What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Look forward to watching the build Gary, although I can't say I'm overly fond of current WRC's !

Keith

Looking at the instructions sheet it's going to be a struggle , but I'll get there . 

Gary . 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 2:11 PM, Windy37 said:

Looking at the instructions sheet it's going to be a struggle , but I'll get there . 

Gary . 

Because of a tricky kit or crap instructions?

Looking forward to it anyhow.

Latest addition to the stash.

y4mMxPP3o4zbEm219wo508hwnDJ8emiAoHXrIysX

A friend had a 760 turbodiesel saloon about twenty years ago and I borrowed it a few times, that car was dark metallic grey with a terracotta interior, which I might replicate when I build this.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

Latest addition to the stash.

y4mMxPP3o4zbEm219wo508hwnDJ8emiAoHXrIysX

A friend had a 760 turbodiesel saloon about twenty years ago and I borrowed it a few times, that car was dark metallic grey with a terracotta interior, which I might replicate when I build this.

Great every stash needs at least one. :) 

• Haha 1

I couldn't resist that Volvo kit either.  Still haven't decided whether to build it as it is, or convert it to an estate.  I do have fond memories of the £100 760 that a friend had at uni, & which I regularly had to jump start with my Morris Minor...

On 23/09/2021 at 22:45, johnlambert said:

A couple more purchases.

y4mFmzAt2PxoUgPhi6upW0PnUvULvCuDVfiLJqx8

In one a recent Revell Jaguar E-type build or RFI thread someone mentioned that this kit was a fairly decent representation of a 4.2-litre Series 1 Jaguar E-type.  As it happened, this kit then showed up on Ebay for a fairly sensible price (although sadly not the £10.35 on the price sticker).  Now I've got the Heller kit to represent the flat-floor E-type, the Revell to represent the later 3.8 car and this for a 4.2, which covers the evolution of the Series 1 E-type.  It will also ne interesting to see how the different kits compare.

y4mNySLnzFg7MN-QFge0VRXaO8EIfyZStAXlSFTj

I bought this a few weeks ago.  The ZG is not my favourite 240Z variant but it still looks like a nice kit and you can see how it's been tooled to permit other versions and I hope that by buying the first release it will encourage Tamiya to bring out thos other variants sooner rather than later.

y4mC0JtVdHeBipK6l7WCChjjnMr7j1w34C8antJb

Finally, I've bought a few sets of these wire wheels and resin tyres from Moto Bitz, although given the kits I've bought recently I may need a couple more sets.

Although a curbside, the Gunze kit is pretty accurate - prior to the Revell, my plan was to combine one with a Heller to make a really nice full detail model.  As far as I know, the only real issue is the profile of the rear wheelarches needs tweaking, but that's relatively easy - headlamp bezels are just decals, but the cover shape is correct (the full detail Gunze OTS has PE for the bezels).  Whilst Revell's FHC isn't great due to the roof issues, the OTS looks pretty good & based on built pics I've seen, is easily a match for the Gunze.  This does make me wonder whether Revell's main reference was just an OTS, and that the FHC model was then created from that data?

Tamiya's 240ZG does indeed look amazing, and I also hope that there will be other versions.  I'd love a regular Z, preferably with a set of Wolfraces...

Are the wires for the E Type?  If so, I'd love to see some pics to compare them to the kit wheels & tyres, to see how the size & proportions compare.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Paul H said:

I couldn't resist that Volvo kit either.  Still haven't decided whether to build it as it is, or convert it to an estate.  I do have fond memories of the £100 760 that a friend had at uni, & which I regularly had to jump start with my Morris Minor...

Although a curbside, the Gunze kit is pretty accurate - prior to the Revell, my plan was to combine one with a Heller to make a really nice full detail model.  As far as I know, the only real issue is the profile of the rear wheelarches needs tweaking, but that's relatively easy - headlamp bezels are just decals, but the cover shape is correct (the full detail Gunze OTS has PE for the bezels).  Whilst Revell's FHC isn't great due to the roof issues, the OTS looks pretty good & based on built pics I've seen, is easily a match for the Gunze.  This does make me wonder whether Revell's main reference was just an OTS, and that the FHC model was then created from that data?

Tamiya's 240ZG does indeed look amazing, and I also hope that there will be other versions.  I'd love a regular Z, preferably with a set of Wolfraces...

Are the wires for the E Type?  If so, I'd love to see some pics to compare them to the kit wheels & tyres, to see how the size & proportions compare.

Thanks for the info on the Gunze kit, it looks pretty good for what it is.  I must admit I can see where you're coming from with your comments on the Revell E-type FHC, an odd approach if that's what happened as E-types aren't exactly difficult to find.

The 240Z on Wolfrace wheels, yes indeed!

The wires were for my Revell E-types and an Airfix (or something) Aston Martin DB5, Since I have now bought more kits that might use those wheels I may end up buying more sets.  If I get the chance I'll see about some comparison photos, unless someone else has already done that?

• Like 1

On it's way from the USA my Christmas present in shipping..

photo-th.jpg

Jimmy Flintstone 1954 Metro Van.

16.10.21 It arrived today, bigger than I thought at about 8-9 inches long and in very good detailed condition

• Like 6

I'm now the proud owner of a couple of Protar bike kits from the Golden Era, 

IMG_20211006_134919

I haven't done any bikes in this scale and I quite fancy giving these a go. 

I'm wondering about the boxing of the Gilera. As you can see the box is smaller than the Guzzi, the art work isn't listed on the Scalemates history, and there's a UK price sticker attached at 30/- which is predecimal 30 shillings. This would put it before the "new tool" date given by Scalemates by some years. 

IMG_20211006_134935

The instructions are in a broadsheet style and will require some thoughtful study and decoding ..... 

IMG_20211006_135012

Anybody know the deep history of Protar bike kits?? 

It's becoming obvious that they were the top of the range collector's kits of the time with an extensive range of bikes and a strong Italian tendency, which is understandable. 

I've noticed that the Guzzi kit includes a decal sheet which looks like it is a rub-on type like letraset, (if you remember). Anyone ever used such a thing? 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

I've noticed that the Guzzi kit includes a decal sheet which looks like it is a rub-on type like letraset, (if you remember). Anyone ever used such a thing? 

I have used Archer's dry transfers (https://www.archertransfers.com/) which are actually easier to work with than I expected. Is that what you mean?

There are some youtube how-to video's:

• Thanks 2

I guess that is the same type, but my kit ones are going to be ancient. Don't know if that poses a problem, degeneration over time 

Later....... Actually not as ancient. This Guzzi kit is a reissue dated 2000.

Pleased to see that the Sammy Miller Museum has the bike. I've just been watching some videos and Sammy himself talking about it and taking it for a demo run. 

I need to make my way over there for a look some time 

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition

6 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I do remember the letteraset, we used them at university although I think we were pretty much last of the line as things were changing to CAD at the time.

In terms of using, they're quite similar to the stick-on metal transfers you get in a number of Tamiya kits. Basically, lay them down on the surface you want to apply them to and rub over them with a hard surface - we used the top end of a pen but a cocktail stick is equally appropriate if using a smaller scale like you do for models. Once the dry-transfer has stuck to the surface you should see it go lighter on the backing paper as it detaches - make sure the whole thing has gone light as they do tear easily. And, as my friend found, don't rest your arm on the sheet or you'll find all your dry transfers have transferred to the desk!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I need to stop buying and get on with building but this was another kit I've wanted for a while.

y4mCnEUFOw1oxC8OgRTsiDWA5a3Ks2he-CP8jCCR

The vision for this (at the moment) is to go for the 1973-style grille and Rostyle wheels.  I'm not sure what colour yet, but there's plenty of time to decide.

• Like 6

Pre-ordered this wonderful subject new kit from HobbyLinkJapan (hlj.com) last month and just got a notice that it’s in stock and ready to ship! 
spacer.png

I’ve ordered items from HLJ a few times in the past and shipping was costly/ took some time but the price I paid for the kit ($44 USD) is a deal IMO for any Ebbro I/20 F1 kit so 🤞 it arrives before the end of the year.  I’ve been afraid to build my Ebbro Lotus 49 kit due to its rarity but with this 33 on the way I’m thinking “build away”. I’m hoping Ebbro eventually re-pop’s some of their earlier releases (Lotus 49, Lotus 72c). I’ll post runner and decals pics when the kit arrives if anyone’s interested.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, johnlambert said:

I need to stop buying and get on with building but this was another kit I've wanted for a while.

So the brown thing tempted you :)

What I found (and was very pleased to see) was that Halfords still have many of the original colours available in their range, many being listed as Rover but still on the shelf in the shop without you having to colour match the code.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Spiny said:

So the brown thing tempted you :)

I guess it must have ;)

6 minutes ago, Spiny said:

What I found (and was very pleased to see) was that Halfords still have many of the original colours available in their range, many being listed as Rover but still on the shelf in the shop without you having to colour match the code.

That's handy, at the moment I think there's a sort of orange that would be just right for this build, although I also have a soft spot for Damask red.  

When I got back into modelling a few years ago, this was the first car I built. Spotting a bargain on ebay I thought I'd get one to give it another bash now I have a few more skills that I have picked up :) I was going to strip and rebuild the one I first did, but this was too cheap to say no, anyway, you can't have too many Colin McCrae cars :) 

20211011_180538_resized

• Like 9