CF-104D Starfighter 1/48 Hasegawa

Martian

Nice work martian, looking good. Certainly heading in the right direction for the "snakes orgy" you described. 

Feel free to model at any pace you want, some progress is better than no progress. 

I too am stuck with a lack of mojo.

Hope you feel better soon mate.

Matt

• Like 1

7 hours ago, S5 modeller said:

Nice work martian, looking good. Certainly heading in the right direction for the "snakes orgy" you described. 

Feel free to model at any pace you want, some progress is better than no progress. 

I too am stuck with a lack of mojo.

Hope you feel better soon mate.

Matt

Thanks Matt, I got a good session in today and should have some more to show in the morning. I'm feeling OK. I just meant it is nice to get back to modelling at the speed I feel most relaxed with.

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That engine detail - just superb! I've not seen anything that richly-wrought in quite a while. Bravo Martian!

Tony

Thanks Tony, after today's session the area is starting to grow on me.

6 hours ago, hendie said:

agreed. wonderful & skillful modeling

Thanks Hendie.

Martian

You lucky Earthlings, two updates in two days, I must be spoiling you! I spent a good few hours yesterday adding more detail to the hydraulic bay and have now pretty much got the pipework how I want it and just have a bit of electrical wiring to add. I then have to tackle the bay door which seems to be festooned with piping as well. As a bit of "light relief" I began adding fittings and brackets for the pipework that will be going into the main undercarriage bays.

Enjoy the pictures and as always thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Martian

Sorry I've only just found your ramblings informative build :winkgrin:

I'm pleased to see you're maintain your usual high standards of modelling and entertainment

Looking forward to seeing more of your progress.................

Kev

• Like 1

I've missed this project 'til now so just had a 12 page catch-up session. Stunning. Another selection of great banter and beautiful modelling skill in evidence.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hendie said:

looking splendid indeed

Thanks Hendie, I am not quite happy with the braided pipes. It is the first time I have used this product so I might have another go at it.

4 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

That pipe work is simply out of this world! (See what I did there)  Really impressive modelling skills.

Jont.:lol:

Thanks John, terrible pun though.

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

Hi Martian

Sorry I've only just found your ramblings informative build :winkgrin:

I'm pleased to see you're maintain your usual high standards of modelling and entertainment

Looking forward to seeing more of your progress.................

Kev

Glad to have you on board Kev and I look forward to some of your pay back abuse!

2 hours ago, Col. said:

I've missed this project 'til now so just had a 12 page catch-up session. Stunning. Another selection of great banter and beautiful modelling skill in evidence.

Cheers Col, I think that the banter helps stop us taking ourselves to seriously.

Martian

• Like 1

Here is another pic of a Dual with a MN-1A:

edit: removed the pic due to it being a violation of copyright (thanks Jessica) anyways do a google image search for CF-104D and you should find it. By my rough calculations the stubby nose was about 21" in length, going by the pic i had to remove.

An additional benefit of the stubby nose is when emptying the spent casings after a gun mission on the singles, there was more room to sit under the a/c to get all the spent casings and links out. Of course there was less fuel so the nose of the a/c was a bit higher but as they refueled i could feel the a/c getting lower and closer to my head, usually i was done before they were finished.

Jari

Edited by Finn

PM sent Martian and you can find it here:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=CF-104D&espv=2&biw=1680&bih=920&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwja3_uA1NPQAhUD3mMKHQTfAVEQ_AUIBigB

edit: it comes up in different spots each time, sometimes top row on the right or 3rd row on the right, but it's the side view green one with the tiger on the tail.

Jari

Edited by Finn

8 hours ago, gazza l said:

Hi Martian

I've only just stumbled upon this thread, it's all rather impressive work... I guess I've been preoccupied with making a big V-bomber!

Cheers, gazza l

Thanks Gaza. I am glad you like it. Mrs Martian is taking me to the Midland Air Museum on 11th where I hope to get up close and personal with their CF-104.

Martian

One thing to note once you start painting, due to mostly low level flying by the CF-104 the tips of the external tanks, and MN-1A got pitted, more noticeable on painted a/c:

104wC653.jpg

but even the NMF got the same treatment. You wouldn't want to to rub your hand on it.

Jari 

• Like 2

Thanks Jari, more to bear in mind when it comes to painting. Clearly I shall have to examine the pictures I have of the CF-104s in the very early RCAF scheme more closely.

Martian

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Lovely pic that Jari!

It looks like the tank tips have some kind of protective covering on them, was that the case?

Keith

Interesting point, off to see what the Daco book has to say on the subject as I have not studied this part of the build yet.

Martian

7 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Magnificat Martian machinery aplenty. Keep it up!

Tony

Thanks Tony. I have started work on the hydraulic bay door which seems to have as much plumbing as the engine itself. Still, its all good fun or so I am told.

Martian

• Like 1

Just had a quick catch up and its looking great Martian :thumbsup:.

Guy

• Like 1