What CAR/BIKE kits have you recently bought 2?

shood23

12 hours ago, Maximum warp said:

Great buys Arni! I take it that these kits are hard to come by? I didn't even know the volovo kit existed.

Not sure if they are rare or not but the Volvo is nice and unusual..

My recent car & bike purchase in no particular order (to quote strictly...):

IMG_0005_zpsszgfbr6g.jpg

IMG_0003_zpsisvb4wgr.jpg

IMG_0001_zpswkrdqucz.jpgIMG_0004_zpshhdsjb3a.jpg

IMG_0002_zpsz1i1vdcm.jpg

IMG_0006_zpsru7hgyv4.jpg

Plus another Nissan GTR for Christmas. (No piccies as my wife has hidden it away until Christmas)

Cheers, Alan.

• Like 1

When are you planning to build that Skyline? Have the very same one waiting in my stash. But I want to do it justice, looks like a great kit. So I am not pulling it out before the Impreza is at a reasonable stage.

That NSX... Not sure yet if I want one or not.

I am planning to build it alongside two other GTR kits, the R32 GTR I bought years ago and the Nismo R32 that I am getting for Christmas.

I love the look of the new NSX. I also have the original Tamiya NSX. I am planning to build those together as well.

Still, I have a shed-load of stuff to finish first....

Cheers, Alan.

Just picked up Tamiya Kawasaki H2R 1:12. Will start the build after I eventually complete Ducati Panigale 1199s 1:12. Looks like a very good kit yet again by Tamiya. Will be using Alclad II paints and some mrp. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cookiezoom said:

Just picked up Tamiya Kawasaki H2R 1:12. Will start the build after I eventually complete Ducati Panigale 1199s 1:12. Looks like a very good kit yet again by Tamiya. Will be using Alclad II paints and some mrp. 

Looking forward to see that H2R build! 

• Like 1

I have to agree. Japanese sports cars (and super cars) are some of the most appealing cars these days. However, I still have a liking for Ferraris and Lamborghinis.

That H2R looks very appealing too. Trouble is I have got too many other 1/12 bikes to build. My never-ending story. :)

Cheers, Alan.

• Like 2

I am not a fan of "supercars" as to me they only look like something aimed at some poorly made sci-fi movie without any matter to the real world. They are mostly too luxurious and heavy to be real racecars, too tasteless and too impractical to be used as a daily driver even if you're super rich. It doesn't matter to me if they can reach 100km/h in under 3 seconds. Why would I be impressed if they cannot handle going fast round a racetrack other than a dragstrip or a nascar-bowl. Are you kidding me? 100 litres on 100km if you use your whole engine on a bugatti?... Combined with the poor design of these I have no reason to like them. Recent Lambos are very high up in my ranking of ugliness with all their randomly placed edges. Ferrari Design doesn't matter to me since the F40. What once were stylistic icons have become meaningless names to me. The new Honda NSX is pretty close to being that kind of super-car ugly in my book, but I am very much drawn to the Honda brand, so this is why I don't really know what to think of it.

But I could go on and on how all the recent cars do look alike, no matter who made them. I guess I am simply getting old and living (and loving) by yesteryears standards.

Of course, design is like art always something personal. So don't take me too serious.

Motorcycle kits are a problem to me. Haven't found any of a Honda Transalp (pre '99) or an africa twin (new or old)...

Edited by Schwarz-Brot

I am old :) but I still get a buzz from the newer supercars.

A classic mind you would be the Lamborghini Miura. I remember a scene from the start of "The Italian Job" (The original, not the USA mess!) where the guy was driving a Miura. Shame it got bull-dozered, though you never actually saw the car being trashed. All you saw was a big flash of flame coming out of the tunnel...

My all time favourite classic sports car is the original 3.8 litre E-Type Jaguar. If Enzo Ferrari called it the worlds most beautiful car, then who am I to argue.

Cheers, Alan.

• Like 2

On 08/12/2016 at 5:04 PM, Alan R said:

My recent car & bike purchase in no particular order (to quote strictly...):

I'm liking the Honda NSX. That's one of my choices. 

But id love this

http://www.hiroboy.com/124_Ferrari_FXX_K_Tamiya_Model_Kit__24343_--product--9462.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alan R said:

My all time favourite classic sports car is the original 3.8 litre E-Type Jaguar. If Enzo Ferrari called it the worlds most beautiful car, then who am I to argue.

I do absolutely agree with Enzo. Very, very beautiful car. The Miura is beautiful to me as well, but not outstanding.

In terms of design I do love those historic cars. Super smooth curves. Long bonnets and short backs. Distinguishable engine sounds. For sportscars and daily drivers I am very much a child of the 1990s and 2000s.

Watched the latest Wheeler Dealers the other night , featuring a 73 Camaro  & , as a result of that , I have an AMT 70 1/2 version - nearest I could find to the 73 - winging its way from Creative Models , accompanied by the 1/43 Heller Mini .

10 hours ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

I am not a fan of "supercars" as to me they only look like something aimed at some poorly made sci-fi movie without any matter to the real world. They are mostly too luxurious and heavy to be real racecars, too tasteless and too impractical to be used as a daily driver even if you're super rich. It doesn't matter to me if they can reach 100km/h in under 3 seconds. Why would I be impressed if they cannot handle going fast round a racetrack other than a dragstrip or a nascar-bowl. Are you kidding me? 100 litres on 100km if you use your whole engine on a bugatti?... Combined with the poor design of these I have no reason to like them. Recent Lambos are very high up in my ranking of ugliness with all their randomly placed edges. Ferrari Design doesn't matter to me since the F40. What once were stylistic icons have become meaningless names to me. The new Honda NSX is pretty close to being that kind of super-car ugly in my book, but I am very much drawn to the Honda brand, so this is why I don't really know what to think of it.

But I could go on and on how all the recent cars do look alike, no matter who made them. I guess I am simply getting old and living (and loving) by yesteryears standards.

Of course, design is like art always something personal. So don't take me too serious.

Motorcycle kits are a problem to me. Haven't found any of a Honda Transalp (pre '99) or an africa twin (new or old)...

I completely agree with much of what you say, but you're very wrong regarding the bit 'they cannot handle round a race track'...

The latest hyper-cars are utterly insane as a practical daily driver, but by hell, are they quick on the track!

The new Aston Martin Vulcan recently lapped the Nurburgring  9 SECONDS faster than the McLaren P1...!

It was reckoned to be the fastest track car EVER built.

Mind you, give me just about any 50's - early 60's race sports car, (Aston DBR1 - 2 - 3, C Type, D Type Jag, Maserati Birdcage...) and Id be there like a shot.

• Like 1

Absolutely correct - I was just pointing out though that the idea hypercars aren't much cop on the track isn't really true.

Having said that - I subscribe to the Aston - only magazine Vantage.

This month, they talk about a few buyers of the Vulcan who are paying mega-bucks to get it road legal...

As did the buyer of the DB10 (Bond car)

I was surprised how much I like the yellow with random edges Lamborghini - the Centenario maybe? Because normally I'm not a huge fan of supercars either.

Haven't acquired any car kits recently but I'm looking hungrily at the H2R.

W

2 hours ago, rs2man said:

Watched the latest Wheeler Dealers the other night , featuring a 73 Camaro  & , as a result of that , I have an AMT 70 1/2 version - nearest I could find to the 73 - winging its way from Creative Models , accompanied by the 1/43 Heller Mini .

I have the Heller 1/43 Mini. Another one part started!

I suspect that I'll never learn....

Cheers, Alan.

2 hours ago, roymattblack said:

I completely agree with much of what you say, but you're very wrong regarding the bit 'they cannot handle round a race track'...

The latest hyper-cars are utterly insane as a practical daily driver, but by hell, are they quick on the track!

The new Aston Martin Vulcan recently lapped the Nurburgring  9 SECONDS faster than the McLaren P1...!

It was reckoned to be the fastest track car EVER built.

Alright, I have to admit I was well over the top with that comment. Then again, what is a car worth, that I couldn't even ride to show off every saturday night because it is not street legal. What is it more than a proof of concept, if it is not even track legal? That's just hilarious. Like speaking about a rocket powered salt lake world record car. Yes, it is fast. By these terms it is a supercar. It is still meaningless. I am way more impressed by a street legal GTR biting away a few seconds at green hell. THAT is a supercar to me.

... I have to admit - the vulcan is a nice looking car ... Am I schizophrenic?

I know what you mean.

Mind you, I applaud people like Aston who dare to 'rip up the rule book' and make a ridiculous car just because they want to, and they CAN.

It may well be a completely 'pointless' car, but that's NOW.

The tech involved will be in road cars in the not too distant future.

Aston have also just announced a 25 car run of hand built DB4's.

They will NOT be road legal.

3 mil a piece.

Any sense in that for most of us?

No - but I'd buy one tomorrow if I could.

• Like 2

Note that some of the technology, not all built into these hypercars & supercars will percolate down to more mundane vehicles. Take my current car a Ford Focus estate 1.6 diesel:

115 HP

0 - 60 MPH: 11.2 (ish) secs

Fuel consumption: 58 MPG average

My old (New in 1986 and long gone :() Fiesta Mk II XR2:

90 HP

0 - 60 MPH: 11.8 (ish) secs

Fuel consumption: 30 MPG IF you didn't use the power.

That's not including all the 'toys' you get on a modern car.

Anyway, sorry for going Off Topic somewhat....

Cheers, Alan.