What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

Grabbed one of these F2 Brabham’s on EvilBay before the price goes nuts. Paid $59.99 USD + free shipping minus $5 eBay discount for direct credit card payment = $55 USD which is pretty reasonable these days for any 1/20 Ebbro F1 kit. I’m not in love with this particular car but have been intrigued by the builds I’ve seen posted, particular with the body panels off. It’s the first kit I’ve seen with actual individual injection molded coil springs.

spacer.png

I first learned of Ebbro’s 1/20 F1 kits at an IPMS show I attended in 2013 where I picked up the Lotus 49 and Lotus 72C kits for $40/ ea……If I only knew then where the prices would go I would have grabbed an extra 49! Another reminder that if you see it, want it and have the $, get it!

• Like 7

Factory sealed '65 Grand Prix!  I find it hard to resist rebuying the kits I had when I was younger.  I built one of these when it came out (the Prestige boxing, not the original) but didn't do a good job.  I'm not leaving this one in the stash, I think a simple OOB build will be my next project.

65GP01-vi.jpg

• Like 6

Group build candidate. I already had a AMT '67 Mustang earmarked for that, but any excuse...  😳   This thing needs as much corrective surgery as their '70 Cuda, so if that becomes an obstacle, the '67 might end up taking its place.

69Boss01-vi.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Six97s said:

Group build candidate. I already had a AMT '67 Mustang earmarked for that, but any excuse...  😳   This thing needs as much corrective surgery as their '70 Cuda, so if that becomes an obstacle, the '67 might end up taking its place.

69Boss01-vi.jpg

That's a very nice looking Mustang especially in that colour scheme a great choice imo 👌 👍 

• Like 2

I'm going to build it as a Boss 429 - the inner wings already have the spaced-out shock towers carried over from the original Monogram Boss 429 version, which aren't correct for a Boss 302 or any other production Mustang.   The Boss 302 stripes in the kit are the wrong shape anyway, so now I've discovered that, I can't overlook it.  😑

Mustang_overlay2-vi.jpg

Aside from that, the body needs a fair bit of work, because OOB it looks rather dumpy and foreshortened compared with the real thing:

• Wheel arches are the wrong shape
  • Sill to belt line area through the doors is too tall and wedge shaped
  • Rear quarter windows are the wrong shape
  • Grill and headlamps, while better than the previous CJ428 Mach 1 release, still aren't right
  • The interior is unchanged from the '69 Shelby GT500, so it has the roll bar mounts behind the seats and Shelby snake badges on the door panels.  At least they provide some faux woodgrain decals with Mustang badging for the door panels.

That said, I've seen box stock builds that look nice. I built the '70 Boss 429 and the '69 Shelby in the '80s and I was happy with those at the time, but I think there's  room for improvement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am happy my untrained eyes don't see all the inaccuracies people point out with kits. :) Unfortunately that is not the case with Revell's new E-Type though.

Edited by dbostream
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Six97s said:

69Boss01-vi.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on the Mustang group build. I might have to join in. 👍

• Like 3

Ok so I didn't technically buy it but I got it for my birthday yesterday.spacer.png

And not a model but car related so please let me off, another birthday present

spacer.png

Add to that the natural light led lamp that I asked for for modelling that means that for once my wife actually listened to me and got things off my list! 😄. Normally I get a "your list is boring" comment. I do remind her it's for me and not her but that doesn't always work..🙄

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

Yes I know but I've quit smoking and have a few extra sheckles in my pocket....or should I say I did have a few extra sheckles in my pocket 🤔. Any road up I'm free of the weed and thought a little celebration shopping was in order 😉 👍

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Much more healthy imo 🙂👍

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

spacer.png

This is what I meant about AMT confusing things.... the Olds was released by MPC in the '80s, before they and AMT were acquired by ERTL.   Now Round 2 has reissued it as an AMT kit, with box art in the same style as the 1969 annual releases.  🤦‍♂️  Nice kit anyway.

The Shelby is a really old one - most of it dates back to the 1967/68 annual kits, but the body was reworked into the Shelby version in the late '70s.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Hmm, two Mustangs, so that's two weeks of the Mustang group build sorted for you. What do you have planned for the other 11 weeks?

Another 11 Mustangs maybe 🤔👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like the look of that 62 Impala Andy - can you do me a favour when you get it and take a pic of the wheel options in the kit?

Ta

K

PS - well done for giving up smoking.... :thumbsup:

Edit - don't worry about the pic of the wheels, just found a pic on ebay.

10 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

I have to look for a Mustang kit for the group build. As a car kit novice which ones should I completely avoid and which ones are good, or good enough? 

No idea about newer Mustangs or kits thereof, but for the classic ones:

Revell/Monogram '65 Mustang, '65 Shelby GT350, '66 Shelby GT350H - reasonably accurate and fits together well, but sits a little high

AMT '65 Mustang - based on the 1965 annual kit, so the body is OK, but chassis and running gear simplified.

AMT '67 Mustang GT and Shelby GT350 - recent tooling, so more detailed.   Engine is decent.  Rear axle is woefully undersized.

AMT '68 Shelby GT500 - based on the 1967/68 annuals, so similar detail and fit to the  AMT '65, engine bay and inner wings are also totally wrong.  Not related to the currently available '67 above.

R/M '68 Mustang GT - originally tooled as a diecast, so fairly simple, but looks OK

R/M '69 Boss 302 - easy build but body isn't great.

R/M '69 Shelby GT500 - as above

R/M '69 Mach 1 - avoid, the whole front end is way off.

R/M '70 Boss 429 and Boss 302 - basis of the above '69 kits.  Body isn't that accurate, but easy to build and parts fit better than the older AMT and MPC kits.

AMT/MPC '69 Mustang - most recent AMT issues are repops of the old MPC '69, not the original AMT annual which was only issued in 1969.   Slightly underscale and simplified.   Body is still better than the R/M '69 but the grille is hopeless.

AMT/MPC '71 Mach 1 Mustang - IIRC this is the old MPC kit, which ended up as the '73 annual, then was sort of backdated to a '71 for later reissues.  OK but not great. Engine is wrong, being an FE bigblock (last used in 1970), front bumper is still the larger '73 one.  Might be underscaled like the MPC '69?   Out now as the Diamonds are Forever kit.

AMT '73 Mustang - issued as Macho Mustang, Warren Tope racer and others I've forgotten about.  Derived from the old annual tooling, so same comments about the engine bay.  Also has an incorrect FE engine.   No stock interior, can only be built as road racing version.

Corrections welcome...  I've probably forgotten some, and I've deliberately left out the one-year only and long discontinued kits.   If you want something relatively stress free, the R/M '65-'66 kits are probably the best option.

• Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Big thanks @Six97s👍👍

65/66 sounds perfect to me. That's the sort of era I would like.

Glad to see you're being sensible and just buying the one kit I can think of some people who would buy half a dozen just for the hell of it 😉👍

• Haha 2

Just now, Stef N. said:

Well I'm going for a shop tomorrow so I might come back with another stash load. 😉

That's my boy....fill yer boots....full report tomorrow please 🙂😉👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1