What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

11 hours ago, johnlambert said:

A week or two back I received the weekly Hannants newsletter, which said that the Italeri Mercedes-Benz 450SLC 5.0 rally car was in stock.  I quite fancied the idea of adding a Mercedes SLC to my collection, but I'd prefer a road car rather than the rally version.  It happened that I was browsing eBay and the seller of the Tamiya Jaguar Mk.II had some other interesting kits for sale, including an Esci (never heard of Esci before) Mercedes-Benz 500SLC at a reasonable price with a couple of minutes to go and no bids.

y4mqnKl60R47FRrfpq-h0cnuXWd1j9hOh9qb8dCH

Upon investigation, it seems that this kit was introduced shortly after the real SLC and there was a rally version,   The current Italeri kit is basically the same, the rally car has different parts for the interior and body accessories.  The windscreen pillars are a bit thick, so I'll have to see if I can thin those down a bit, and I'm a bit worried about the condition of the decals.  Still, it's a nice kit to have and I might even have an original colour brochure with some of the paint options; I'm not keen on the yellow/gold of the box art and silver feels just a little predictable; I'll have to see what other colours were available.

Years ago I built the ESCI rally version of this Mercedes . I remember painting the chromework Tamiya chrome silver and it never looked right . Strange to see it re released . 

Gary.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Paul H said:

Based on Italeri's recent release history, this road version is likely to follow not too long after the rally one that they have just re-released.

Looks like you are right: https://www.italeri.com/uploads/news/dykyjNqToT7ryiEJlAHqoKgg9try9MkElWTl457e.pdf

• Thanks 1

On 25/10/2020 at 16:26, Paul H said:

I would be interested to know what this kit is like, as I've been unable to find any decent info.  Based on Italeri's recent release history, this road version is likely to follow not too long after the rally one that they have just re-released.

However, I'm undecided as to whether to keep it as an SLC, or shorten and chop the roof off to make it an SL...

I found a picture of a built rally SLC on this thread here, it doesn't look too bad so maybe there's no need for surgery on the windscreen.

General thread on Italeri 2020.

Just got the Peugeot 306 Maxi rally car delivered with the detail set :) 

Glad SWMBO was out when the courier arrived with it, it saves explaining why I needed another model kit to sit on the shelf in a box for months/years 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Redstaff said:

Just got the Peugeot 306 Maxi rally car delivered with the detail set :) 

Can I ask where you got it from, Hiroboy is still showing it as pre-order?

Keith

Cancel that, it's now showing in stock!

53 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Can I ask where you got it from, Hiroboy is still showing it as pre-order?

Keith

Cancel that, it's now showing in stock!

Hi Keith

I got mine from MJR off the Facebook group model kits for less, pre ordered it a couple of months ago and they got them end of last week😁

Looks a cracking kit  😁

Ian 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Looks a cracking kit 

I'm really trying my best to be good and not get one Ian, but fear I'll soon crack! Can I ask if the blue sections of the livery are on the decal sheet or do they have to be painted?

Keith

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I'm really trying my best to be good and not get one Ian, but fear I'll soon crack! Can I ask if the blue sections of the livery are on the decal sheet or do they have to be painted?

Keith

Hi Keith

Just had a look and they are decals if you don't fancy painting the blue, but it looks an easy masking job if you want to paint. 

You might as well get one, you know you'll fold anyway at some point 🤣

Ian 😁

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Redstaff said:

You might as well get one, you know you'll fold anyway at some point

Too true! Reason I asked about the blue sections was if (er, when!) I do get one I'd likely get the zero Paints to go with it - as they're on the decals I might not bother!

Thanks for the info

Keith

• Like 1

Did a deal with a guy on Facebook the other day for a 1/20 Tamiya Williams FW-07 , which arrived yesterday .  Very nice kit , still sealed in the bags . Decals look a bit ropey , but I have a set of Shunko decals which I bought with the intention of rebuilding the one I built in the mid 1980s . 

I also ordered the other day the new reissue of the Airfix Maserati Indy , which I planned on giving to a mate as a birthday present .  Sadly , I ordered it from Jadlam & they posted it in a plastic bag . Unsurprisingly , it arrived looking like it had been run over by a bus .  Can't give that as a present , so it's going back for replacement . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, rs2man said:

Sadly , I ordered it from Jadlam & they posted it in a plastic bag . Unsurprisingly , it arrived looking like it had been run over by a bus .  

Must have been the intern at work there... 

Who does that??

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

Must have been the intern at work there... 

Who does that??

I believe they do it quite often with smaller kits . It's not happened to me before but I know other people have had the same problem . I think it's inexcusable - if they can't afford to send kits out in a box, they need to put their prices up .

• Like 1

On 28/10/2020 at 16:10, Redstaff said:

You might as well get one, you know you'll fold anyway at some point 🤣

You were right Ian - just ordered the Pug, a detail set for it, some wheels for a planned future Lancer build and a polishing compound set to replace my almost finished tamiya ones, from Hiroboy! 

Keith

• Haha 1

On 10/28/2020 at 6:11 PM, dbostream said:

I caved and got this one that I have wanted for ages. I had forgotten how huge 1/8 cars are.

spacer.png

A superb kit. Probably the most detailed model car kit - ever.

There's TONS of scope to tweak it. My build is somewhere on the forum if it might be of any help.

Roy.

• Like 1

Another rather large one has landed here...

1/4 scale Ayrton Senna's Williams.

The pic shows the body - there's also a large box containing numerous masters to mould most of the remaining bits.

I also have the mould to create the body again if I need to.

I think it was a model made for Williams for wind tunnel testing.

Should be fun...

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 7

On EBay the other day I won a 1/16 scale AMT 57 Chevy Bel Air 2 door coupe . It's been fully built to a so-so standard so I intend to dismantle it , strip the paint and rebuild . I've wanted one for ages but they generally seemed to be staggeringly expensive , coming from the States with the attendant stratospheric shipping costs , or both . This cost me 20 quid plus postage , so I'm delighted with it .

• Like 3

On the Amazon item pages it normally says "Item arrives in packaging that reveals what's inside. To hide it, choose Ship in Amazon packaging at checkout."

Dave

• Like 1

7 hours ago, davecov said:

On the Amazon item pages it normally says "Item arrives in packaging that reveals what's inside. To hide it, choose Ship in Amazon packaging at checkout."

Dave

I must have missed that, but I'll certainly keep that in mind for future purchases.

As a postscript, the replacement, which was supposed to be sent in Amazon packaging, wasn't and arrived in worse condition than the first.  🙄

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 1