What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

On 11/3/2019 at 9:27 PM, Spiny said:

I really like the look of those Tamiya Historic series cars, looks like a coupel of good purchases for you with those. My wallet wouldn't thank me, but I hope Tamiya re-release some of these in the same way that they are re-releasing some of the Sports Car series.

Seconded: the Jag Mk2 and Morgan would be very welcome returnees!

As for AMG GT3, I’m gonna do mine in “Hell Green”, and hang the fact there isn’t really one in that colour!

best,

M.

• Like 1

Just received from Hobby Search in Japan the new release of the Aoshima Mk2 Mazda MX-5 . Only had time for a quick look before I left for Telford , but it looks like a lovely little kit - lhd and rhd dashboards , 2 choices of wheels , hood down , hood up or hardtop .    

Uhm, I just finished one of these. Well, in fact, the project isn't even completely finished, but I liked this little truck a lot and when I was browsing the second-hand site last Saturday I saw this one for a nice price so I couldn't resist. The guy who had it for sale only lives 5 minutes away so no shipping which was great. 

49049501333_ecb64fe6f1_z.jpg

This kit is even older than the other one! I'm going to lengthen the chassis and make it a 4 x 2 flatbed truck. 

• Like 2

As usual , the first thing I did when I got through the door at Telford was to head to the Wonderland Models stand to see what they were offering at ridiculously low prices . I'm glad I did because they had some Ebbro 1/20 F-1 cars at substantial discount due to the boxes being somewhat crumpled .  I picked up a 1967 Lotus 49 & a 1973 Lotus 72E for £34.99 each - bargain !!!

21 minutes ago, mbdesignart said:

I hope my skill set is up to the build

I'd struggle opening the bag....!!

I've just realised I completely forgot to come back to get the wheel sets I needed off you on Sunday Mark.... :doh:

Keith

Yeey, my Revell Land Rover series III just came in 🙂 

49058918542_de1fc58b89_z.jpg

The body is moulded in grey with nice detail. 

49058693676_9502b21b13_z.jpg

A whole bunch of sprues as well, also in grey. Both LHD and RHD dashboards provided. 

• Like 6

Sort of side issue, but somebody may like to comment.

Just acquired an original Tamiya 1/12 Lola 70. Lovely car, always liked them, so we'll see where we get to.

However...when this kit was new (1970), other than standing next to one, you'd have little option but to follow the instructions, especially ref colours. Now, of course, we have GOOGLE!!

I spend more time raking around said site checking numerous images in order to "get it right". Various things have come to light, such as - why has it got a large chrome plated mid-section to the distributor build? Answer would seem to be that it's based on a magneto ignited version (hence no alternator or coil), but...the middle section would most likely not be chrome, maybe red. Seem my point? Oh, and of course, I haven't seen a single image with the plug leads coming out the back of the distributor, but that's fixable.

BTW, if anybody really wants to complain, I have this terrible urge to paint it in Gulf colours! Yes, I know JW never went near Lolas, but it is a very fetching colour scheme, isn't it!!;) And, there's a guy in Portugal who hillclimbs one in Gulf colours.

Edited by MR2Don
  • Like 1

I know the feeling... Some evenings I'm all set up to stick some plastic together and then I end up getting completely lost in finding pictures for future builds 🙂 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MR2Don said:

I spend more time raking around said site checking numerous images in order to "get it right".

There’s a handy Haynes manual for the T70, which I’m using at the moment on a smaller scale build. It’s actually much more comprehensive on the MkIII than the Mk1 spider I’m building, since there are many more still around and in action. It also says that the MkIII was essentially a different car that kept the same name for homologation purposes....

best,

M.

I've been out of action, modelling-wise, for a while, but I have been able to spend time on a well-known auction site, where I went down a bit of a small-scale rabbit hole...

ultimate-corvette-L.jpg

Very reasonable price for this... I'm not sure many people in the UK know much about them...

And these four:

four-heller-boxes-L.jpg

Some British and European classics, and for sure the only way to get a mainstream injection-moulded Rover SD1 and Alfasud...

four-heller-bodies-L.jpg

merc-and-alfasud-L.jpg

jaguar-and-rover-L.jpg

The sharpness and detail of the mouldings is really pretty impressive. You can't really get a sense of size in the pictures, but they are reet petite: the Alfasud (the white one) is a little under 3.5" long...

I'll be getting on with these in fairly short order.

best,

M.

• Like 8

Not familar with the rest of their 1:43 series, but the Heller SD1 is definately a very nice moulding.  I bought one a while back, and was impressed by it not only for how it is for that scale but also the age (originally released in 1979 - mine was an early '80s Humbrol re-box).  I haven't built it yet as I am still undecided as to which stereotypically '70s BL colour to paint it!  In the meantime, I will look forward to seeing your build!

40 minutes ago, Spiny said:

How much do I wish there was a 1/24 SD1

I am hoping that Beemax might do a racing Vitesse version, to go along side the racing Volvo 242 turbo.  I would much prefer a road car, but think this is the most likely way of seeing one as a 1:24 kit & like the Volvo, I suspect that the aftermarket will assist with the necessary upgrades (if not, I'd happily construct my own 'civilian' interior).  However perhaps I am reading too much into the blurred image of the Vitesse visible on the box art behind the Volvo...

25 minutes ago, andmarsh said:

yea, the Kit itself does look really nice , just need to decide on how im going to approach painting the body 🙂

Can I suggest Tamiya fine surface primer in grey and then Tamiya TS14 as your gloss black coat. Both these products give great results just apply in light coats.

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Can I suggest Tamiya fine surface primer in grey and then Tamiya TS14 as your gloss black coat. Both these products give great results just apply in light coats.

yes may well purchase those - or i go with my cheaper Plastikote versions i still have lurking at home😀

3 hours ago, Andy J said:

did you have much in the way of work with the body prep?

from what i can see ( And as its going to be black)   panel lines look ok, and minimal flash.

1 hour ago, andmarsh said:

did you have much in the way of work with the body prep?

from what i can see ( And as its going to be black)   panel lines look ok, and minimal flash.

No flash and panel lines fine however look out for seam lines running along both sides of the body these need to be removed for best results. Lightly sand the seam lines and remove any scratches before painting otherwise they will show through your finished paintwork

Regards Andy