Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

simon64

got to replace compressor.

Recommended Posts

Typical, I was going to get a new airbrush and now my compressor has died. I've been using a clarkes comp from machine mart for 15 years with a 25 litre tank (i think - deffinatly a large tank anyway) but the motor has died. The other main problem was the noise level almost at the ear deffender point, but as i model in my shed/man cave it wasn't too much of a problem.

So, i was wondering about what type of compressor to look. The main requirments are:

1/ a tank - larger the better

2/one that is a lot quieter! my hearings bad enough already with out any help.

so any idea's any one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm another Sil-Air user, and they're so quiet you forget they're on. 28db is the target for a quiet compressor, which is about the level of susseration of a well silenced PC. My old 15A had a 0.75l tank which was fine, and as the noise was non-existent, there wasn't really an issue. My current 15D has a much larger tank, which only really shows up when you try to spray too soon and get a weedy breeze. The compressor runs much less frequently though, so perhaps go for the larger one to save excessive wear on your hardware. Link to the review I did a while back.

The other option is a Sparmax, an Iwata or similar, which run around the 40-48db range. They're noisy by comparison, but not ear-defender levels. Workshop compressors have large tanks and run once per session, but boy do you know about it! :headphones:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We sell the 2.5litre tank version of the sparmax compressors. They are not whisper quiet, but not intrusive either.

Tank pressures up to 60psi, motor cuts in when it drops below 40psi. Takes about 10 seconds at rest to top up.

Also, has a 2 year warranty.

http://www.modellingtools.co.uk/little-tank-compressor-3442-p.asp

Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look round for a fridge compressor. Most local dumps.. sorry, re-use & recycle centres have a few knocking about.

Add some hosing & fittings and you're good to go with 3am spraying! I've had this set-up for well over a year now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True...this is what a sil-air is.....

Look round for a fridge compressor. Most local dumps.. sorry, re-use & recycle centres have a few knocking about.

Add some hosing & fittings and you're good to go with 3am spraying! I've had this set-up for well over a year now.

Edited by ozothenutter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a very happy Bambi Air user. They have a wide range of types, both with oil and oil-less, most are quiet/silent types as well. I have BB8 "budget" one, very quiet, very reliable. I'm currently thinking about upgrading to one of the PT range though as I rather want an oil-free compressor for my resin casting. I'll keep using the BB8 for airbrush work, it's perfect.

After deciding on a type better Google it again as prices vary quite a bit between retailers.

Jeffrey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just treated myself to a Bambi compressor, superb build quality and solid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could strip all th workings off your 25 litre tank and use it with the new compressor.

Incidentally, I have a couple of bigger Bambi compressors here, running but not in great shape. If anyone wants a project....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/09/2016 at 14:09, JeffreyK said:

I'm a very happy Bambi Air user. They have a wide range of types, both with oil and oil-less, most are quiet/silent types as well. I have BB8 "budget" one, very quiet, very reliable. I'm currently thinking about upgrading to one of the PT range though as I rather want an oil-free compressor for my resin casting. I'll keep using the BB8 for airbrush work, it's perfect.

After deciding on a type better Google it again as prices vary quite a bit between retailers.

Jeffrey

How quiet is the relief valve on the BB8? I was looking at the sil-air 15a but the relief valve is pretty loud for a silent compressor!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Relief valve? Don't know about that to be honest... I've had the compressor for five years, basically in daily use, but never used a relief valve or had one triggered. When the max. tank pressure (ca. 8.5 bar) is reached the motor shuts down automatically and comes back on when the tank pressure drops below something like 4 bar. I drain the tank and moisture filter once a month or so, but that's it.

J

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, no hiss at all...just a "Klick" when the mechanism triggers and shuts off the motor, and another "Klick" when the motor comes back on when the pressure is low. You can avoid even that by manually turning off the motor before the auto-shut off kicks in. A full tank gets a long way for just airbrushing.

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Nope, no hiss at all...just a "Klick" when the mechanism triggers and shuts off the motor, and another "Klick" when the motor comes back on when the pressure is low. You can avoid even that by manually turning off the motor before the auto-shut off kicks in. A full tank gets a long way for just airbrushing.

J

Thanks Jeffrey! I think I will have that compressor on my shortlist then. It's a bit pricey but seems to be the one of the best, plus has a nice size tank. Perhaps I will treat myself on pay day :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think you need a huge tank on an airbrush compressor to be honest. If the air level drops, the compressor will kick in and fill it up, even while you're spraying. The Bambi and various other "silent" compressors are so quiet that the fact it runs to fill the tank isn't an issue. I have a Sil Air myself and spray at stupid late hours into the night. My wife and 2 yr old son sleep in the next room and never hear a thing. The air coming out of the airbrush is louder than the actual compressor..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Ideally I would go for something without a tank (or just a small one) to cut on the cost, but I can't seem to find anything. The Sil Air units seem to be just a few quid cheaper than the Bambi but it has a bigger tank (and by the sounds of it doesn't make the loud valve sound), so it would appear to be better value. Ideally my budget would be £150 but for that the only decent compressors I can find are the ones like the Sparmax Zeta / Arism which claim to be 45db yet oil free - somehow I doubt it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sparmax AC-501X may be worth considering - within budget, reasonably quiet, automatic & with a proper regulator rather than a bleed valve. Typically oil free compressor noise output is directly related to power / airflow, with around 50dbA being normal for a 1/8HP unit with 15 L/Min output or therabouts - quiet enough to have a conversation while running (the compressor that is!) without having to raise your voice.

 

The "exhaust" noise associated with Sil-Air compressor (15 & 30 series only) comes from the unloader valve which is operated at the end of each run cycle, it's purpose is to reduce pressure on the motor / pump side so that the motor has negligible start up load to contend with. Easing the load at start up allows a less powerful & consequently quieter motor to be used & it's this which allows the Sil-Air 15 series models to run a 30dbA. Removing the unloader would require an increase in motor power / noise  & that's you back up to 40dbA like the Sil-Air 50 series or Bambi's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jetblast said:

The Sparmax AC-501X may be worth considering - within budget, reasonably quiet, automatic & with a proper regulator rather than a bleed valve. Typically oil free compressor noise output is directly related to power / airflow, with around 50dbA being normal for a 1/8HP unit with 15 L/Min output or therabouts - quiet enough to have a conversation while running (the compressor that is!) without having to raise your voice.

 

The "exhaust" noise associated with Sil-Air compressor (15 & 30 series only) comes from the unloader valve which is operated at the end of each run cycle, it's purpose is to reduce pressure on the motor / pump side so that the motor has negligible start up load to contend with. Easing the load at start up allows a less powerful & consequently quieter motor to be used & it's this which allows the Sil-Air 15 series models to run a 30dbA. Removing the unloader would require an increase in motor power / noise  & that's you back up to 40dbA like the Sil-Air 50 series or Bambi's.

Ah unloader valve, that's what it's called! Makes sense when you describe it like that :) 

 

Thanks for the tip, I will take a look at the Sparmax units. I see they recently released the Zeta compressor which looks interesting, though there isn't much in terms of reviews online. Shame I don't seem to have any places local to me, would be nice to check them out first and make sure it's suitable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×