What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

Another Tamiya Austin Mini Cooper S

y4mZtwZcAqrDnIbu2u7gJeUoGkt2SP4ciPQXnsfU

Although on inspection it appears to be missing the Austin specific parts; grille, wheels and metal transfers.  I'm a bit disappointed but also unsure whether to request a refund or just keep it and try to source the missing parts.

Edited by johnlambert

15 hours ago, johnlambert said:

Another Tamiya Austin Mini Cooper S

y4mZtwZcAqrDnIbu2u7gJeUoGkt2SP4ciPQXnsfU

Although on inspection it appears to be missing the Austin specific parts; grille, wheels and metal transfers.  I'm a bit disappointed but also unsure whether to request a refund or just keep it and try to source the missing parts.

If it was specified as complete and was not cheap I would ask for some money back at least. It is really annoying when you buy a "complete" kit and when you get it it is not. I mean how hard can it be to check especially a kit like this.

Up until now I thought the Mini Cooper kits with the green and red car were the same just different reissues. But now that you mention it I see they are different. :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dbostream said:

If it was specified as complete and was not cheap I would ask for some money back at least. It is really annoying when you buy a "complete" kit and when you get it it is not. I mean how hard can it be to check especially a kit like this.

Up until now I thought the Mini Cooper kits with the green and red car were the same just different reissues. But now that you mention it I see they are different. :)

I've contacted the seller to explain that bits are missing.  Depending on the response I'll either send it back for a full refund or accept a partial refund and build it as a Morris.  But I really like the dinky steel wheels that you get in the Austin kit, which is why I bought this rather than a Morris.

Updated to add: seller has said that they didn't know the kit was incomplete and offered either £15 discount or to accept a return and full refund.  Just mulling over what I should do, I don't fancy the chances of getting hold of the wheels, steering wheel, exhaust, grille, wheel trims and decals that make this an Austin.

Edited by johnlambert
Updated with new information

This is something a bit different; a Jaguar Mk.II that's not the Tamiya kit.  It's a 1/24 whitemetal kit by K&R Replicas and sold through eBay.  Usual disclaimer; no connection, just a satisfied customer, but K&R seems to do a few 1:24 scale Jaguars (I spotted kits for C and D-types) plus quite a wide range of 1:43rd metal kits.

y4mgURl5lW1n6EGsKwPOXwXQ2rZgoINcwhsso03r

There's more to the kit than shown here but it's lots of small cast and etched parts that I don't really want to spread out until I've sorted a better storage system.  The body will take a bit of cleaning around the openings and I don't expect this will be as easy as a Tamiya kit, but I hope I can turn it into something fairly respectable.

• Like 4

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngHi,my latest 2 resin kits,first is a 1/24 Ferrari kit I wanted the moment I first saw it.Fernando Pinto models,it's got lots of very fragile resin parts as you can see! A lot of the smaller parts are very very fragile looking too.Also a resin airplane for anyone interested- there was a very complimentary review of this kit in one of the monthly mags recently. The Ferrari was £122, I hesitated ,then it was my birthday so I went ahead and the £ went up and it was £118! Chris.

• Like 4

So my latest purchase which I bought after missing out on another Zakspeed Capri, I missed the end of the auction due to working on my current Capri 🙂

spacer.png

Haven't built one of these before so looking forward to this one 👍

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Kitkent said:

Also a resin airplane for anyone interested-

I love the Thunderstreak. Sold mine last year at Telford as I hate working with resin kits now as I'm alergic to superglue. I keep hoping thst Sword will follow up their nice RF-84 with an injection moulded F.

That Ferrari looks really nice but also looks like it'll need some delicate building, not much good for sausage fingers like mine!! :)

Keith

Thanks Keith,I suppose the clue is in your user name?  I probably bought your one at Telford,I have 2 now. The resin planes seem simpler to me as that's what I'm more used to,I find the injected ones more fiddly,the Thunderstreak has the wings already made for instance. The Ferrari is more complex than I expected though!  Chris.

Just now, Kitkent said:

Thanks Keith,I suppose the clue is in your user name?  I probably bought your one at Telford,I have 2 now. The resin planes seem simpler to me as that's what I'm more used to,I find the injected ones more fiddly,the Thunderstreak has the wings already made for instance. The Ferrari is more complex than I expected though!  Chris.

Sorry Keith! I must have been thinking of mr. Sabrejet,apologies to both. Chris.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kitkent said:

Sorry Keith! I must have been thinking of mr. Sabrejet,apologies to both. Chris.

No worries Chris, but I must admit I couldn't work out how my username related to the Thunderstreak.... :) 

Edited because I got the name of the aeroplane wrong!!

On 28/06/2020 at 14:21, Kitkent said:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngHi,my latest 2 resin kits,first is a 1/24 Ferrari kit I wanted the moment I first saw it.Fernando Pinto models,it's got lots of very fragile resin parts as you can see! A lot of the smaller parts are very very fragile looking too.Also a resin airplane for anyone interested- there was a very complimentary review of this kit in one of the monthly mags recently. The Ferrari was £122, I hesitated ,then it was my birthday so I went ahead and the £ went up and it was £118! Chris.

Having seen some of the builds of Fernando Pinto resin kits I'm getting quite tempted to buy one.  Annoyingly the Ferrari 250GT Bertone kit has sold out by the look of things as that was right up my street.  The Ferrari 166 MM looks lovely but again there is only one left and I'm a bit nervous about splashing out as I've been quite extravagant lately.

Hi John,I think this one is more than I bargained for to be honest! I have made one of his kits,the Ferrari Squalo F1,think it was a 1954 car. Fairly simple that one. I have just completed a K and R D Type Jag,but have not seen the MK2 in the flesh myself.I know that I have 2 of their 1/43 kits in the stash. Good luck. Chris.

• Like 1

Technically this doesn't belong here as I didn't buy it.  My work colleagues surprised me with a present a few days before my birthday.

y4moWr5o7vF74g4a6GRW0juDL0fkXkfmXSFsVRnQ

I built a version of this kit back in my early teenage years (sadly that version has long since gone to landfill) but I quite fancy seeing what sort of job I can make of it.  I've got a week off work coming up and I might put my other projects aside to see if I can build this in a week.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 5:00 PM, Andy J said:

So my latest purchase which I bought after missing out on another Zakspeed Capri, I missed the end of the auction due to working on my current Capri 🙂

spacer.png

Haven't built one of these before so looking forward to this one 👍

Built a couple now, good straight forward kits.

Decals not great though, bit thin.

Either under paint them or look at HiroBoy for alternatives.

Rick.

Rick.

2 minutes ago, Rick Brown said:

Built a couple now, good straight forward kits.

Decals not great though, bit thin.

Either under paint them or look at HiroBoy for alternatives.

Rick.

Rick.

Thanks Rick, when you say the decals are thin do you mean that the colour underneath the decals shows through?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Thanks Rick, when you say the decals are thin do you mean that the colour underneath the decals shows through?

Yup.

Not too difficult a task, as there's very few and they're straight lines and a few circles.

Rick.

1 minute ago, Rick Brown said:

Yup.

Not too difficult a task, as there's very few and they're straight lines and a few circles.

Rick.

I see hiroboy do a set of shunko decals for this kit which gives me a better choice colour wise never used there decals before have you by any chance?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

I see hiroboy do a set of shunko decals for this kit which gives me a better choice colour wise never used there decals before have you by any chance?

I haven't Andy.

I keep putting them in my cart then taking them out again!

Rick.

6 minutes ago, Rick Brown said:

I haven't Andy.

I keep putting them in my cart then taking them out again!

Rick.

Ok thanks for the info I'll give it some thought 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

I used their decals for my Stratos. Impressions would be that they are thick (they make the Belkits decals look thin), but the print quality seems good and the colours cover well (although granted I was only covering white apart from a couple of locations). They do seem to respons pretty well to decal solutions so aren't unworkable by any means.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spiny said:

I used their decals for my Stratos. Impressions would be that they are thick (they make the Belkits decals look thin), but the print quality seems good and the colours cover well (although granted I was only covering white apart from a couple of locations). They do seem to respons pretty well to decal solutions so aren't unworkable by any means.

Interesting thanks sounds like they will do the trick I'll get some ordered 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

I see hiroboy do a set of shunko decals for this kit

Don't forget the problem I had with the ones for the Calibra Andy, in that they don't give you all the decals on their 'replacement' sheet - shouldn't be a problem as there's not that many on the GT40, but worth checking...

Keith

5 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Don't forget the problem I had with the ones for the Calibra Andy, in that they don't give you all the decals on their 'replacement' sheet - shouldn't be a problem as there's not that many on the GT40, but worth checking...

Keith

Good point Keith but comparing the two it seems that shunko provide more decals than the kit does. Havent ordered them yet so time for a bit more homework 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, johnlambert said:

My work colleagues surprised me with a present a few days before my birthday.

y4moWr5o7vF74g4a6GRW0juDL0fkXkfmXSFsVRnQ

Do they dislike you intensely? 😜

There are some gems in the Airfix 1/32 range — one of them is even a Jaguar —, but that E Type isn’t one of them. The DB5 was good, but is knackered, and the E Type wasn’t that good in the first place and is equally knackered. There’s a “guided build” by @roymattblack on here that shows how to make a silk purse out of that sow’s ear. Why Airfix can’t replace it and the DB5 with new 1/32 kits based on the nice Scalextric tooling is beyond me...

Good luck!

best,

M.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1