Light aircraft of the Antarctic/Arctic

Ozmac

A wonderful set of models of a fascinating area of aviation. Bravo!

Looks like there's scope for a Polar GB....

Oooh. Good idea Tony! :thumbsup2:. Helicopters, buried aircraft, dioramas, huge multi coloured cargo (all)?planes, tracked snow vehicles. :hmmm:

ATB

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks Aleksey :). No, I hadn't seen this. It rather made my evening :thumbsup:.

Really inspiring. The DC-1/2/3 and derivatives are just such loved and extremely well designed aircraft.

It was good to see the enthusiasm in the rescue team, this was a major job.

Thanks for sharing this

Best regards

Tony

Oooh. Good idea Tony! :thumbsup2:. Helicopters, buried aircraft, dioramas, huge multi coloured cargo (all)?planes, tracked snow vehicles. :hmmm:

ATB

Tony

I'm with you on this one. Check this out for a few interesting ideas:

http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2015/10/abandoned-antarctic-tucker-sno-cat-type-743-belgium/

And

http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2015/02/king-george-island-most-polluted-place-in-antarctica/

And

http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2016/04/stonington-island-abandoned-base-e-east-base/

Sorry for the thread hijack but I love all that stuff.

What an interesting topic! I've been interested in antarctic aviation for years and I've produced a few decal

sheets with Antarctica as a theme including sheets for Beavers, Otter and LC-130 Hercules and some

helicopters used in Antarctica. Most are sold out at the moment but see the Antarctic helicopter sheet at

http://www.maxdecals.com/webpages/max7222.html

As regards early light aircraft used in the exploration of Antarctica many are available in kit form but in

some cases I'm not sure of the exact markings carried. My quick list shown below.

1928: Hubert Wilkins used a Lockheed Vega.

1929: Richard Byrd used a Ford Trimotor and a Fairchild (exact type not known to me). The Trimotor was kitted

by Monogram in 1/77 scale and comes with scale sledges and huskies. The Norwegians used a Lockheed Vega and a

Hansa-Brandenburg  W.33 serial F-18 on their expedition that year.

1931: Douglas Mawson lead the BANZARE expedition which utilised a DH Moth on floats. Serial was VH-ULD in big

letters on the upper wings. Fuselage was orange or red. Avis make a kit of this type.

1933-1935: Richard Byrd's second expedition to Antarctica used a Curtiss Condor on floats ( Glencoe

models??), Also used, Kellet K-4 autogyro, a Barkley-grow seaplane  and another Fokker.

1935: Lincoln Ellsworth's trans-antarctic expedition used a Northrop Gamma (available in kit form from

Williams Bros).

In the 1930's the BGLE (British Graham-land Expedition) used a DH Fox Moth on floats, the registration was G

-ACRU with a penguin figure on the rudder. The Australians used a DH Gypsy Moth on floats in the search for

Lincoln Ellsworth (he was found alive and well).

Germany used two Dornier Wal flying boats to survey large tracts of the Antarctic coastline in 1939 ( Huma

Model or A model make kits).

1946 saw the large scale deployment of American forces to Antarctica in Operation High Jump. Douglas R4D's ,

martin Mariners and helicopters were used.

Other posters have mentioned DH Beavers and Otters used in Antarctica. The Australian ANARE used a DC-3,

Kingfisher, Walrus and beavers and Otters for a number of years.

In the 1950's the Russians deployed IL-12, Il-14 and later IL-18 aircraft. They also used the Li-2 and the

An-2.

There was a joint Swedish-Norwegian expedition in the late fifties where the Norwegians used a DHC Otter and

the Swedes deployed a Beech 18 on skis and a Saab Safir on floats.

Belgium also mounted an expedition in the late fifties or the early sixties in which they used an Alouette II

helicopter and possibly a Cessna 180.

Lots more besides that shown above. All very colourful and make nice modelling projects.

Cheers

Joe

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...