What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

On 11/12/2019 at 1:36 PM, rs2man said:

As usual , the first thing I did when I got through the door at Telford was to head to the Wonderland Models stand to see what they were offering at ridiculously low prices . I'm glad I did because they had some Ebbro 1/20 F-1 cars at substantial discount due to the boxes being somewhat crumpled .  I picked up a 1967 Lotus 49 & a 1973 Lotus 72E for £34.99 each - bargain !!!

Funny that. My good lady Aileen bought me the EBBRO Lotus Type 49 (1967) for my Christmas box while I picked up a Tamiya Lotus Type 79 (1978), both at the Wonderland Models stand. I also got a Heller 1/24 Bugatti T.50.

spacer.png

Can't show the Lotus 49 'cos Aileen has hidden it!

Dave

Just got this for a bargain price from a well known auction site . Still sealed up as well . It’s a pity Ogier hadn’t  stayed at Ford , rather than moving to Citroen . If Ford would put more investment into the M Sport Rally Team , the Fiesta would still be winning . Ogier has now left Citroen for Toyota , Citroen have pulled out of the WRC ......

Gary .

49106310616_6a757a25f0_c_d.jpg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

Just got this for a bargain price from a well known auction site . Still sealed up as well . It’s a pity Ogier hadn’t  stayed at Ford , rather than moving to Citroen . If Ford would put more investment into the M Sport Rally Team , the Fiesta would still be winning . Ogier has now left Citroen for Toyota , Citroen have pulled out of the WRC ......

Gary .

[Belkits Fiesta pic]

There was a little piece of me was quite annoyed when this one came out as it's the nearest thing to my day-to-day car. Unfortunately I'd given up hope of a post-facelift Fiesta of any description, so sitting in the stash there is Belkits' 2010 S2000 Fiesta rally car. As I expect there to be a number of similarities between the kits I'll definitely be watching if you get onto building this before I get around to mine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

There was a little piece of me was quite annoyed when this one came out as it's the nearest thing to my day-to-day car. Unfortunately I'd given up hope of a post-facelift Fiesta of any description, so sitting in the stash there is Belkits' 2010 S2000 Fiesta rally car. As I expect there to be a number of similarities between the kits I'll definitely be watching if you get onto building this before I get around to mine.

Hi Spiny . I 've got the Belkits S2000 Fiesta as well , not built yet though.  The price of the newer kit put me off (£50+) , but I got this for £38 , buy it now . Couldn't resist at that price . 

Gary.  

• Like 1

I gave in to temptation & bought the new Revell 1:24 Land Rover 109 station wagon earlier in the month, and last week, a 1:43 1950 Riley RMC Le Mans racer white metal kit.  I'd like that to be done as the regular road car but it depends if I can handle scatchbuilding a windscreen and bumpers at that scale.  I have another unbuilt 1:43 kit of an RM saloon (can't remember if its the 11/2 (RMA / early E) or 21/2 litre (RMB / F), but at that scale...) so I may use the bumpers off that as patterns to pewter cast a set at work.

However, today two other kits have just arrived - Heller's 1:24 Citroen Mehari which was just too quirky to resist at £18, and also from the same ebay shop, a particular kit I had been wanting for a while, but managed to find new for just £25 - Aoshima's 1:24 Lamborghini Countach.  This is the 5000 QV injection version, with the straked side skirts over the sills, but the sprues still have quite a few parts from other versions too, including two earlier sets of sills, one with the ends of the flared arches.  I suspect that those will be used, as that will then make it close enough to the red Countach from Cannonball Run 2.  I think the engine cover might not be correct for the year of the car in the film, but everything else needed for the exterior to look right seems to be in the kit, including the correct style wheels.  I can't bring myself to build a model of the black one in the first film due to the horrendous front end modifications that I guess were for compliance with the US Federal regs of the time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Paul H said:

However, today two other kits have just arrived - Heller's 1:24 Citroen Mehari which was just too quirky to resist at £18, and also from the same ebay shop, a particular kit I had been wanting for a while, but managed to find new for just £25 - Aoshima's 1:24 Lamborghini Countach.  This is the 5000 QV injection version, with the straked side skirts over the sills, but the sprues still have quite a few parts from other versions too, including two earlier sets of sills, one with the ends of the flared arches.  I suspect that those will be used, as that will then make it close enough to the red Countach from Cannonball Run 2.  I think the engine cover might not be correct for the year of the car in the film, but everything else needed for the exterior to look right seems to be in the kit, including the correct style wheels.  I can't bring myself to build a model of the black one in the first film due to the horrendous front end modifications that I guess were for compliance with the US Federal regs of the time.

If it's anything like the LP400 I'm doing at the moment (and I think they may share a lot of parts), the Countach should be a good kit. I'm certainly impressed with it.

• Thanks 1

I decided to get another one of these as the drink's cabinet needs stocking up for Christmas. Guinness build done, Bacardi decals ready and waiting, Coca-Cola decals on the way from santa😉🍻

spacer.png 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by mbdesignart
photos added
  • Like 4

I really must stop....  I've just ordered two Airtrax resin kits.  Not cheap, but there are ones that I have been wanting for a very long time.  They have loads of other great cars in their catalogue too, however I already have four other Airtrax kits, and I've only got around to starting one of them so perhaps I should actually build something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

You see, now, this is why I never, NEVER look at the Airtrax catalogue listing...

best,

M.

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I did once, but I think I got away with it...!! :)

Keith

What is this heresy? :shocked:  I thought I was being remarkably restrained.  I would happily have bought another seven from the list, if I thought I could get away with it.  However its a bit cold to sleep outside in my car at this time of year.

They currently have about 70 kits listed, one of the recent releases being a Jaguar Mk VII which looks very nice in the photos but my 1:1 automotive tastes for this era are more to the Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire and Riley RM & Pathfinder so that wasn't one of the seven.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul H said:

I would happily have bought another seven from the list, if I thought I could get away with it

Because I didn't buy the 10 (or 15!) that I wanted is why I reckon I got away with taking a peek at their lists!! :laugh:

Keith

• Haha 1

On 03/12/2019 at 20:28, Paul H said:

I would happily have bought another seven from the list, if I thought I could get away with it.  However its a bit cold to sleep outside in my car at this time of year.

I may have spoken too soon...  The Airtrax paypal transaction was spotted, and there is now a strict ban on all kit purchasing for the foreseeable future.

I think I can stick to that unless any of the following are released in 1:24/25:  any Riley, a Volvo Amazon (injection moulded only - I already have both Airtrax's resin saloon & estate ones), an A-H Sprite Mk2, a '50s Armstrong Siddeley, a Lagonda (the '70s William Towns design), a Ferrari 400i, a decent Morris Minor (I know there are a few resin Minors from various sources, but none look quite right to me in any of the photos I have seen), and for non automotive, an accurate new tool Avro 504 in any scale, especially if to 1914 spec.

However as any of the above are very unlikely, perhaps I should get off my backside and start CAD modelling them to 3D print at work...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Paul H said:

I may have spoken too soon...  The Airtrax paypal transaction was spotted, and there is now a strict ban on all kit purchasing for the foreseeable future.

Hahaha, I feel your pain

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Won some money on a horse and thought I would treat myself with a more expensive model I would usually not buy:

spacer.png

Also bought these two from the same store because they were cheap. Can never have too many E-Type kits. :) 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

I wish that Fiat was the road car scale of 1:16 rather than the racing car / motorbike scale of 1:12.

I do like Heller's E Type S1 3.8 OTS and FHC.  Whilst they are very old, they are still pretty decent kits, and in fact excellent for their age.  Also vastly superior IMHO in accuracy too compared to all other E Type kits in this scale, except the Gunze Sangyo S1 4.2 OTS (if you can even find one...).  Whilst the headlights are not 100% perfect, they are far more correct than the slighty goofy box art suggests, and so much better than the old Revell OTS that was re-released not so long ago.

• Like 1

Recently bought from KingKit:

y4m7S_7KFtkLzayJc2Kv-41GiHO6GB6xIrjVkief

I had this many-many years ago, I was quite pleased with the result, but it was stored in the loft, and now I can't find it! I know it's there somewhere!

If I recall, it was a very nice (if somewhet complicated) kit to build.

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Paul H said:

I do like Heller's E Type S1 3.8 OTS and FHC.  Whilst they are very old, they are still pretty decent kits, and in fact excellent for their age.  Also vastly superior IMHO in accuracy too compared to all other E Type kits in this scale, except the Gunze Sangyo S1 4.2 OTS (if you can even find one...).  Whilst the headlights are not 100% perfect, they are far more correct than the slighty goofy box art suggests, and so much better than the old Revell OTS that was re-released not so long ago.

The Heller E-Types are ok kits but still require a fair amount of work to get an accurate result .  My main issues with the kits are the poor wheels & the dreadful windscreen which has the bottom of the frame & the bottom half of the windscreen wipers moulded to the body & the rest of the frame & wipers moulded to the screen .  Some delicate wiper-removal work , Bare Metal Foil & some etched wipers are required .  As regards the Gunze kits , the Hi Tech version is a glaring example of complexity for the sake of it .  Much of the detail is supplied as white metal castings which on mine were very rough & would all have been better moulded in plastic .  The bumpers are white metal & unplated , there is a large amount of photoetch including the complex but impressive-looking wheels , much of the interior is moulded in vinyl or some other form of flexible plastic & they give you a bag of dressmakers pins which they instruct you to cut down to use as pivot points for the suspension .  There is the possibility of a really impressive model in the box , but you'll have to work very hard to get it .  Coming to the cheaper all-plastic version of the Gunze kit , its main uses are as a donor of rather nice wheels & tyres to improve the Heller kit & a nice set of plated plastic bumpers to replace the white metal horrors in the Hi Tech version .  Should you decide to build the basic Gunze kit it is , unlike all other E-Type kits , a curbside with the bonnet fixed shut & no engine detail .  It also has silvery grey  decals for the headlamp cover brightware since the Hi Tech kit supplies etch & the bright beading between the wing & centre section parts of the bonnet isn't there at all - there's a groove in the bonnet moulding because the Hi Tech kit gives you some aluminium rod to fit in the groove . 

All in all , I suspect that the Heller kits give the best chance of a decent 1/24 E Type that doesn't cost the earth so the work involved in getting them right is more than worthwhile .  I find it strange though that 58 years after the E-Type's launch we're still waiting for a definitive kit in 1/24 .

• Like 3

On 12/8/2019 at 2:40 PM, Paul H said:

I wish that Fiat was the road car scale of 1:16 rather than the racing car / motorbike scale of 1:12.

I don't mind the 1:12 scale, will look good next to the Tamiya 1:12 Mini Cooper if I ever get to building them. :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rs2man said:

The Heller E-Types are ok kits but still require a fair amount of work to get an accurate result .  My main issues with the kits are the poor wheels & the dreadful windscreen which has the bottom of the frame & the bottom half of the windscreen wipers moulded to the body & the rest of the frame & wipers moulded to the screen .  Some delicate wiper-removal work , Bare Metal Foil & some etched wipers are required .  As regards the Gunze kits , the Hi Tech version is a glaring example of complexity for the sake of it .  Much of the detail is supplied as white metal castings which on mine were very rough & would all have been better moulded in plastic .  The bumpers are white metal & unplated , there is a large amount of photoetch including the complex but impressive-looking wheels , much of the interior is moulded in vinyl or some other form of flexible plastic & they give you a bag of dressmakers pins which they instruct you to cut down to use as pivot points for the suspension .  There is the possibility of a really impressive model in the box , but you'll have to work very hard to get it .  Coming to the cheaper all-plastic version of the Gunze kit , its main uses are as a donor of rather nice wheels & tyres to improve the Heller kit & a nice set of plated plastic bumpers to replace the white metal horrors in the Hi Tech version .  Should you decide to build the basic Gunze kit it is , unlike all other E-Type kits , a curbside with the bonnet fixed shut & no engine detail .  It also has silvery grey  decals for the headlamp cover brightware since the Hi Tech kit supplies etch & the bright beading between the wing & centre section parts of the bonnet isn't there at all - there's a groove in the bonnet moulding because the Hi Tech kit gives you some aluminium rod to fit in the groove . 

All in all , I suspect that the Heller kits give the best chance of a decent 1/24 E Type that doesn't cost the earth so the work involved in getting them right is more than worthwhile .  I find it strange though that 58 years after the E-Type's launch we're still waiting for a definitive kit in 1/24 .

Luckily my eyes are not trained enough to spot inaccuracies and I build for the fun of building doesn't matter to me if it the model is a bit off. But I agree the windscreen wipers could and should have been molded differently.