What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

One more kit to join the stash.

y4mxwMqEVEFrmDiwF9gdVg-xwDp74YvSjRjGza4q

Scruffy box for a classic Tamiya kit.

y4md20UABkBGiPRkgmUK8f0vgweShaMeh9TNyqbD

But inside it looks like new with everything still sealed in their bags.

I already have a version of this kit but it was badly painted and the paint seems to have damaged the plastic so I can't get a decent surface finish.  This might offer a less frustrating route to a decent finished model.  I've also ordered a set of resin Mercedes alloys as I don't like the kit wheels.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

Very nice Benz, I have a SEC from Revell in my stash.

what kind of rims did you order? Because I also want to change the rims.

scaleproduction got 17‘ Barockwheels on their website 

Marco F

Hi Marco, it would be these which are known as "Mexican Hat" alloys.  I did think about getting some AMG-style wheels but preferred a more standard appearance.  I'd have liked some later-style smooth-faced Mercedes alloys but I couldn't find anything that fitted the bill.

y4mLGPG3PyBw6WaIzOtA9ZdMlyX4Muf2ozohzwvf

The alloys fitted to this car would be perfect but it's a slightly later car.  This particular car was owned by Nigel Mansell, then Brian Sewell and then (at least in 2011) by Mercedes-Benz UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnlambert said:

One more kit to join the stash.

y4mxwMqEVEFrmDiwF9gdVg-xwDp74YvSjRjGza4q

Scruffy box for a classic Tamiya kit.

y4md20UABkBGiPRkgmUK8f0vgweShaMeh9TNyqbD

But inside it looks like new with everything still sealed in their bags.

I already have a version of this kit but it was badly painted and the paint seems to have damaged the plastic so I can't get a decent surface finish.  This might offer a less frustrating route to a decent finished model.  I've also ordered a set of resin Mercedes alloys as I don't like the kit wheels.

Looks like a very nice kit. But sometimes I wonder what people do to the boxes.

2 minutes ago, dbostream said:

Looks like a very nice kit. But sometimes I wonder what people do to the boxes.

I know what you mean.  Still, the box has done its job and protected the contents.

My other version of this kit has a much better box, not perfect but presentable.

y4m6Lt9LCHwK6PacSkpoM7yyKCWU9ZY5S-pH-2zo

It did cross my mind to swap the box lids and try to resell the good condition kit for a profit.  You see some of these old kits and people ask what I consider silly money.  No idea if anyone actually pays a hundred plus pounds for one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnlambert said:

y4mLGPG3PyBw6WaIzOtA9ZdMlyX4Muf2ozohzwvf

The alloys fitted to this car would be perfect but it's a slightly later car.  This particular car was owned by Nigel Mansell, then Brian Sewell and then (at least in 2011) by Mercedes-Benz UK.

These look just like the ones on an old Esci Mercedes 190 kit I'm currently building. I'm not sure if the size is right, but they certainly have the "Mexican hat" feature. Worth keeping an eye on Italeri reissues - you might be able to pick them up with a new kit and then swap the wheels.

8 minutes ago, Chimpion said:

These look just like the ones on an old Esci Mercedes 190 kit I'm currently building. I'm not sure if the size is right, but they certainly have the "Mexican hat" feature. Worth keeping an eye on Italeri reissues - you might be able to pick them up with a new kit and then swap the wheels.

The mounting for the ESCI wheels is wrong for the Tamiya hubs, at least if they're similar to the ones on the ESCI Mercedes 500SLC are any guide. But the resin wheels from eBay come with different ways to attach to the hubs.

I must admit a Revell Mercedes 560SEC would be nice but the wheels on that don't look quite right either.

I continue buy poor kits, I must confess that I was aware of what inside of the box. But I really wonder why French didn't have more national pride to produce better kit.

Engine is very basic and need lot of detailing to look good. And suspension looks horrible.

Maybe I build also renaissance-models transkit to get better model in my collection.

RXfuLge.jpg

• Like 3

Inspired by @Torbjörn Hanö's build of the Lanz Bulldog tractor, and by the fact that I'm currently building two tractors for two different GB's I got this kit from MiniArt

20210430154620-05412b6d-me.jpg

All good things come in threes so I guess I should start a build for it right away 🙂 

• Like 3

This will be my build in the Mustang STGB this summer. A guy living in the same corner of Finland had this on sale at a Finnish fb model swap group for 40€, last night I offered him 30€ and he accepted it. Today he dropped by my house and delivered it, but you know the Cobra R really is quick! The kit is all-Tamiya goodness and perhaps as little known gem as its prototype? My only concern lies in masking the louvered taillights and blackened window edges decently..

2021-04-30_01-16-30

Oh I updated this kits page at Scalemates by taking pics of the instructions, in case anyone is interested in learning more about the kit. V-P

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-24156-ford-mustang-cobra-r--129357

• Like 4

So I've decided to build this kit should be starting tomorrow hopefully 🙂👍

spacer.png

Now I just have to remember how to build a car kit 🤔😉👍

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Now I just have to remember how to build a car kit 🤔😉👍

So are you going to do a WIP or do you think a one day build is too short for that? :whistle:

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

So are you going to do a WIP or do you think a one day build is too short for that? :whistle:

Hi Jeroen hope you are well 🙂👍.I will start a WIP mate hopefully this weekend. As for a one day build 🤔 no chance I like to take my time as you well know 😉

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Well, welcome back into the light Andy! 

Three days then....!! 🤣

K

Thanks Keith just needed a bit of a change mate plus the garage temperatures are more suitable for painting car shell's now. Three days you say 🤔........so now I'm building two kit's then 😉👍

• Haha 2

Well I hope it's quicker than the 10+ years my Tamiya 350Z has taken! I've finally got a colour and clearcoat I'm happy with on it - was determined to finish it this week, just the last few small bits to fit and I was being extremely careful fitting the front indicators - & I somehow managed to put a small chip in the paint on the bonnet! Don't know how I did it and it's really tiny, but sticks out like a sore thumb! It's gone back in its box of shame!!

K

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Well I hope it's quicker than the 10+ years my Tamiya 350Z has taken! I've finally got a colour and clearcoat I'm happy with on it - was determined to finish it this week, just the last few small bits to fit and I was being extremely careful fitting the front indicators - & I somehow managed to put a small chip in the paint on the bonnet! Don't know how I did it and it's really tiny, but sticks out like a sore thumb! It's gone back in its box of shame!!

K

That's a shame Keith......you clumsy oaf 😂😂. The final stages of any build are fraught with danger mate gutted for ya.....maybe revisit in a couple of days when the frustration subsides 🤔

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Spot on there Andy! 

Yeh, it'll be back!

K

That's the spirit....onwards and upwards 👍......now where did I put my 2K clear 🤔 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

That's the spirit....onwards and upwards 👍......now where did I put my 2K clear 🤔 

Didn't you use it up on all those Tigers?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Tigers? I have no idea what you mean 🤔

Ha! 

Good to have you back Andy, if only for a short while 🙂 

• Like 1