What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

15 hours ago, Paul H said:

Is that just versions of the XK120 OTS itself, or are you including things such as conversion to DHC, FHC or even an XK140?  I've a few of these as well - at least one will definately be a spatted steel wheel & hubcaps build.  Whilst later Jag sportscars look ok on wires, I've always thought that the 120 looks best with the full rear spats.  Haven't decided exactly what to do with the others though, but one will probably be losing its wheels & hubcaps to an Air Trax Mk10.  However I might also have to convert a Tamiya Mk2 into a Mk1 with full rear spats to match the first 120 too...

Hi Paul,

I was just thinking of what's in the box where you have options for left or right-hand drive; spats or not; hood on or off; full screen or aeroscreens; I haven't bothered calculating all the possible combinations but it looks like a lot.  Then there's the possibility of doing the later-style 120 OTS with the sidelights faired into the wing tops (just needs a bit of cutting and filling).

A 120 OTS to DHC or FHC (especially FHC) would be interesting but a lot of work; I quite fancy the K&R Replicas XK120 FHC, which would probably be a better basis for a DHC conversion if anyone were inclined.

Converting to XK140 would be quite involved too, I think, if you ignore the under-body modifications (engine moved forward, rack and pinion steering) you've still got to raise the scuttle and I'm not sure what other body modifications you'd need.  I'm sure it can be done but not by me, at least not at this point in my modelling experience.

I do, however, fancy the idea of using some Tamiya wire wheels from the Mk.II on one of my 120s, so I can have one on steels and one on wires (I used to prefer 120s on wires but cars with spats have grown on me).  I think technically the 120s steel wheels would be wrong for a Mk.X as the 120 used 16-inch wheels and the Mk.X was the only jaguar to use 14-inch wheels.  Then again it's only a couple of mm so you might get away with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnlambert said:

Hi Paul,

I was just thinking of what's in the box where you have options for left or right-hand drive; spats or not; hood on or off; full screen or aeroscreens; I haven't bothered calculating all the possible combinations but it looks like a lot.  Then there's the possibility of doing the later-style 120 OTS with the sidelights faired into the wing tops (just needs a bit of cutting and filling).

A 120 OTS to DHC or FHC (especially FHC) would be interesting but a lot of work; I quite fancy the K&R Replicas XK120 FHC, which would probably be a better basis for a DHC conversion if anyone were inclined.

Converting to XK140 would be quite involved too, I think, if you ignore the under-body modifications (engine moved forward, rack and pinion steering) you've still got to raise the scuttle and I'm not sure what other body modifications you'd need.  I'm sure it can be done but not by me, at least not at this point in my modelling experience.

I do, however, fancy the idea of using some Tamiya wire wheels from the Mk.II on one of my 120s, so I can have one on steels and one on wires (I used to prefer 120s on wires but cars with spats have grown on me).  I think technically the 120s steel wheels would be wrong for a Mk.X as the 120 used 16-inch wheels and the Mk.X was the only jaguar to use 14-inch wheels.  Then again it's only a couple of mm so you might get away with it.

Hood up or down is usually easy - most of the time those parts just rest in place, so can be swapped over at whim.  Aoshima's MG B is a prime example, with the half tonneau, hood cover and hood up parts all being easily removed and switched.  I'd be surprised if the Revellogram XK120 is not the same.  However, were they ever offered with wires as a road car, or did that wait until the 140, and then become a popular retrofit mod?  I've only seen period photos of non racing ones (and even several of NUB120 - guess these are early pics) on steels.  A friend of my uncle has a black 120 on wires but everytime I see it, I think how much better it would look with the spats.  I know that the vast majority of Mk2s had steels when new, as was also the case with most MG & Triumph sports cars.  Having always had the job of cleaning the 18" wire wheels on the 1937 Riley my father had when I was a child, I have an intense dislike of them unless they were the only wheel fitment.  I can just about forgive the wires on my uncle's MGA as at least they are painted not chrome - did try to get him to paint them the interior colour without luck - did look very smart in the photoshopped image though (colour is Dove grey with oxblood interior).  Tamiya wires may be a bit big for the 120 - I have a recollection of not being happy with them when trial fitting.  Aoshima's MG ones may be ok, despite the real life size difference (the rubber bumper version of the MG also comes with ROstyle wheels but can still be built with chrome bumpers).  Happy to dig these out and take some photos if that's of any help?

Wasn't aware of that level of body mods on the 140 - thought it was more a visual update with the big bumpers (was thinking of modifying a set from a parts bin Tamiya Mk2), tweaked grille and bigger tail lights to modernise the appearance in line with their other products.

The plan with the Mk10 was to use the 120 hubcaps but since I have started using Molotow chrome pens, the supplied resin parts may be ok.  If so, one set may end up on my unbuilt Tamiya Mk2 instead.  The wheels themselves and tyres will be a case of what fits and looks right, even if not strictly faithful to scale.  That's all still a long way ahead though as I need to push my modelling & scratch building skills further to build it and my various other Air Trax kits to the standard that my OCD can accept*.  The aforementioned parts bin Mk2 and also a parts bin Heller E Type will probably be the main parts donors for the running gear & suspension, as well as various other detail parts.

*This is a particular issue with the Volvo Amazon estate kit, as I have owned a full size one for the last eighteen years (it was in the family for another eight years prior to that), so know exactly what everything should look like...

Edited by Paul H

So, this arrived today... a very impressive 6 days from HobbyEasy in Hong Kong into my hands:

big-box.jpg

What could be in this huge box that takes up my entire work bench?

gt40-box.jpg

And what could be in THIS huge box that takes up my entire work bench? These:

box-o-sprues.jpg

I might have to do the unboxing piecemeal... I don't think there's enough room for all the parts trees, etch, fabric, tubing etc on my bench...

best,

M.

• Like 9

The Shapeways items were here in 3 days from Holland!  Superb quality, The scooter and VW Motor in near clear translucent soft plastic and the Roof Rack in a tougher rougher finish grey plastic. Once washed in hot soapy water (as per instructions) acrylics paints need to be used and as they are all in one piece are interesting to paint!

The Ruckus scooter in undercoat, prior to matt black tyres and engine and a yellow body and part of the frame oh and gloss black on the footboard!

photo-th.jpg

Hi All,

Not bought at the same time, but bought from my favourite online retailer (Hiroboy)...

y4mDeNsm3d7hTDXKI9DIAmv4uKeXbi3nS3N_KVRN

y4md67qc3WX_1yt4zuM805hdXVpzl9uVWsxmy3PX

I had the Lotus a long time ago but I gave it to a Lotus owner friend. I used to own a 306 (Not quite like this one though!)

Looking forward to build both of these!

Cheers,

Alan.

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 4

No pics I'm afraid from my Christmas visit from Santa as Flickr just doesn't seem to want to play ball at the minute 🥵

But SWMBO got me 3 kits (surprisingly, as apparently I already have enough according to her 🤔)

Anyway, I got the Tamiya Mustang GT4 (great for the upcoming STGB), Tamiya Toyota Corolla WRC in Castrol colours and a Tamiya Nissan Skyline GT-R  V-spec2 R34 :) she must have had a little help from our eldest as the choices are rather good

I also got some of the excellent EBMA modular storage bits to try and keep my work area tidy 🤣 🤣

So all in all a happy bunny, just need some time to make a start modelling once I have built the storage units :) 

• Like 1

On 23/12/2020 at 16:33, cmatthewbacon said:

So, this arrived today... a very impressive 6 days from HobbyEasy in Hong Kong into my hands:

big-box.jpg

What could be in this huge box that takes up my entire work bench?

gt40-box.jpg

And what could be in THIS huge box that takes up my entire work bench? These:

box-o-sprues.jpg

I might have to do the unboxing piecemeal... I don't think there's enough room for all the parts trees, etch, fabric, tubing etc on my bench...

best,

M.

Looks superb, blimey 6 days even with Xmas and COVID. I am trying to order from spot mode but some of the places in Europe are restricted due to the brexit outcome. 

I've been buying too many 1:72 predominantly WW2 aircraft model kits recently & nothing to report on the car models front (although there is one that is supposed to be in the post).  However I spotted these in the central tat aisle of a certain supermarket yesterday when picking up some groceries on my way home from work:

y4mnE5s3IijgXLzklmXBlPkmfrLQFk-8sU1LIt51

As they were £9.99 each, I couldn't really resist (the Ford was the last one & only a few Corvette's were left - usually I'm not this lucky!), and as things turned out later on that evening, they will make excellent projects to help entertain my 8 year old twins during the new lockdown.

• Like 2

OK I didn't buy them but my family gave me these kits for Xmas 

a plastic fantastic Xmas... 

Tamiya BMW z3, Tamiya Yamaha srx-6,Revell 53'corvette, 59'corvette, Heller BMW 328, Heller 2cv in 1:43, Revell Dutch police beetle, Revell Dodge charger, Revell 57 Ford 

Somehow a lovely family... 😇

Marco F 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul H said:

As they were £9.99 each, I couldn't really resist (the Ford was the last one & only a few Corvette's were left - usually I'm not this lucky!), and as things turned out later on that evening, they will make excellent projects to help entertain my 8 year old twins during the new lockdown.

They scrub up pretty well:

with-vette.jpg

best,

M.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

I hope your kids like the models and will start to support our forum in the future 

Marco F 

Thank you!  I think they will, as they are currently working on some 1:72 Airfix starter sets, a Mustang IV and a Harrier Gr.1, which they are keen to finish.  Both those are much slower projects though, but they are doing a good job as well as learning patience, especially with the need to apply two well thinned brushed coats of acrylic for a decent paint finish.  Once lockdown is over, I also want to take them to the Tank Museum at Bovington, which means that the Academy Tiger 1 kit I have in my to build pile will no doubt be built with them to match the running one in the museum.

18 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

OK I didn't buy them but my family gave me these kits for Xmas 

a plastic fantastic Xmas... 

Tamiya BMW z3, Tamiya Yamaha srx-6,Revell 53'corvette, 59'corvette, Heller BMW 328, Heller 2cv in 1:43, Revell Dutch police beetle, Revell Dodge charger, Revell 57 Ford 

Somehow a lovely family... 😇

Marco F 

I'd seen that Heller had re-released their 328 (I do like Heller's classic car kits and need to get around to building more of them) - it will make an interesting companion to the Z3.  

Edited by Paul H

16 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

They scrub up pretty well:

with-vette.jpg

best,

M.

They do indeed!  I don't think we'll go that far, but suspect some detail painting & suitable sharpie work may happen...

Just received an email from a large Airfix supplier, many new kits based on longstanding ones, thought I'd better order one. In 1/32nd of course.

photo-th.jpg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, PatW said:

Just received an email from a large Airfix supplier, many new kits based on longstanding ones, thought I'd better order one. In 1/32nd of course.

photo-th.jpg

Yes , I will be having one of them as well , together with the Jaguar 420 . Never thought I'd see either of these reissued, so I'm utterly delighted . I hope sales are sufficient to encourage them to reissue some more of the old car kits .

On 07/01/2021 at 15:50, Paul H said:

Been after one of these for a while now, and bought this the other week - it finally arrived this morning:

y4mXyEVtJCwLwJ6e3USHOw4ByQwJPI46D9RZ3DyR

That looks a lovely kit . Never even knew it existed, but now I want one .