of their decal sheets. All for NASCAR Daytonas and Superbirds. The Richard Petty #43 sheet covers quite a few of his cars. The Piper Trash Can Liner sheet just makes me smile.

The quality of the decals has to be seen to be believed, they look fantastic. 

20211229-151106.jpg

20211229-151157.jpg

Bought as part of a long term plan to build a series of winged cars, both Superbirds and Daytonas. Building might even begin later this year.

• Like 11

New tooled Hasegawa MR2 (AW11) first gen w/ supercharger just arrived from HLJ. I forgot I pre-ordered this many months ago. I hoped that it wasn’t a re-box of the old Fujimi and it’s not - all new tooling and looks really good. Unfortunately the postage exceeded the price of this kit by a few dollars - I did not want to take a chance and have this kit end up spending a year or two sitting in a shipping container.

I owned a new red ‘86 MR2 normally aspirated back in my bachelor days, what a wonderfully good handling fun car (although slow by today’s standards but quick enough back then). What color should I paint this one (not red!)?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by nearsightedjohn
Spelling
  • Like 13

And of course abiding by the rule that if you have a kit you must buy any sister ones ( See post above )

Especially as this one from Kingkit seems to be the only one that was easily findable

resized_d430c6d9-29e6-4828-9333-bf7fe9fc

• Like 7

2 hours ago, nearsightedjohn said:

New tooled Hasegawa MR2 (AW11) first gen w/ supercharger just arrived from HLJ. I forgot I pre-ordered this many months ago. I hoped that it wasn’t a re-box of the old Fujimi and it’s not - all new tooling and looks really good. Unfortunately the postage exceeded the price of this kit by a few dollars - I did not want to take a chance and have this kit end up spending a year or two sitting in a shipping container.

I owned a new red ‘86 MR2 normally aspirated back in my bachelor days, what a wonderfully good handling fun car (although slow by today’s standards but quick enough back then). What color should I paint this one (not red!)?

I rather like it in white actually.

Hi Jerome, I think I agree with you on the white, that ‘88 box art car looks really good. I also like that two-tone dark green and champagne scheme that Toyota offered in ‘86 but I don’t believe it came on the later supercharged models. I have an older Fujimi MR2 kit I may do in the two-tone.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cherry268 said:

And of course abiding by the rule that if you have a kit you must buy any sister ones ( See post above )

Especially as this one from Kingkit seems to be the only one that was easily findable

Using that logic, you will be needing a Chevy Fire Chiefs car and a support van as well. And a six story warehouse. Things soon spiral out of control!

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, TonyW said:

Using that logic, you will be needing a Chevy Fire Chiefs car and a support van as well. And a six story warehouse. Things soon spiral out of control!

Only went after the sister, not the son and daughter😀

To be truthful I've looked for the support van but couldn't find so have convinced myself i don't need it and the car is not my interest at all

You know that thing where you set off to the local model shop with a fairly clear idea of what you are looking for, or even a couple of options in mind, and you come away with something completely different..... ⁉️

Well, I just had an attack..... 

IMG_20220105_170926

To be honest I was looking more for a viable Matchbox moulding repopped by Revell, aircraft that is - I wish they'd redo those Mbox vintage cars-then the Airfix Trident vintage classic reissue caugh my eye, and then I went down the next aisle........., 😇

I've never done a Fujimi car or a Fujimi anything, but I've read a few build threads on their various kits and they all seem to be fairly positive, from memory. 

A bit more expenditure than I anticipated, but it's the new year and the thing about club discount is, the more you spend the more the discount. 

Right......?? 

First glance in the box suggests that this is going to be good, above average. Am I right or deluding myself? 

I'm no dedicated car kit builder but the GT40 is very much my era. I was a keen slot Racer in my youth. I've done the Heller E-type race car in Cunningham livery and their Talbot Lago T26 Racer, and well down the road with my Ferrari 250 gto by Revell.

Oh yea and the 2017 Ford GT le Mans as well. 

So, Fujimi a cut above this kind of modelling?? 

Not sure when I'll get round to it, I've got a few things on the go already. But if there are any good WIPs on here of this kit, by all means share a link with me. 

😎

• Like 7

Hmmm.... The Hasegawa MR2 looks to be far better tooling than the primitive old Fujimi. I note the Hasegawa appears to have a full engine, which their Historic Car Series don't tend to, but that's not quite the case. In fact they've opted for a weird half and half job with the cam cover moulded onto a tray and everything else hung underneath, so whilst there's an illusion of depth from underneath (where it can't normally be seen), the illusion is lost when viewed from above.  

See what I mean here: 

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10813081

I wonder if some judicious detailing may improve the effect? (yes, it would, but why have they made it this way in the first place...?)

Other than that, I have to say the body and general stance look really good. 

On 01/01/2022 at 16:09, cherry268 said:

My better insisted I find something to give me for Christmas so I ended up with this

On the list for 2036 I think at my speed

resized_7c088db6-52e0-4bd9-8e52-970f92ab

On 04/01/2022 at 21:32, cherry268 said:

Oof! I absolutely love rescue vehicles. I think their specific adaptations make them really interesting and it's also so cool as a celebration of the work people do - risking their lives to save those of others.

spacer.png

Whole heap of super detailing bits arrived today. Might have gone a little crazy but ah well, you only live once!

That's a Mazda 787b book, not an MFH model kit (yeah, me too. I wish!)

Edited by Jered
  • Like 2

That new tool MR2 looks very interesting - based on how the body is moulded, is there full engine detail?  Good to see what looks like proper door card detail for the interior too, unlike their recent BMW 2002.

Must resist - am supposed to be selling off models as I've far, far too many than I can ever build...

Edited by Paul H
typo

Last year I broke with modelling protocol and built more models (3) than I bought (2). So after building the Jag I felt it was only fair to go out and purchase another entrant for the stash. When I eventually get around to building it (probably about 2026!) I can't see me doing all the extra work that @Toftdale Andy has done to his, but I want mine as a Lotus 7 anyway so out of box should be fine.

51815005701_afa52fdebc_b.jpg

Of course, less than 8 hours after that I discovered that Hasegawa are releasing a Nissan Pulsar GTi-R before too long which was a car I really wanted around the time I was learning to drive - something about having a Nissan Sunny which would leave a top-spec Ferrari off the line naturally appealed. So that will be another claim on my wallet when the time comes. Got to say that Hasegawa seem to be on a real roll at the moment.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

Of course, less than 8 hours after that I discovered that Hasegawa are releasing a Nissan Pulsar GTi-R before too long which was a car I really wanted around the time I was learning to drive - something about having a Nissan Sunny which would leave a top-spec Ferrari off the line naturally appealed. So that will be another claim on my wallet when the time comes. Got to say that Hasegawa seem to be on a real roll at the moment.

I saw this new kit as well, and I wonder how long before they also release the rally version of the same.  I agree, Hasegawa really are on a roll. A few years ago I regarded them as a manufacturer that dabbled in cars in the past, and now they're going all-in and I am very grateful that they are. Especially since they're hitting that sweet spot of 80s and 90s JDM. They're (along with Beemax and Belkits) also filling a Rally car niche that Tamiya seem to have long abandoned.

I passed my test in a Nissan Sunny, and about 50% of my driving lessons were taken in the same. Really nice gearbox, aside from when I kept crunching it.

Edited by galaxyg
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

Hasegawa are releasing a Nissan Pulsar GTi-R

Oh 'eck I'd missed that - another car I would have loved to have owned and which is now well out of reach! Have they announced just a road car or group a rally car too?  There goes me buying no more kits out of the window - but resolutions are made to be broken! :)

Keith

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Oh 'eck I'd missed that - another car I would have loved to have owned and which is now well out of reach! Have they announced just a road car or group a rally car too?  There goes me buying no more kits out of the window - but resolutions are made to be broken! :)

Keith

Just the road car for now but based on their recent form (The Supra, the RX-7, the Corolla and the Bluebird come to mind amongst others), a motorsport version won't be far behind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Spiny said:

Last year I broke with modelling protocol and built more models (3) than I bought (2). So after building the Jag I felt it was only fair to go out and purchase another entrant for the stash. When I eventually get around to building it (probably about 2026!) I can't see me doing all the extra work that @Toftdale Andy has done to his, but I want mine as a Lotus 7 anyway so out of box should be fine.

Not starting until 2026, hopefully I'll beat you to the finish line (but no guarantees) - Andy.   PS its a great kit and more than fine out of the box 👍

• Like 2

I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this kit to be honest. It’s a 3d printed 1/24 Porsche 917/10 Can Am car,I am sure you’ll all recognise the body shape! 
It’s made by Capri- schorsch whose 1/12 kits are also on here. Never seen a 3d printed kit before and I saw a you tube video about this kit which made me definitely want to get one. I am very impressed with the very fine detail,some of it is almost see through,all the vents etc.are there. No decals,as you have find your own but I’ve already decide to do the L and M cigarettes car. See below- Chris.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1