What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

58 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

There's a '65 3 in 1 kit on oldmodelkits.com at $69! postage would be horrendous though.

I'll keep an eye out on the bay for you.

That's the one that's been reissued to death (and the only Lincoln to be reissued).  The most recent version has the custom station wagon artwork.   I think '65 was the last year AMT made the convertible, so the tooling survived rather than being hacked up for the next year's "annual".

This is the original '64 hardtop - deep pockets required:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMT-1964-Lincoln-Continental-1-25-6424-150-Model-Kit-/233654915308

That isn't a live listing, so I figure it's OK, but if linking to Ebay isn't the done thing, let me know and I'll remove it.

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Six97s said:

That's the one that's been reissued to death (and the only Lincoln to be reissued).  The most recent version has the custom station wagon artwork.   I think '65 was the last year AMT made the convertible, so the tooling survived rather than being hacked up for the next year's "annual".

This is the original '64 hardtop - deep pockets required:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMT-1964-Lincoln-Continental-1-25-6424-150-Model-Kit-/233654915308

That isn't a live listing, so I figure it's OK, but if linking to Ebay isn't the done thing, let me know and I'll remove it.

I'm glad you did, Nice to know it's out there even if it's going to cost a bit.

• Like 1

From the bay, an Airfix Vigilante Junior kit No 04911. I was curious and wanted to see what it was like.

In other words, a 1/32nd Snap fit Land Rover.

I've had a quick look and it looks pretty good. I'm just not too sure what I'm going to do with it!

You win some, you lose some.

y4mBPvPk0LqSlrzK0h-pD11qsZDF_w1fZ71P7V1x

This turned up today - great.

y4mjlWVWpOX7gmoOjwBHKt6f0ygKQebTRfSsyhZl

But the body looked like this.

y4mwZVlYRZDgvKAKLx64_jParsXWUKeaEFjwhahg

Tried straightening by softening it in hot water but to no avail.  Still, it is a useful source of spares for my other Prelude build.

• Sad 3

Was that down to poor packing John? I'm getting very wary of buying models from private sellers on ebay, as too many of them now seem to think that shoving models into a plastic bag is good enough! Last two I've had have done that but I was lucky in that only the boxes were damaged.

Keith

7 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Cool! Profil24 or another 1/43 gem?

Looking forward to seeing this one built!

Keith

Profil24 this time :)

EDIT: got a 1/43 MFH gem on the go however...

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Was that down to poor packing John? I'm getting very wary of buying models from private sellers on ebay, as too many of them now seem to think that shoving models into a plastic bag is good enough! Last two I've had have done that but I was lucky in that only the boxes were damaged.

Keith

No Keith, it was well packaged, despite the postie leaving it on my doorstep in a downpour the contents were bone dry and the box is in good condition with no evidence of being crushed.  I think if this had been the only version of this kit that I'd got then I'd have been devastated and would have contacted the seller for a refund, I might send them a photo of the body as delivered to see if they offer a partial refund.  As it is I've just been on eBay and found another kit for just over £22 from Japan with free delivery.  It would take a month to get here (based on past experience) but it shows they are out there if I want another body shell.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

I might send them a photo of the body as delivered to see if they offer a partial refund.  

No harm in trying, I mean come on ... this is not good.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

I agree, and I wonder how it got in that state in the first place? Surely the seller would have opened the box before they sent it & seen the condition it was in?

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose to do John.

Keith

Two more Fujimi Honda Preludes ordered from eBay, from a seller in Japan.  At £22.40 and free postage it seemed rude not to.  The seller had three for sale and for a moment I considered buying them all!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JeroenS said:

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I agree, and I wonder how it got in that state in the first place? Surely the seller would have opened the box before they sent it & seen the condition it was in?

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose to do John.

Keith

Contacted seller and partial refund sorted within minutes. I'm not sure if it's a win but it's better than nothing, covers part of the cost of a replacement kit which seems reasonable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnlambert said:

Contacted seller and partial refund sorted within minutes. I'm not sure if it's a win but it's better than nothing, covers part of the cost of a replacement kit which seems reasonable.

Weird.  If it was packed properly and apparently OK when it reached you, it must have been damaged when he had it?  Were there photos of the contents or was it sealed?

I had a similar experience, but with mine it was clear the box had suffered in transit and the internal packaging was insufficient.

body_-vi.jpg

body2_-vi.jpg

Edited by Six97s
  • Sad 1

I'm trying not to add to the stash because I already have more than I'll ever be able to build, but I've bought a Johan '64 Dodge to make amends for the one I built and ruined as a teen.  Curiously, this one is slightly different in that it has M/T (Mickey Thompson) valve covers. I'm sure my first had the standard stamped steel valve covers.  Everything else appears to be the same; the only minor differences are that the tyres are a harder, shinier PVC than my other Johan kits and it's moulded in red instead of orange.  Still, with Johan, nothing was ever set in stone...

• Like 2

@Six97s One of those listings where you can't see the various parts clearly.  One photo showing the open box and all the contents. but not clear enough to show the detail.  If I'm selling a kit I try to show as many of the parts as possible so the buyer knows what's there.  Maybe it was damaged before dispatch and they didn't check, maybe it was the weight of the other parts in the box combined with being in the back of a van on a hot day?  I'll never know for certain but I'm happy to move on.

Anyway, it gives me a nice set of alloys and Brembo brakes for one of the other Preludes.  Plus spare glazing and other bits just in case.  Not sure what I'll do with the extra large rear spoiler but I might find a use for it one day...

Was that a Chrysler 300C before it was squashed?  That's a real shame.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

@Six97s One of those listings where you can't see the various parts clearly.  One photo showing the open box and all the contents. but not clear enough to show the detail. 

Was that a Chrysler 300C before it was squashed?  That's a real shame.

That's a bummer.  😐

Yes, it was.  Since it wasn't possible to save it, I thought about trying to turn it into something like the Cliff Inman Chrysler: https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Clif_Inman's_1957_Chrysler

I chopped it and glued in the rear window to align and reinforce the structure. The Inman car had the wraparound rear window filled and replaced by a smaller '61 Mercury Comet window, so that makes life easier. I filled it with Milliput, but haven't cut the new opening yet.   I never liked the 300 grille anyway, so the plan was always to rework the bonnet/hood to the lower series' shape,  That was three years ago, so another one I should probably resurrect.  🙄

57chrysler01-vi.jpg

57chrysler02-vi.jpg

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Six97s said:

That's a bummer.  😐

Yes, it was.  Since it wasn't possible to save it, I thought about trying to turn it into something like the Cliff Inman Chrysler: https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Clif_Inman's_1957_Chrysler

I chopped it and glued in the rear window to align and reinforce the structure. The Inman car had the wraparound rear window filled and replaced by a smaller '61 Mercury Comet window, so that makes life easier. I filled it with Milliput, but haven't cut the new opening yet.   I never liked the 300 grille anyway, so the plan was always to rework the bonnet/hood to the lower series' shape,  That was three years ago, so another one I should probably resurrect.  🙄

That's a pretty good way to save the kit.  I've got a couple of big diecast 300 letter series Chryslers but I'd like to add a 1/24 or 1/25 scale version to my collection at some point.  I'm not that big a custom car fan but I actually quite like the Cliff Inman Chrysler.

Has anyone made a Hasegawa bike kit and are they worth the extra 10 to 15 quid over Tamiya or Fujimi bike kits? A few really nice looking ones are coming out soon but I don't want to add to the already enlarging stash if they are a rip.

Proof that I am nothing if not easily influenced.  I watched an episode of Jay Leno's Garage recently that featured this car, then I found a WIP thread on here where someone built one.

What is it, you ask?

y4m2JWO1zRgSMg9Kro0suMlKVS6rOCNkz5tBlfhZ

The Maserati 3500GT as modelled by Monogram.  I had a trawl on eBay and found a couple that were quite expensive on buy-it-now and this one was less expensive, so I watched it.  The seller sent me an offer that I thought was fairly reasonable and I snapped it up.

y4mdFgZQxtxOlIxBcsu8GLU7W0LGfbrMN-0yT0whIv

A lot of the parts are off the sprues but everything seems to be there and in good condition, I guess from the copyright date on the box that it could be 42 years old (so almost as old as me).

• Like 3

5 hours ago, davecov said:

I love the colours of the Maserati, John. Will you be using those colours or do you have others in mind?

Dave

Hi Dave, I'm not sure about the colour. The dark red is lovely and the moulded finish on the bodywork is almost good enough not to need paint. But I'm not sure if I would rather go for a blue or maybe something metallic? 

I've got a lot of Vauxhall burgundy paint left over from respraying a Corgi Rolls-Royce, so this might help use it up (I accidentally ordered 2 cans of paint via click and collect). 

• Like 2