What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

I bought a couple of nice simple kits to ease myself back in after 30+ years away. Just to try and get the hang of filling and painting again.

50287774336_4d1bcdc409.jpg

I've since read up a bit about the UAZ-3909 and fallen in love with it, so I'm going to have to make more of an effort than I'd planned to not mess it up. Has anyone done one? It looks like it practically builds itself.

Edited by exidor
  • Like 3

Used to own a mark IV prelude.

spacer.png

So when these came up could not resist!😀

spacer.png

The Revell kit is not in a good state and the tyres are missing (which I knew) so when the aoshima kit came along I had to snap it up too! That kit is in really good condition so I can use the Revell kit for spares and experimentation.

Cheers, Nick

• Like 2

@Fnick Wow, I didn't know Revell did a Prelude kit, would love to see what's in the box.  Is it kerbside or fully detailed?

Having completed a Tamiya 2nd gen Prelude and with a Fujimi 3rd gen Prelude in progress I'm looking at the old 4th gen Prelude that I built many years ago and thinking I could do with a better version of the 4th gen Prelude.  I don't like the alloys that came with my 4th gen kit (some sort of BBS-style wheels rather than the OEM style).

Yep didn't know either. It was you prelude build that got me searching. From what I've read the Revell kit is rare. I was very lucky to get the aoshima patrol one for £35 Inc postage from Italy. You can get them on eBay but they are much more expensive on buy it now.

Here's a picture of the Revell kit apart from tyres. Both kits are effectively the same 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Fnick said:

Yep didn't know either. It was you prelude build that got me searching. From what I've read the Revell kit is rare. I was very lucky to get the aoshima patrol one for £35 Inc postage from Italy. You can get them on eBay but they are much more expensive on buy it now.

Here's a picture of the Revell kit apart from tyres. Both kits are effectively the same 

Thanks Nick, it makes me think that my 4th geh Prelude is an Aoshima one, I think there's also a Fujimi release as well that I'd like to get.

• Like 1

I remember seeing a version of this kit back when the 1989 Batman film came out, they were piled high and probably quite cheap in the local toy shop (which did a nice line in American car kits).

y4mEdzibASuRGbvJyQRTRAfOtWe2PI8FRi0MVbjr

You can build it as a stock 1977 Dodge Monaco, a Gotham City police cruiser or one of the Joker's Goons transport.  I'm tempted to go stock, because four-door "sedans" are so unusual in the model car world.  I may get two more so that I can build the other versions.  Considering the tooling has been around for a while the moulded parts look in pretty good shape.  I'm not sure about the resin Joker figure; I'd prefer one that looked either like Jack Nicholson's character or maybe like a classic Joker from The Killing Joke.

I'm not sure if these belong here...

y4mY3SQKVnoPDnDPScNoHVrFfAKVPU28IqgqA3Tk

I've had this in my collection for ages but I'm almost too scared to do anything with the bits.

y4moomJoDNHt660WJJUn26tPE5u03noVRgiNBG1f

I'm sure I could have put something together myself but it looks like the garage kit has been re-released and I thought it might make for a nice photographic backdrop.

• Like 3

Two new arrivals.

y4mlzFJ7o_oezBy2orgmFWMpObzSMdyzdgaUKGfL

I'm a Honda fan and when I discovered that there was a kit for the 1960s Grand Prix RA272 in 1:24 scale I couldn't resist it.  The bodywork looks so tiny compared with the road cars I usually build.

y4mrHcKG_ETc4tnkDL17RfL7T1t66c7JscZbTwCt

Rather more complex is the Citroen DS, which ticks a lot of my boxes; unusual subject, four-door saloon, 1960s car (was there ever a period where buyers had more variety from which to choose?).  I just hope I can find a nice colour and give it a paint job that does this beautiful car justice.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

I just hope I can find a nice colour and give it a paint job that does this beautiful car justice.

Burgundy with a cream roof. I used to pass a DS on the way to school in the sixties. It looked like a spaceship compared to the other cars.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Burgundy with a cream roof. I used to pass a DS on the way to school in the sixties.

They did look so advanced in the 60's. Just imagine what it must have been like when it was introduced in he 50's!

• Like 2

Funnily enough I drove for a few minutes behind a burgundy DS at the weekend. Lovely car. Shame I couldn't take any pics! Another potential colour could be gloss black. Classy and will be nicely contrasted by the chrome (well in my humble opinion anyway...)

Nick

• Like 2

Saw a very sad sight last night - the rear end of my RS2000 as it departed for a new life in Skelmersdale .  It was hard to part after 34 years , but I just didn't use the car enough & it had to live outside so it was time for it to go . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Burgundy with a cream roof. I used to pass a DS on the way to school in the sixties. It looked like a spaceship compared to the other cars.

59 minutes ago, Fnick said:

Funnily enough I drove for a few minutes behind a burgundy DS at the weekend. Lovely car. Shame I couldn't take any pics! Another potential colour could be gloss black. Classy and will be nicely contrasted by the chrome (well in my humble opinion anyway...)

Nick

Thanks for the suggestions, black does sound nice, if I can get a decent finish. Although I have a lot of burgundy paint that needs using... 

• Like 1

The kits are coming in two-by-two now!

y4mMma9CfRhzPZ3r_eLlZ9kpDmv8lewJnjLsMqoh

Two Honda Preludes from Japan, slightly less of a bargain because I got an invoice for customs duty and fees, plus two Toyota Celsiors from a shop in the UK that were considerably cheaper on the shops website than they were in store.  The Preludes will be built to represent the other two of the three that I owned; the Toyotas, I couldn't decide what colour but wanted to do one a dark colour and one something lighter so I should be able to do both.  If I can find some Lexus badges I can even turn one or both into a LS 400.

• Like 3

On 09/09/2020 at 10:18, rs2man said:

Saw a very sad sight last night - the rear end of my RS2000 as it departed for a new life in Skelmersdale .  It was hard to part after 34 years , but I just didn't use the car enough & it had to live outside so it was time for it to go . 

That's a real shame - I still miss my last Mk2 40 years on....

Keith

Great to see the Chapparal gems again! 

resized_362e1188-49fb-4761-b639-3a2790d2Eddy's in Helston, for nine and eleven ⁉️

I'd like to see that turn up on the Antiques Roadshow. 

My last epic slot car build was a 2F in 1.24 scale. I've still got the vac form shell for it somewhere. 

I guess Frog repackaged or imported the AMT kit straight into the UK. 

It's gonna be a beauty! 

• Like 1

Thanks Rob,it’s got a wheel missing,but the wheels are actually rubbish! I have managed to get replacement resin tyres that go with Cox slotcar Chaparral wheels, they’ll be the my next step. The model I think is really good. Chris

• Like 2