CF-104D Starfighter 1/48 Hasegawa

Martian

1 minute ago, Terry1954 said:

May not be the most inspiring pictures, but I'm loving seeing every stage of this build Martian.

Terry

Thanks Terry, I always try to fully document my builds so that people can pick what, if anything, they want to incorporate in their builds and that they are forewarned of any potential stumbling blocks along the way.

Martian 👽

23 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Coming together nicely fella.  Just don't do what The Baron said and hold it up making plane noises as you don't want to drop it again !!!

Oops! Already did that sometime ago. Fortunately the model survived the experience.

Martian

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Terry, I always try to fully document my builds so that people can pick what, if anything, they want to incorporate in their builds and that they are forewarned of any potential stumbling blocks along the way.

If you’re anything like me (& I know you are...), you usually end up inventing a couple of previously undiscovered stumbling blocks en route!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

If you’re anything like me (& I know you are...), you usually end up inventing a couple of previously undiscovered stumbling blocks en route!

You guys know me too well! Once again its a fair cop!

Martian

• 2 years later...

For some reason I have found myself playing around with this build recently and today's discovery as to what I did with the main box of parts has got me re-starting this. This post is more to let people know that things are happening than anything else. I want to get some pictures up but my camera has started playing up on me. I think I know what the problem is, dirty contacts. Naturally, the most dirty ones are deep down in the camera and thus hard to reach. I think I may have a plan though. 👽

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Ok, I have got the camera working again, not sure for how long though. I glued the tail plane, tip tanks and the carrier for the practice bomb container into place and the thing looks more like a Starfighter now. I have decided that I have nothing to lose by just gluing the thing together and worrying about the masking later. It was always going to be complicated whichever way I chose and after the masking marathon on the Roc floatplane, it has to be easier than that!

Anyway, albeit nearly three years overdue, here are some new pictures.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

(Modelling at a pace significantly slower than a sloth that is feeling a tad lethargic, since stardate 1966.) 

100.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

Nice to see this unearthed again, youll be blowing the dust off Karel Doorman soon :D

As it happens, Mrs Martian wants to organise my main stash in the loft soon and I need to get my eye in on large scale aircraft carriers before I go for the Graf Zeppelin kit with every accessory there is to buy for it, that Mrs Martian got me for Christmas. so the project box for the KD will be retrieved and work, albeit at a leisurely pace, will be resuming. We will, of course, need to make sure that @Ex-FAAWAFU doesn't get over excited though :frantic:, so break the news to him gently. And yes, it took a lot of cleaning to get some of the caked on dust off of this one!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I have a part built Hasegawa F104C which I am going to re-start soon. It was started before we came to France, so pre-2005 and I stopped because I was so disappointed with the Alclad finish which came off every time I handled it, even when wearing cotton gloves. 

John

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I have a part built Hasegawa F104C which I am going to re-start soon. It was started before we came to France, so pre-2005 and I stopped because I was so disappointed with the Alclad finish which came off every time I handled it, even when wearing cotton gloves. 

John

I am wondering which metallic paint would be the strongest to use. I have a choice of Mr Hobby, Vallejo or Alclad.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

I recently bought some AK Extreme Metal after seeing several good reviews. I bought a couple of pots and tried it on one of my paint mules over an undercoat of black Stynilrez and was pleased with the results. I have handled it without gloves and applied masking tape and ripped it off quite vigorously after several days and it has remained in place. The F104 will be a good subject for a full scale trial especially as the fuselage can be painted before attaching the wings.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I recently bought some AK Extreme Metal after seeing several good reviews. I bought a couple of pots and tried it on one of my paint mules over an undercoat of black Stinrylic and was pleased with the results. I have handled it without gloves and applied masking tape and ripped it off quite vigorously after several days and it has remained in place. The F104 will be a good subject for a full scale trial especially as the fuselage can be painted before attaching the wings.

John

Thanks for that advice, I have ordered a selection of AK metallics. One question though, do I need to clear coat over each colour before masking?

8 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Oooh, this is a nice return surprise. I like Starfighters a lot, and the mere mention of Karel Doorman made me come over quite faint with excitement🤪

Calm down Terry. We don't want you having an attack of the vapours and being unable to run the Target  SIG. @corsaircorp would be beside himself with grief. 😭

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Martian said:

Thanks for that advice, I have ordered a selection of AK metallics. One question though, do I need to clear coat over each colour before masking?

Calm down Terry. We don't want you having an attack of the vapours and being unable to run the Target  SIG. @corsaircorp would be beside himself with grief. 😭

Martian 👽

Sound advice Dear Xenomorph !!

Well, you restart your starfighter ?? I will now restart mines !!

Nothing will impeach us to stack a target sleeve under the wing of one of our 104...

Indeed, I got the Hasegawa ones...

Great move dear alien !!

Glad to see back !!

Sincerely.

NC ambassador CC

• Haha 2

So we’ll have more Starfighters than you can shake a stick at soon, ( english expression CC, don’t ask me what it means ).

I haven’t got as far as thinking about clear coats yet but I don’t suppose it would hurt, although I think I read in a review that it’s not necessary.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Martian said:

I had better find where I put the instructions then! :frantic:No, they weren't in the box.

Martian 👽

I received this laudable advice from Ced when the same thing happened with me on the Norwegian build Martian, "It will be in the last place you look for it."

Hope this helps get the skyrocket back on track, also that big boat.

Also the ******* also the ... well you know what, all of them.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, perdu said:

I received this laudable advice from Ced when the same thing happened with me on the Norwegian build Martian, "It will be in the last place you look for it."

Hope this helps get the skyrocket back on track, also that big boat.

Also the ******* also the ... well you know what, all of them.

Strangely enough, I have been given this advice before but what was really spooky was that it proved to be spot on.

Unnerved of Mars 👽

• Like 2

DO NOT GO INTO THE LOFT!

Let Mrs M sort the stash out, we will not be held responsible for damages should this advice be ignored.

"It will be in the last place you look" - of course it will! Who on earth keeps on searching once they've found it?

Ian

• Haha 1