CF-104D Starfighter 1/48 Hasegawa

Martian

1 minute ago, Finn said:

Of course you could have gone the easy way:

http://www.cmkkits.com/en/detail-sets-accessories/f-104-starfighter-engine-box-for-hasegawa/

but where is the fun in that? 

Jari

I did consider that but decided I could better.

Martian

45 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I did consider that but decided I could better.

Martian

In my humble opinion Martian I think you probably have!

Add my vote to those saying leave well alone cos it's most excellent as it is!

Keith

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Finn said:

Of course you could have gone the easy way:

http://www.cmkkits.com/en/detail-sets-accessories/f-104-starfighter-engine-box-for-hasegawa/

but where is the fun in that? 

Jari

I almost bought the set but was/am of the opinion that I can do better. After all, all CMK have done is get  modeller to knock up a master and then cast the thing.

2 hours ago, perdu said:

It is as it has to be, your choice but I find that the right amount (as on there) can very quickly lose out to scale size effect

And I have endless years of having to come to terms with THAT

Should I talk Scout engineering?

nooo - I dont think so

What's scout engineering when its at home? I did plenty of pioneering when I was involved with the Scout Association and could still do it now but I can't quite see how that helps here. Having had a few beers and in the clear haze of alcohol, I know I can do better. However, I shall leave things as they are for now until such times as I can come up with a plan to make the job easier or it comes time to paint the model. I am unsure as to which will happen first!

Martian

Sorry Guys, some finger trouble there and I managed to miss a couple of posts. Lets try again:

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

In my humble opinion Martian I think you probably have!

Add my vote to those saying leave well alone cos it's most excellent as it is!

Keith

Thanks Keith, its still bothering me though.

1 hour ago, Finn said:

Yours has a more 3D look to it rather than a resin version. Watch out adding too much detail as you still have to paint it.

Jari

That is precisely why I reject most resin sets, that and why pay for something one can do one's self for free?

Martian

• Like 3

Sorry Guys, I am not enjoying this build, my modelling confidence has gone through the floor and I don't think I can complete this to a standard suitable for you. Therefore I am closing down the thread.

Martian

You've gone to far to leave this NOW

Your work is and always has been exceptional way above the level most of us manage to attain.

I would be over the moon to have created detail like that hatch! please carry on

Roger

5 minutes ago, Hamden said:

You've gone to far to leave this NOW

Your work is and always has been exceptional way above the level most of us manage to attain.

I would be over the moon to have created detail like that hatch! please carry on

Roger

Sorry Roger. The hatch is rubbish and has been trashed, its just not good enough. I don't know why but I have no confidence left in my ability to carry this build off to a decent standard.

Martian

Sad to hear this, but you are doing the right thing.

You sometimes need to do the virtual equivalent of sitting back with a cup of tea and a piece of medium fruited cake.

Carefully box everything up, and only return to the bench when your heart is good and ready for it.

• Like 2

Thanks Chally, maybe the increase in my medication my consultant prescribed on Thursday will help or even not feeling I have to produce all the time might do the trick. I'm sorry to let people down but I can feel my depression getting out of control. Its always bad at this time of year but for some reason this year seems exceptionally bad and I need to do something to try and at least limit the slide.

Martian

Martin, as has already been said carefully pack it away - it's Christmas next week, try to enjoy it (although I do empathise with your depression at this time of year, it gets worse for me round about now too, but I try my best not to let it show, not easy I know ), and think about getting back to it in the New Year. Don't trash it, it really is too good for that.

And don't worry about building to a standard suitable for 'us', just enjoy it for yourself....

Take care, 

Keith

• Like 2

Wisdom is, Martian

Come back to it as, when and definitely IF you feel like it

:thumbsup2:

Get over the dumps soon and just chill

You don't have to model for us, we love the ones you do for yourself best

b

• Like 1

Hi Martian,

Sorry to hear that you're having a hard time at the moment, this time of the year can be particularly difficult for some people I know.

As others have said, pack it away and go back to it in the new year, when hopefully you will have a clearer and more positive mind.

Having only just joined this thread I can honestly say there is absolutely nothing wrong with your standard of modelling... in fact it's inspiring.

All the best, gazza l

• Like 1

Commiserations, Martian, tough call for you I imagine.  A hobby, any hobby, should be about  fun and enjoyment.  When it ceases to be either perhaps it is time for a break. Let's hope 2017 sees an improvement in your personal situation.  PM me for a chat if you like.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Thanks for all the supportive comments guys. For reasons I can't quite figure out the depression is giving me a bigger kicking than usual this year and I'm not handling it very well at all. I have started on the increased dose of medication and hopefully that will begin to kick in soon. 

In view of what you have said on this thread and the other ones that I have suspended, I will keep the thread going rather than closing it down. Updates will have to be when and if I feel up to it. Strangely, the very act of suspending my build threads made me feel a tiny bit better to the point I had a small fettle with this build last night. if and when I feel I have something worthy of showing you I will get some pictures up here.

Martian

• Like 10

Mate, I for one do not feel disappointed

or let down by your decision.

I do feel concerned for your health and I

do feel contented with the amount of fun

we've all had with your builds this year.

I only wish I had the time to build my own models!

Even if the country went teetotal overnight, I'd be

out of a job, but no doubt her indoors would find

other things for me to do instead of modeling.

Take your time, and you'll be back when you're back, not if.

All the best

Pete

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that Martin, but you do have to look after yourself first. Sometimes it is good to clear everything out the way and leave it be for a good amount of time. I have found when just moving a kit to one side it still lingers and clouds over you. Just clear everything out the way, clear your head and have some time off. The thread will still be here ready and waiting if you ever feel the urge to continue.

All the best

Bob

• Like 2

I'am also sorry to hear that Martin, I have looked at alot of your builds and they are outstanding :yahoo:, but please make sure you build for yourself not for us on here.

Regards

Richard

• Like 3

Hi Martin. Here's an idea.  Why not post all the bits of this project to me. I'll finish it and show you what bad model building actually looks like. I doubt you've ever made a bad model in your life and are judging yourself far too harshly.

• Like 5