Boeing Vertol CH-47 Chinook (Airfix 1:72)

wimbledon99

So after building a couple of cars on the spin, I thought I'd opt for something a tad less shiny. I was tempted to build an SAS Jeep but have now opted for a Chinook which is going to be a Christmas present for my nephew :santa: He's in the Air Cadets and can't stop talking about them following a recent flight in one. In addition, my brother-in-law is ex RAF and used to work on Chinooks so I've opted for the RAF Odiham 1981 version

Let's start with the usual 'box and sprue' shots.

IMG_2317_zpseh7xp5cr.jpg

IMG_2314_zpsrmntddte.jpg

IMG_2315_zpsw9hdc4ve.jpg

IMG_2320_zpsjb6jp6hp.jpg

• Like 4

This is a fun little kit, I built it in the recent Helicopter GB. The kit was alright, it went together well. As you will see it has trench like panel lines and isn't entirely accurate. I'm looking forward to seeing your build come together, here's my links incase your interested!

My short WiP.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234998744-airfix-172-chinook/

And the finished product.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235003310-airfix-172-chinook-ifor-double-exposure/

• Like 1

Hi Nigel. Looks like an interesting project to follow. :popcorn:

Am I right in thinking this kit was originally from Italeri?

Kind regards,

Stix

Welcome aboard Stix :) Not sure about the Italeri question. I'd have to rely on those more informed to answer I'm afraid! :shrug:

I was examining my Matchbox kit last night and the rotor blades differ from this so I reckon youre right

Matchbox has each rotor head in upper and lower portions too

I'll be in for this one

:)

Nice to have you along Perdu :)

This is a fun little kit, I built it in the recent Helicopter GB. The kit was alright, it went together well. As you will see it has trench like panel lines and isn't entirely accurate. I'm looking forward to seeing your build come together, here's my links incase your interested!

My short WiP.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234998744-airfix-172-chinook/

And the finished product.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235003310-airfix-172-chinook-ifor-double-exposure/

Thanks for the links DAG058 - your build came out lovely. Nothing like a bit of pressure ;)

I have to admit to already having the WIP - I made comment on it earlier in the year. However, I'm too late for my nephews birthday hence it's now for Christmas :whistle:

• Like 1

The Airfix Chinook is an Italeri original and, sadly, doesn't fully represent the Chinook as operated by the RAF. The main area for alteration is the rotors which are an early standard not applicable to most RAF Chinooks apart from early deliveries. Later examples had wider-chord "plastic" blades which have an angled inboard trailing edge. The chord is extended forward of the arm. If you have access to the Matchbox kit this has correct (or more so) blades. That said the Airfix kit can be built into an acceptable replica and two airframes, ZA715 and ZD980 IIRC, carried commemorative colour schemes and, of course, there is ZA718.

• Like 1

On 13 September 2016 at 11:08 PM, stever219 said:

The Airfix Chinook is an Italeri original and, sadly, doesn't fully represent the Chinook as operated by the RAF. The main area for alteration is the rotors which are an early standard not applicable to most RAF Chinooks apart from early deliveries. Later examples had wider-chord "plastic" blades which have an angled inboard trailing edge. The chord is extended forward of the arm. If you have access to the Matchbox kit this has correct (or more so) blades. That said the Airfix kit can be built into an acceptable replica and two airframes, ZA715 and ZD980 IIRC, carried commemorative colour schemes and, of course, there is ZA718.

Thanks for the info :) I'll probably stay with the kit blades but the level of knowledge on Britmodeller never ceases to amaze me!

On 14 September 2016 at 0:54 PM, celt said:

My favourite chopper,looking forward to this, :popcorn::popcorn::thumbsup:

Welcome aboard celt :)

We're out of the stalls and even have a bit of colour on. That said, the 'yellow' parts will not be seen :rolleyes:

My sister tells me this will be hung from my nephew's ceiling so the cockpit and cabin will remain simple; especially as I'm building it with the rear doors closed.

IMG_2596_zpsn1qmq6dd.jpg

IMG_2607_zpsjvp9ilbx.jpg

IMG_2627_zpsp1t5x2e9.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Good to see this one started. Lovely job so far. :thumbsup:

Hope you have a good weekend!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you Stix. I've joined the halves together tonight but not done much more. In an effort to reduce the joints I used tape and clamps on a dry fit and glued from inside through the portholes and 'open' areas.

IMG_2630_zpsa0pbsth9.jpg

• Like 3

I was up early so thought I'd get some more work done whilst the household is quiet. The 'windscreen' is just a dry fit at the moment as I plan on masking it before it's glued. Nevertheless, starting to look like a chinook now :)

IMG_2632_zpsst2rnqtv.jpg 

• Like 5

A little more progress this week. This is what she looked like last night:

IMG_2640_zpseop5ojhn.jpg

And this is what she looks like tonight:

IMG_2641_zpss0gtqus0.jpg

I think the front end will require some work but it doesn't look bad for starters.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Not sure where my modelling time has gone lately but this is still on the bench. After an initial primer coat she needed some work to blend the glass. She should be OK for the first layer of colour now!!

IMG_2646_zpsjoln6ffk.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nigel. Sorry I've not dropped by for a while but I kind of got wrapped up in the final stages of the Vignette GB and my MTO GB project. You have made excellent progress since I was last here. Your camouflage painting looks especially amazing.........very effective. The tac sausages gave an excellent edge! Well done. :thumbsup:

I will try and stop by more often.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Looks great,.....I love the Wokka in this scheme and flew in them many times,......happy memories and always better than walking!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

On 11/3/2016 at 10:26 AM, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel. Sorry I've not dropped by for a while but I kind of got wrapped up in the final stages of the Vignette GB and my MTO GB project. You have made excellent progress since I was last here. Your camouflage painting looks especially amazing.........very effective. The tac sausages gave an excellent edge! Well done. :thumbsup:

I will try and stop by more often.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

No worries - I think I've already said that I don't know where you find the time! Nice to see you here though and thank you for the kind comments. :)

I tend to use tac quite a lot as I find it quite a simple method; and I'm all for keeping things simple :whistle:

On 11/3/2016 at 8:32 PM, DAG058 said:

It's looking good with the paint on!

Thanks DAG058 :) - I've added a bit more today

On 11/3/2016 at 9:24 PM, tonyot said:

Looks great,.....I love the Wokka in this scheme and flew in them many times,......happy memories and always better than walking!

Cheers

Tony

Thank you Tony :)  Certainly beats a taxi ride!! However, I've never had the chance myself :( 

• Like 1

Rotors built and sprayed black, as is the underside of the airframe.

I need to touch-in some paint then she should be ready for a coat of Klear. Then it will be on with the first decals :)

IMG_2658_zpsj2sdxxaa.jpg

• Like 1