What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

If stockpiling Aoshima MGBs, IMHO the one to get is the rubber bumper kit, as it has all the parts for the chrome bumper one, but also comes with Rostyle wheels (only the new release - not the older ones), and also the full range of weather equipment options (can't remember off the top of my head, but think it's the half tonneau cover part that is on the same sprue as the rubber bumpers).

The C1 GT transkit that I bought a while back is probably going to be a V8 - I already have a roadster that is light blue and I suspect that one of the several others will be a rubber bumper roadster (I have quite a few of the Airfix boxings that I bought cheaply as they make excellent donors for AirTrax's Volvo kits.

• Like 2

On 09/12/2021 at 21:23, Black Knight said:

Unfortunately the 'Dixi' is a mirrored A7. It'll take a lot of work to make into an A7, even the chassis is mirrored. I have a kit to finish

I do have a couple of East German Austin 7 kits though. One might get a scratch built body and 'Ulster' gubbins

Officially the 'Ulster' was only the factory 4 racing cars, the works-replicas (about 330 afair) were 'two seat tourers'

Didn't realise about the mirroring - seems odd, unless required to make everything fit for LHD?

Were the Ulster Reps actually listed under that description by Austin or just called that by the press at the time?  It's a very strange use of the description tourer for that bodystyle - although not as bad as the current usage by some car companies...

On 10/12/2021 at 11:25, johnlambert said:

One of my favourite things to show people when I'm volunteering at the British Motor Museum is the under bonnet layout of the Austin 7 and then do the same with the museum's BMW DIXI, to demonstrate how it is a mirror image.

As for A7 kits, Southeast Finecast does an Austin 7 but I don't know how easy it would be to chop it about?

I drove an Austin 7 for the first time this year, a 2-seat sort-of Ulster, and absolutely loved it.  Definitely a car to buy when circumstances permit.

Isn't the SE Finecast one a Chummy?  I must admit that would be tempting, as that's the only version of A7 that I've driven - on the banking at Brooklands...

Now if only there was also a Riley 9 too.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Didn't realise about the mirroring - seems odd, unless required to make everything fit for LHD?

Were the Ulster Reps actually listed under that description by Austin or just called that by the press at the time?  It's a very strange use of the description tourer for that bodystyle - although not as bad as the current usage by some car companies...

Yes, it was to fit everything for LHD. Its very tight under the A7 bonnet.

The Heller/Revell Dixie is actually a later incarnation. The first Dixi built cars were just like Chummys. Thats what I have two East German kits of

The Ulster Reps were in the Austin catalogue as 'two-seat Tourers'. Like Chevrolet later and their Z28 option you could get the Tourer built to your specs. Allegedly no two 'Ulsters' came out of the factory the same

58 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Isn't the SE Finecast one a Chummy?  I must admit that would be tempting, as that's the only version of A7 that I've driven - on the banking at Brooklands...

Now if only there was also a Riley 9 too.

SE does the Chummy and Ulster in 1/43,  see my previous post about accidently buying (another) one

They also do a Riley Imp

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Car Kits/1 43 Scale Car Kits Page 1.htm

• Like 1

Do you have a link to any of those?  All the Austin ads / catalogue pages that I can find call it a 'Sports Model' and the only 7s described as two seater tourers are a completely different version, which is much more in line with the usage of that term at that time.

(Apologies for being a bit autistic - Austin's use of the description tourer in this context is really bugging me!)

For some reason, I thought that the Chummy kit was 1:24.  I've several of their 1:43 Riley kits (one will be an Imp, another an MPH) & also several other prebuilt 1:43 Riley models but I really want some in 1:24.  As and when I have time to CAD model some, I might have to make use of the 3D printer at work...

9 hours ago, Paul H said:

If stockpiling Aoshima MGBs, IMHO the one to get is the rubber bumper kit, as it has all the parts for the chrome bumper one, but also comes with Rostyle wheels (only the new release - not the older ones), and also the full range of weather equipment options (can't remember off the top of my head, but think it's the half tonneau cover part that is on the same sprue as the rubber bumpers).

The C1 GT transkit that I bought a while back is probably going to be a V8 - I already have a roadster that is light blue and I suspect that one of the several others will be a rubber bumper roadster (I have quite a few of the Airfix boxings that I bought cheaply as they make excellent donors for AirTrax's Volvo kits.

I've got the rubber bumper and rally versions of the MGB.  You're correct that the half tonneau cover comes with the sprue for the impact bumpers.  The rally MGB comes with a set of Minilite wheels and an extra clear sprue that incorporates the lenses for a set of spotlamps and a hard-top.  It looks like all MGB kits come with a representation of the raised convertible hood, moulded as part of the main clear sprue.

• Like 2

I'm guessing that the rally kit is just the chrome bumper one with the additional rally bits, rather than missing anything that's usually in the chrome bumper kit?

I'm still debating whether it's worth getting the rally one just for that clear sprue.  I have no interest in building a rally car, but want a hardtop to complete the weather equipment options!

2 minutes ago, Paul H said:

I'm guessing that the rally kit is just the chrome bumper one with the additional rally bits, rather than missing anything that's usually in the chrome bumper kit?

I'm still debating whether it's worth getting the rally one just for that clear sprue.  I have no interest in building a rally car, but want a hardtop to complete the weather equipment options!

I've not seen a basic, chrome bumper MGB kit, but it looks like it's that kit with extras.  Funnily enough my motivation for getting the kit was the same.  Although I kind of fancy doing a replica of the racing MGBs I've seen at the Oulton Park Gold Cup.  So I can see myself buying more MGB kits, so I can have a roadster,, GT (probably V8), CGT Sebring and a racing MGB roadster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul H said:

If you look on the Hobby Search website in Japan,  they have scans of the full instruction sheets for all three of the Aoshima kits . At the end of each set is a sprue map for that kit so it should be easy enough to check exactly what each kit contains. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, johnlambert said:

I've not seen a basic, chrome bumper MGB kit, but it looks like it's that kit with extras.  Funnily enough my motivation for getting the kit was the same.  Although I kind of fancy doing a replica of the racing MGBs I've seen at the Oulton Park Gold Cup.  So I can see myself buying more MGB kits, so I can have a roadster,, GT (probably V8), CGT Sebring and a racing MGB roadster.

Hi John,  Aoshima once also offered a racing version of the MG B.  With a little luck this version will be re-issued...

Marco F 

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2021 at 3:22 AM, johnlambert said:

I treated myself yesterday.

y4mK0GHA4UlqozSRVqHRxiBv6yCPaA17RbIU0TwZ

Technically it doesn't break my rule about not buying any more kits, because it is to convert one of my existing Aoshima MGBs.  I ordered it with a set of resin V8 alloys, so at some point I hope I'll have a half-convincing MGB GT V8 on my shelf.

I have one of those and an Aoshima MGB, which will become a model of my late lamented 1968 Pale Primrose US-spec MGB-GT. But I would like to replace the Aoshima whesls with some better representation of the chrome wire wheels on my car. Any suggestions?

Just been out and bought an Airfix 1/32scale VW beetle gift set edition. Got a bit of a discount as it has been  in the window for months now and box top is rather faded . I plan to finish it as the one I used to have....which was a bit of a heap with brakes thar would bind and no heating inside so at winter time  it would have  frost on the inside!!!!!!  The colour was a pale bluey grey and Humbrol used to do a colour which was  very close and described as light  admiralty  grey. I think I have got a tin of it if not will need to think about it.

• Like 5

On 14/12/2021 at 15:55, cmatthewbacon said:

Well, technically, I haven't bought it, my mother in law has, and I won't see it again for a week and a bit 

Were you allowed to peek inside the box? If so what were your first impressions? Andy

On 08/12/2021 at 22:44, Black Knight said:

I just 'won' on ebay a 1/43 South Eastern Finecast Austin 7 Ulster white metal kit

The A7 U arrived the other day.

Now I have two of them.

The kits come with photo-etch spokes and cast metal rims for the wheels but I bought two sets of cast metal 16 inch wire wheels for these.

A seller on ebay sells lots of different styles of 1/43 replacement wheels

• Like 2

After being on back-order for months, these Renaissance brake cooling ducts arrived

spacer.png

They do look suspiciously like metric threads cast in rubber 😂 

Still waiting on a big order of mostly out of stock detailing parts from spot model before I can get started with a couple of Le Mans cars.

Happy holidays everyone,

Jered

• Like 2

This arrived a few days ago:

y4m6Mj74Kq-1va_OTbBSVRplUvKsT-l3F_M4iKUu

I built one of these a long time ago. Long gone. Wanted to have another go to see if I could make a better job of it.

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 8

These two just appeared:

420-n-Buggy.jpg

Opalescent Maroon for the 420, I think, and I'll either do the Thomas Crown buggy (which needs some mods) or find a really good nail varnish shade for an OOB build. Looking forward to the figures in both, and I have some extras to keep the driver company for the Jag...

best,

M.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

My wife bought me the Tamiya Porsche 911 GT1 kit for Christmas. Now I need to track down a set of Studio 27 Blue Coral decals for it. Looks like they might be unubtanium.

Ben

Looking forwards to seeing that build if and when you find the decals!