CF-104D Starfighter 1/48 Hasegawa

Martian

Hi Martian,

Superb and inspiring work yet again. :thumbsup:

What you write about stress sounds all too familiar to me. My company (!) doctor strongly advised me to cut back on work stress some time ago -so I did by taking an easier job with less working hours. Only now do I see what a perfectionist I was, almost always dissatisfied with my work. I have the tendency to have that same mindset in modelling, so I have to periodically check myself for taking that dissatisfaction too far. 

Anyway, nice progress..!

Jay

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mountain goat said:

Hi Martian,

Superb and inspiring work yet again. :thumbsup:

What you write about stress sounds all too familiar to me. My company (!) doctor strongly advised me to cut back on work stress some time ago -so I did by taking an easier job with less working hours. Only now do I see what a perfectionist I was, almost always dissatisfied with my work. I have the tendency to have that same mindset in modelling, so I have to periodically check myself for taking that dissatisfaction too far. 

Anyway, nice progress..!

Jay

Thanks Jay, my depression was work induced. Unfortunately I put it own to exhaustion and ploughed on until my immune system cracked up. By then it was too late to turn back the condition and I have been stuck with it for over twenty years now.

Martian

• Like 2

On 30/12/2016 at 05:59, Pete in Lincs said:

Mate, we all strive to do better.

Not all of us can, that's why we

settle for watching them instead!

+1 to what Bill said!

Ex-cellent! Said in my best Mk I Davros purr.

Someting to aspire to, truly.

'Like' above is because I can empathise with your condition, albeit mine having been a genetic present from my Dad.

Happy New Year,

Alex.

• Like 1

Thank you for your posts!

your build has actually been my inspriation for a totally unrelated model (SCi-Fi)  that I am displaying with gear down and panels open and many or your techniques and style are helping me greatly with my build and focus!

Thank you

Thomas

• Like 1

Well, having put a couple of essential parts for my SH-34 build in a place so safe that I can't find them at the moment, always a bad move, I decided to do a bit more on this build until such times as they show up.

There is a sort of tube leading to a vent on the port side of both the front and rear cockpits. Something to do with air conditioning perhaps? I thought these would provide a relaxing hour at the bench. Well, I thought wrong big time! These tiny assemblies, you can see them on the cockpit wall just forward of the ejector seat head boxes, took two days to build! I started by creating an oblong shaped tube from plastic strip and when this had cured, I rounded off the corners. Next I took two lengths of plastic rod of a suitable diameter and reduced one end of each length to a half round section to match the width of the oblong tube I had made. Next I carefully sliced two sections from the tube and glued them to the half round ends of the plastic rod. A coat of gap filling super glue was applied to the outside of the join and when set, the joins were sanded to blend the two parts together. The assemblies were then glued into place before the carpet monster could get his greedy little mitts on them! Sounds simple when you come to write it down doesn't it? I wish! At about the size of my index finger nail, I suppose I should have been expecting some grief from this process.  At least this is one bit of the build where I am reasonably happy with my work for once.

While I was on the cockpit I began adding assorted bits of plastic strip to the walls in preparation for more detail later on.

By now what remained of  my brain cells were screaming out of a rest so I decided to tackle something a bit easier. I can't make any progress with the ram air turbine and it's bay until I have the bay boxed in. With this in mind, I carefully cemented the kit part that fits as a panel under the nose and contains the nose wheel bay to the starboard fuselage half. This was important as the outside of the nose wheel bay wall will form the rear wall of the RAT bay. When this had set, I then proceeded to box the rest of the bay in with thin plastic sheet.

072.jpg

073.jpg

More soon and thanks for looking.

Martian

• Like 16

Precise. Detailed. Divine. Yer model's not bad either....

This is some premiere micro-work; the accumulation of features you've added are going to make this a corker!

:thumbsup2: Tony

• Like 2

9 hours ago, longshanks said:

:hmmm:but you beat the little plastic bu**ers didn't you :whip:

Good to see you rising to the challenge

Kev

Thanks Kev, I always knew how I was going to tackle this but was a bit surprised just how long it took.

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Precise. Detailed. Divine. Yer model's not bad either....

This is some premiere micro-work; the accumulation of features you've added are going to make this a corker!

:thumbsup2: Tony

You old flatterer Baroness! It is usually the tiny details that give me the most satisfaction.

7 hours ago, Col. said:

Yay! Martain's back at his superb Starfighter. Good to see you enjoying this one again sir :) 

Things have been a lot better since I decided not to put so much pressure on myself.

6 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Very neat scratch work Mart. I'm envious of your skill.:clap2:

John.

Thanks John, though I am envious of the speed with which you get models built

55 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Great work on that tub, not sure how I missed this considering there's 17 pages!

We all manage to do it sometimes Woody, I am terrible at it.

Martian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks John, though I am envious of the speed with which you get models built

Martian

Nearly spat out wine and actually laughed out loud. I think I'm slowing down. It's an age thing. But thanks for the compliment M. 

• Like 1

There is nothing like a first flight in a Two-Holer!  Mine was in Zweibrucken 3 Wing RCAF in the mind 1960's and I can tell you I was hyperventilating even before the canopy was closed.  I got about 15 hours altogether in 654 and today she sits derelict in a "museum" here in Langley, BC Canada...really sad to see!

This is the same kit with Alclad finish....I'll be keeping a watch for this one of yours

Best wishes

Barney

CF-104D007A.jpg

• Like 8

Your work is always so exacting it is a pleasure to wander along with you at the new leisurely Martian pace

I do enjoy watching such good stuff emanating from the Red Planet

nice to have you back

nicer still if you can stay chilled in the process

Looks good Martian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Holy extra thin!

Martian's built a RAT cave!

Still have to find the ideal Martian Mobile to put into it though.

2 hours ago, gazza l said:

Looking good Martian, glad to see you back on track.

gazza l

Thanks Gazza. Not sure that I have ever been "on track" in my entire life though!

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Nearly spat out wine and actually laughed out loud. I think I'm slowing down. It's an age thing. But thanks for the compliment M. 

Well, you manage to finish far more models than I do.

1 hour ago, Barneydhc82 said:

There is nothing like a first flight in a Two-Holer!  

:yikes: No pressure to get this build right then!

Martian

• Like 5

This week I have been mostly getting to getting to grips with the wings and wing tip tanks. One of the main reasons for this the fact that I have decided to Micro Mesh every part of the exterior of this build, whether or not I think it necessary as it will stand me in good stead for the NMF part of the final paint scheme.

There has also been some aggravation with that loathed creature the carpet monster. This time the little "£%**&! decided to et one of the inboard fins for the tip tanks. Despite grovelling around on all fours and pulling a couple of muscles in my back it appears to have disappeared for good (Note to HM government: instead of picking on badgers, will you please ensure the complete, final and irredeemable extinction of this loathsome species in the UK and press other governments to follow suit?).

Following more cursing than an be found in Roger's Profanosaurus, :rant:I finally decided to carve a couple of new fins, using the remaining kit part as a template. I went for two new fins as I felt that I would be unable to exactly duplicate he remaining part. While I was checking my references, did I say don't do this build without the Daco book? I noticed that the somewhat overdone rivets on the kit fins should not be there so these were filled with Perfect Plastic Putty. The kit instructions would have you install a second pair of filler caps on the underside of the tanks. What should be there are a couple of what I assume should be panels for draining the tanks. I therefore filled the recesses on the kit parts with discs of plastic card ever so slightly smaller than the recesses for the kit parts. Sanded to conform to the contours of the tanks they will give the impression of a faint panel line under a coat of paint. Next up was to add four thin discs of plastic card to the upper surfaces of the tanks to represent more access panels, for reasons best known to Hasegawa these are represented by small holes drilled right the way through the plastic!

I should mention here that I have been using the Daco wing parts as they do not have the rivets that appear on the kit parts.

Anyway enough of my ramblings an on with th pictures.

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

(Note to HM government: instead of picking on badgers, will you please ensure the complete, final and irredeemable extinction of this loathsome species in the UK and press other governments to follow suit?).

Lol

Not much point in talking to them if you want something done this side of the next millennium

Neat trick/tip with the filler caps

Good to see you getting back in the groove

Kev

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

That gorgeous Zipper shape is starting to become readily apparent now Martian, she's coming along very nicely!

Keith

Thanks Keith, it is a bit of a boost getting the wings sorted even if she isn't quite ready for the obligatory flight round the kitchen just yet. I have been eating plenty of beans though, ready for the sonic bangs when she is ready!

42 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Lol

Not much point in talking to them if you want something done this side of the next millennium

Neat trick/tip with the filler caps

Good to see you getting back in the groove

Kev

Fair point Kev, I don't suppose we can get the UN to impose a blanket ban on the basket? No? I thought not.

13 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Solid patient work Martian! Love the glimpse of cockpit detail in that penultimate photograph. 

Tony

Thanks Baroness.

1 minute ago, The Spadgent said:

Looking wonderful. That must be one hell of a carpet beastie you have there. That's quite a big bit to have for ones supper.

gulp.

keep up the good work kid. ;):)

Jont.

Thanks John, I hope it gives him food poisoning and failing that, that he chokes on it!

Martian

• Like 3