CF-104D Starfighter 1/48 Hasegawa

Martian

4 minutes ago, F4u said:

Just had a quick catch up and its looking great Martian :thumbsup:.

Guy

Cheers Guy, I am rather enjoying it.

Martian

Here is a NMF CF-104:

rcaf-cf-104.jpg

note the ext tanks tips are worn, they were almost white from the pitting. The MN-1A may have a replacement nose cap as it probable get more worn due to the nose wheel kicking up stuff.

Jari

• Like 1

The pitting took place over time, here are a couple of pics of 104645 that look to be taken the same day, note the slight difference in the tips of the tip tanks:

104645.jpg

104645-a.jpg

here is the same a/c probably an earlier date:

104.jpg

Here is one showing how the MN-1A fared:

104wC868.jpg

Jari

• Like 2

Thanks Jari, I am going to have to have a look at how the painted tanks fared. That bomb dispenser looks to be a different colour than is usual.

Martian

It is certainly a lovely shape, this aeroplane

I could be tempted by the little beauty myself, the single stick one beguiles me just simply sitting there

That erosion is going to be f u n , ish

Marvellous Martian, mmmarvellous 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, perdu said:

It is certainly a lovely shape, this aeroplane

I could be tempted by the little beauty myself, the single stick one beguiles me just simply sitting there

That erosion is going to be f u n , ish

Marvellous Martian, mmmarvellous 

Thanks Bill, go for it, the single seater kit is apparently better than the two seat. Shop around on evil bay though, you can usually find the kit a lot cheaper than UK prices. The erosion I may or may not do but it is handy to be made aware of it.

Martian

If it were me Martin, I think I'd just mask off the tank tips & paint them silver! I spent a goodly time last night googling pics of Zippers of all varieties & they all seem to have the same silver tank tips all ending in perfectly straight demarcations to the rest of the tank....as all the pics here appear to show.

Keith

• Like 1

Are the tanks aluminium?

If they are, then depending on how hot the tank tips got at speed, white may be more suitable for the worn areas.

Anyone got any temperature info on supersonic F-104 wing tank tips...? :)

• Like 1

I finally got off my backside and checked out the red painted tanks and tend to agree that the tips were left unpainted. I think the neat demarcation line is the give away.

Martian

• Like 1

That's very interesting Jari. You can clearly see the "fuzzy demarcation line on that picture along with what I assume is primer below the top coat. On the other hand, other pictures clearly show a natural metal tip with a sharp demarcation line. Clearly the best thing is to have a picture of the particular airframe you are going to model. I suspect what is happening here is that some air arms let their aircraft weather naturally whereas others just cut to the chase and went for natural metal tips.

Martian

Here is another example:

http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Starfighter/9943.html

note the pylon tanks only the lower part of the tips got worn, it all depended on how much surface area was full on to the elements. Martian look on pg188 of the Bashow book and you'll see how the MN-1A nose got worn, besides the big dent on it. 

Jari

• Like 1

Thanks Jari. It still comes down to checking on what the individual aircraft one wants to make looked like and of course, they were all unweathered at some stages in their lives. I don't really care to have my models heavily weathered, I spent decades learning how to make nice clean models and so my build will either be totally factory fresh with overall red tip tanks or more likely with the tips n NMF. On a more general front I suspect part of the issue is down to the durability of the paint use on the tanks in the first place. My model will not be getting underwing tanks as I feel they detract from the aircraft's appearance.

Martian

Just went through your WIP and what a nice project you are doing, here are a couple of pictures thought you might like to see, couple were from a book so these are for reference only to help your build.

IMG_1084_zpsst7zma8x.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1087_zpsbhpztjn4.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1088_zpsgxl7rkny.jpg[/URL]

If you had done the single seater here are some pictures of the Vulcan Cannon which came out of a CF104, I had this in my Fab shop, built a stand to hold it for the Museum

April%2022%202009%20gun%20001_zpslcozfgt[/URL]

April%2022%202009%20gun%20002_zpsysowtvg[/URL]

April%2022%202009%20gun%20003_zps6wmayjt[/URL]

April%2022%202009%20gun%20006_zpsernmlf0[/URL]

April%2022%202009%20gun%20009_zpsfd4qfpo[/URL]

I see you are from Poole Dorset, was born there and left when I was 24 back in 1981 great place eh

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

Carrying on work in the engine area, I decided to make a start on the access hatch itself. No simple hatch this but more of a drop down control panel, festooned with piping and a couple of instruments and sporting a quite complicated structure as well. I had to go to Oxford to help my Dad with his Christmas shopping over the weekend so did not get quite as much done as I would have liked. Still another session should at least get the structure finished and hopefully some of the plumbing done as well.

Thanks for looking 

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

That engine region just gets better and better - truly scrumptious work on this nippy hatchback. Those pictures remind me of the scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey where Hal sends the crew member out to repair the faulty AE35 unit on the antenna:

'Open the pod bay doors please Martin'

Hope your Dad got everything he needed.

Tony

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 20:06, Ripaman said:

Just went through your WIP and what a nice project you are doing, here are a couple of pictures thought you might like to see, couple were from a book so these are for reference only to help your build.

IMG_1084_zpsst7zma8x.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1087_zpsbhpztjn4.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1088_zpsgxl7rkny.jpg[/URL]

If you had done the single seater here are some pictures of the Vulcan Cannon which came out of a CF104, I had this in my Fab shop, built a stand to hold it for the Museum

April%2022%202009%20gun%20001_zpslcozfgt[/URL]

April%2022%202009%20gun%20002_zpsysowtvg[/URL]

April%2022%202009%20gun%20003_zps6wmayjt[/URL]

April%2022%202009%20gun%20006_zpsernmlf0[/URL]

April%2022%202009%20gun%20009_zpsfd4qfpo[/URL]

I see you are from Poole Dorset, was born there and left when I was 24 back in 1981 great place eh

Regards

Richard

Many thanks Richard the pictures are most useful. I originally come from Oxford but got posted here when I was a customs officer. Gill my wife is a local girl and the climate seems better for my health so I decided to stay. I do wish Poole Council would stop trying to turn the place into the " St Tropez of the South" though; their words not mine. As so much of old Poole seems to be disappearing.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 20:22, TheBaron said:

Get thy tentacles to the bench O Martian One: I'm getting withdrawal symptoms from your scratch-building on that engine.

Alright, alright, I'm doing it! Clearly you are Caroline of Brunswick in disguise!

Martian

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

That engine region just gets better and better - truly scrumptious work on this nippy hatchback. Those pictures remind me of the scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey where Hal sends the crew member out to repair the faulty AE35 unit on the antenna:

'Open the pod bay doors please Martin'

Hope your Dad got everything he needed.

Tony

Glad you like it Tony.

Martian

20 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I do wish Poole Council would stop trying to turn the place into the " St Tropez of the South" though; their words not mine. As so much of old Poole seems to be disappearing.

We used to holiday in the Poole area a lot when the kids were small. I used to love the craft & art galleries on Poole Quay. Last time my wife & I were down there all that seemed to be on the Quay were 'trendy' bars & restaurants. I suppose that's what they call progress?! There also used to be a pretty good model shop attached to a newsagent on the road down to the quay - is that still there?

Keith

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

We used to holiday in the Poole area a lot when the kids were small. I used to love the craft & art galleries on Poole Quay. Last time my wife & I were down there all that seemed to be on the Quay were 'trendy' bars & restaurants. I suppose that's what they call progress?! There also used to be a pretty good model shop attached to a newsagent on the road down to the quay - is that still there?

Keith

Yes, the shop is called Setchfields and is still there in Old High Street.

Martian

• Like 1