What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

1 hour ago, malpaso said:

Ahh, you beat me to it.  Did you win the same vendors racing version which went for the same price 4 minutes later?  It seemed an immaculate kit and had far less interest, which I didn't understand as it's the same kit plus racing bits and decals!

Sorry, I sometimes wonder if I'm bidding against a fellow forum member. 

I already have the racing Mk2, so I didn't bid on that one. 

From memory, the racing kit includes the twin SU carburettors. But I think there are some different sprues depending on whether it is the racing or road car. The grille is the most obvious difference to me. And you get a square of carpet with the road car. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

Sorry, I sometimes wonder if I'm bidding against a fellow forum member. 

Don't worry,  I had already exceeded the car kit budget for a good few months ahead so not winning three kits that weekend was a bonus!?! 😃

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

@Stef N. that's lovely.

I remember seeing one similar on Top Gear and was bowled over by it. (They weren't allowed to drive it because of the insurance 😀). Hopefully I can do it justice. At least there aren't hundreds of decals which defeated me before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

I remember seeing one similar on Top Gear and was bowled over by it. (They weren't allowed to drive it because of the insurance 😀). Hopefully I can do it justice. At least there aren't hundreds of decals which defeated me before.

How things change . I remember around 1980 , Nick Mason loaned his 250 GTO to Hot Car magazine and told them to drive it hard . He even had an adaptor plate made to fix the 5th wheel to the back panel so they could get proper performance figures . I seem to recall 0-60 in 5.9 seconds , which was strong performance back then and astounding for a 1962 3 litre .

• Like 2

On 19/10/2020 at 21:51, johnlambert said:

@Spiny that's the Mustang kit I'd like to get. (GT-H)

Go for it (so long as it doesn't get lost in all those other kits you've added to your stash ;) ). First impressions are that it looks a pretty nice kit with little flash - got it for £18 as the box was slightly squashed but everything inside is fine. Amazon still have a couple in the warehouse deals for under £20 so not a pricey kit either.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Spiny said:

Go for it (so long as it doesn't get lost in all those other kits you've added to your stash ;) ).

Amazon still have a couple in the warehouse deals for under £20 so not a pricey kit either.

Not sure what you're implying ;)

y4mYasGizf7sjL_oAVQNkmBvWTPUFvg-qGAuvDja

Amazon has one fewer kits now...  I feel a bit bad for not supporting a proper model shop, but I don't think there's another way I could have got it so cheaply or quickly.

I'm a little worried about doing gloss black paint but it's such an iconic colour scheme...

y4mPVbqNOtKdNkEKzPu1WkZwW8vyDYKr6Rl1sMYM

I saw this real one just over a year ago

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fnick said:

Nice looking car John. Looks familiar.😉😋. With or without stripes?

Nick

Despite my previously stated views on Mustangs with stripes, this one will have the gold stripes applied. But I would like the standard 1965 mustang kit, to build one in a plain colour. 

10 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Going to drill the holes in the floor John that were left after the hire customers removed the roll cages after the weekend's illicit racing.....?! :)

Good looking car!

Keith

Interesting idea. I could also build it with a stock 289 motor, where someone swapped out the Shelby engine. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 5:39 PM, Stef N. said:

Just ordered one of these beautiful cars. It will be my second car and hopefully it won't end up as landfill like the first one.

spacer.png

It's a fairly straightforward build if you take you time the fit is very good. Not kit wheels.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Glad to have helped you get hold of one, although it does sound as though we're going to be building brother cars in the Group Build

On 22/10/2020 at 20:46, johnlambert said:

Amazon has one fewer kits now...  I feel a bit bad for not supporting a proper model shop, but I don't think there's another way I could have got it so cheaply or quickly.

I know that's the way we're meant to feel, but my take on it is that I will spend as much again on tools, paint, glue etc. which does come from dedicated sites so money will be going to people who care about the hobby in the end. Although as this one will be finished in Halfords paint this is probably a bad example :doh:

• Haha 1

That looks great @colin. The red paint job is gorgeous.👍 I may struggle with the edging around the windows but I'll give it a good go. What was the engine like?

It was a kit I'd had on a watchlist for a long time and when it turned up unexpectedly I had to get it, even though my stash should see me through most of next year as it is.😳😀

11 hours ago, Stef N. said:

That looks great @colin. The red paint job is gorgeous.👍 I may struggle with the edging around the windows but I'll give it a good go. What was the engine like?

It was a kit I'd had on a watchlist for a long time and when it turned up unexpectedly I had to get it, even though my stash should see me through most of next year as it is.😳😀

The engine is detailed enough for me oob, if I was to do another I'd probably use bare metal foil for the windows, not paint

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m new to car kits I dabbled a few times unsuccessfully but I’m trying again,

All 1/24

Fujimi Mitsubishi Evolution Lancer IX

Aoshima Mitsubishi Evolution Lancer X Final Edition 

Revell McLaren 570s

Tamiya Ferrari FXX

Tamiya Ford GT

Fujimi Lamborghini Veneno

Italeri Ford Transit Police

I had been looking for the Lamborghini for a long time and found it on Kingkit for £49.99 I am glad I finally got it I am just unsure if it’s worth that price tag to be honest.

IMG_2261 IMG_2262

• Like 4

A week or two back I received the weekly Hannants newsletter, which said that the Italeri Mercedes-Benz 450SLC 5.0 rally car was in stock.  I quite fancied the idea of adding a Mercedes SLC to my collection, but I'd prefer a road car rather than the rally version.  It happened that I was browsing eBay and the seller of the Tamiya Jaguar Mk.II had some other interesting kits for sale, including an Esci (never heard of Esci before) Mercedes-Benz 500SLC at a reasonable price with a couple of minutes to go and no bids.

y4mqnKl60R47FRrfpq-h0cnuXWd1j9hOh9qb8dCH

Upon investigation, it seems that this kit was introduced shortly after the real SLC and there was a rally version,   The current Italeri kit is basically the same, the rally car has different parts for the interior and body accessories.  The windscreen pillars are a bit thick, so I'll have to see if I can thin those down a bit, and I'm a bit worried about the condition of the decals.  Still, it's a nice kit to have and I might even have an original colour brochure with some of the paint options; I'm not keen on the yellow/gold of the box art and silver feels just a little predictable; I'll have to see what other colours were available.

• Like 4

I just bought 3 kits 2nd hand from the Baby.
Revell Porsche Carrera GTS

Gunze Triumph TR2 and Gunze Austin Healey Sprite for a fantastic price 

and I also bought the Aoshima MG B

Wonderful weekend

Marco F

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marco F. said:

I just bought 3 kits 2nd hand from the Baby.
Revell Porsche Carrera GTS

Gunze Triumph TR2 and Gunze Austin Healey Sprite for a fantastic price 

and I also bought the Aoshima MG B

Wonderful weekend

Marco F

I think I was watching the auction for the Sprite. Didn't realise there was a TR2 kit for sale. 

8 hours ago, johnlambert said:

A week or two back I received the weekly Hannants newsletter, which said that the Italeri Mercedes-Benz 450SLC 5.0 rally car was in stock.  I quite fancied the idea of adding a Mercedes SLC to my collection, but I'd prefer a road car rather than the rally version.  It happened that I was browsing eBay and the seller of the Tamiya Jaguar Mk.II had some other interesting kits for sale, including an Esci (never heard of Esci before) Mercedes-Benz 500SLC at a reasonable price with a couple of minutes to go and no bids.

y4mqnKl60R47FRrfpq-h0cnuXWd1j9hOh9qb8dCH

Upon investigation, it seems that this kit was introduced shortly after the real SLC and there was a rally version,   The current Italeri kit is basically the same, the rally car has different parts for the interior and body accessories.  The windscreen pillars are a bit thick, so I'll have to see if I can thin those down a bit, and I'm a bit worried about the condition of the decals.  Still, it's a nice kit to have and I might even have an original colour brochure with some of the paint options; I'm not keen on the yellow/gold of the box art and silver feels just a little predictable; I'll have to see what other colours were available.

I would be interested to know what this kit is like, as I've been unable to find any decent info.  Based on Italeri's recent release history, this road version is likely to follow not too long after the rally one that they have just re-released.

However, I'm undecided as to whether to keep it as an SLC, or shorten and chop the roof off to make it an SL...

2 hours ago, Paul H said:

I would be interested to know what this kit is like, as I've been unable to find any decent info.  Based on Italeri's recent release history, this road version is likely to follow not too long after the rally one that they have just re-released.

However, I'm undecided as to whether to keep it as an SLC, or shorten and chop the roof off to make it an SL...

Here are a few photos of what's in the box.  Overall the body looks like it's the right shape and generally cleanly moulded with only small mould lines in fairly sensible places.

The kit is reasonably well detailed with engine, suspension and interior.

y4mONporPAQKE6irJhXFZS7pLtbSY3JKnKWhkBFy

Overall view of the body, Turning the SLC into and SL (the reverse of what Mercedes did) should be possible if you're handy with a saw and filler.

y4mR304E5qrG7cMqTHFLoyuqnilcolLtY7k1F3Qf

It's hard to see clearly but I think the windscreen pillar, or the trim around the screen is too thick.  The side trim should meet the windscreen trim on the corner of the A-pillar.  You can also see a big bit of plastic that flowed around one of the mould release pins inside the roof.

y4muAL4FKgC3zsviMQZc3Nb1O902wXtXFPSx5UdQ

Underside is a bit basic, but will probably look OK once the engine and suspension is added.

y4mTneBiYHgUdFg54EUPLcu6Y--l1aklxbBKN8-D

I've not taken the other bits out of the bag yet, but they look pretty decent, there's also some clear parts for the windows and lights, plus four rubber-ish tyres.  No plated parts, which may be a blessing given that most of us seem to strip off factory applied plating for any brightwork.

y4mICcI5pGwRLzZ8Vd7CwaHUZ8FCqgrBcS-3mkUi

Part of the instructions, looks fairly clear; colour call outs on this version are for Humbrol enamels.

y4mTlyrwK_fR2i-AFuYrwGvY6btGIzfuginfuwjQ

Another bit of the instructions.  There aren't that many steps and I'm sure there's some extra detail that could go into the engine bay.

I hope I don't ruin the kit by trying to correct the windscreen opening; apart from that, I'd say it looks like a fairly decent kit especially for its age.

• Thanks 2