Car rally river crossing

Ozmac

Having recently joined the forum, I thought I'd show you a diorama I made fairly recently. The subject matter is the "Around Australia" car rallies of the 1950s, which were a major event back then. The first one was in 1953, the last one in 1958, and for all that time the entrants were ordinary family cars: Holdens, Fords, Volkswagens, Peugeots, Vanguards, Morris Minors, etc. There was even one nice old Grandma and her son who completed several rallies in her Rolls Royce.

The first scene here is from the first Rally, the "Redex" rally of 1953, won by a Peugeot 203 driven by Ken Tubman, a chemist from the country town of Maitland, New South Wales. Following the Peugeot is a Holden FX driven by "Possum" Kipling, of Port Wakefield, South Australia, who came 10th overall but was the first car to cross the finish line (and so he was quite a celebrity for 24 hours, until they figured out who was the winner). And perched up on the hill filming the action is the newsreel team from the Cinesound Film Unit, which followed the rally for all 6500 miles in their Peugeot 203 Station Wagon.

OVzr9H.jpg

E27Hy0.jpg

sSy8as.jpg

UO4AdC.jpg

For the record, the Peugeot 203 in the water is a plastic Heller Kit (1/43 scale) I built and made decals for, based on photo research. The Holden on the road is a 1/43 diecast Trax model, again with my home-made decals, plus added extras such as the sun-visor and spotlights. The Peugeot 203 Wagon on the Hill is a Solido 1/43 diecast model, with my home-made decals, plus added extras such as the winch on the bumper, the roof racks and luggage, and spotlights.

• Like 14

Great job Ozmac and welcome to BM...Lol,one of my favourite specials goggsy,didn't Hammond call it 'Oliver'....

Yes he did, the big girl's blouse. He even brought it home with him. I wish I'd known he was after a crappy old 4 speed roller skate, he could have had my old Micra for fifty quid and a packet of Rothmans.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

I've also used the exact same piece of river-crossing ground for a second set of dioramas, on the 1956 Ampol Trial. I'll post some pix of those soon.

• Like 2