CF-104D Starfighter 1/48 Hasegawa

Martian

1 hour ago, Jessica said:

There is nothing questionable about the RCAF tartan!

As a Clan Anderson scion I might possibly not quite agree here Jessica

Looks cod to me.   ;)

Was that you veering wildly all over the shop Martian?

Dammit it would have given me much pleasure to have had a chat. :(

• Like 1

The ejector seat is actually out of a CF101 Voodoo. It was used by 416 Squadron in their mess.It  also has been configured to rock back and forth.

I can open up the cockpit to get shots of the actual seat tonight, as we have the local IPMS group out for a meeting . We are pretty good in letting people in the airframes, you just have to ask the right person.

We also have the shop open tonight, with its good selection of plastic.

MRP

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mrp said:

I can open up the cockpit to get shots of the actual seat tonight, as we have the local IPMS group out for a meeting . We are pretty good in letting people in the airframes, you just have to ask the right person.

I'm hoping to attend tonight, so might see you there!

Bob

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I do admire your patience with all those little drilled discs Martian, very neat work!

Keith

Thanks Keith, had I not already been there, the discs would have driven me round the bend.

2 hours ago, Patrick Martin said:

Check the length of the pod - one source found (since writing the book) says the RCAF pods were slightly shorter to fit the nose gear while folding .....

Pat Martin

Luckily the Daco set gives the blunt nose as an alternative which brings the pod to the correct length.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

As a Clan Anderson scion I might possibly not quite agree here Jessica

Looks cod to me.   ;)

Was that you veering wildly all over the shop Martian?

Dammit it would have given me much pleasure to have had a chat. :(

Guilty as charged! You should have stopped me, I don't usually bite.

55 minutes ago, mrp said:

The ejector seat is actually out of a CF101 Voodoo. It was used by 416 Squadron in their mess.It  also has been configured to rock back and forth.

MRP

Perhaps you could have a word with the museum about their website. I used to spend quite a bit of money on books with the museum until they took the listings off the site. I did email them about this but they did not reply. A shame really as we both lose out.

Thanks for the pictures Bob!

Martian

• Like 1

Martian, The museum is the Atlantic Canada Aviation Museum, which doesn't sell off its website. Maybe you have it confused with another museum. We have never sold off the website. Hopefully when we finish re-vamping the website, we will have the capabilities to do e-commerce.

I will let Bob in the cockpit if he shows up!

MRP

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mrp said:

Martian, The museum is the Atlantic Canada Aviation Museum, which doesn't sell off its website. Maybe you have it confused with another museum. We have never sold off the website. Hopefully when we finish re-vamping the website, we will have the capabilities to do e-commerce.

I will let Bob in the cockpit if he shows up!

MRP

Very sorry, :sorry:I confused it with the Shearwater Aviation Museum. You used to be able to see what books were for sale on line and then place an order over the phone.

Thanks for agreeing to let Bob in the cockpit, it would prove very helpful.

Martian

Just came upon this discussion, here is a drawing i made of the SUU-21/MN-1A:

SUU-21Details.gif

I loaded the MN-1A on the CF-104 in Baden so the info is from the handouts i still have from my CF-104 Armament course, the measurements are directly from the handout. Also on the c\l pylon, on the single seater the reason it was on an angle was most of the front of the pylon was buried inside the fuselage. I do believe it was the same pylon on the dual, just mounted directly to the belly. 

Jari

Edited by Finn
  • Like 6

Dual has completely different pylon made by Lockheed - flat bottom, while the single pylon has a curved bottom - seen on many photos.  If taken at the right angle photos of the Mk.2 duals show a space between the pylon and fuselage.   The single could not carry rocket pods on the centre line rack because of the 3 degree up angle on the pylon.  Any more drawings in the manual?  One day when I invest the time I will figure out to post photos of all of this

Pat Martin

Here are the dimensions of the rack, as the CF-104 c/l pylon was referred to (according to my handout):

Lt - 7'6"

W -11.5"

Ht -12.5"

like i said most of the front of the rack was buried inside. You can see a space between the rack and the fuselage in this pic:

CF-104_Center_pylon_looking_fwd.jpg

also there was a forward and aft fairing that were removable which i do believe the dual didn't have installed, or smaller versions. You can see the fwd fairing in the above pic.

Jari

• Like 4

Great work Martin, that detail is just stunning. :goodjob: the hinges are brilliant. I need something like that for my 109. Keep it up, you're getting a rather nice model there.

Glad you all had a nice time at Telford.

Take care.

John. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Great work Martin, that detail is just stunning. :goodjob: the hinges are brilliant. I need something like that for my 109. Keep it up, you're getting a rather nice model there.

Glad you all had a nice time at Telford.

Take care.

John. 

Thanks John, I am rather enjoying the build now that I have overcome the problems with the rear cockpit and got the butchery of the rest of the kit out of the way.

Jari, thanks for the drawing and the photograph, very useful.

Martian

• Like 1

Note that it appears to have the fwd fairing in place.  Also the seats on the CF-104 had the "knee knockers" painted:

IMG_3116.jpg.opt288x384o0,0s288x384.jpg

here are a couple of seats that did their job, in b&w but you can see the stripes:

Ejection-Seat.jpg

28.%20Successful%20Bailout.jpg

Jari

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks for agreeing to let Bob in the cockpit, it would prove very helpful

Thanks to Mark (MRP) last night I was indeed able to get into the cockpit, Unfortunately I was too busy carrying out a strafing run against a hideous enemy to take any pictures but you'll be glad to hear I nailed them all and saved the world......again! :pilot:Fortunately when climbing out I remembered what I was actually in there for!, I will see about putting them in a walk around.

Bob

• Like 1

On 16/11/2016 at 0:41 PM, Martian Hale said:

image.jpg

Stunning work. Your eye for detail and willingness to apply your skills and creativity to achieve it is admirable to say the least. 

On 17/11/2016 at 5:00 AM, Finn said:

Just came upon this discussion, here is a drawing i made of the SUU-21/MN-1A:

That's a great piece of info for all F-104 modellers, thanks for posting. 

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat
Forgot a word
  • Like 1

The walkaround is up!

Hopefully they are of use. I took them on my phone so when blown up they are a little fuzzy (they look great on my phone!) A big thanks to Mark at the museum in letting me get up close. If you require any amplification of any pics let me know and Ill see what I can do.

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

Stunning work. Your eye for detail and willingness to apply your skills and creativity to achieve it is admirable to say the least. 

Thanks, although many would argue that it is more down to me being bloody minded. They would probably be right in this as one I have decided on a plan, it takes a lot to dissuade me from it.

51 minutes ago, moaning dolphin said:

The walkaround is up!

Hopefully they are of use. I took them on my phone so when blown up they are a little fuzzy (they look great on my phone!) A big thanks to Mark at the museum in letting me get up close. If you require any amplification of any pics let me know and Ill see what I can do.

Cheers now

Bob

Thanks Bob, off to the walk around section right now.

Martian

Edit: Excellent pictures, I am sure they will be of great help to an awful lot of people!

• Like 1

Over the last few days I have been struggling with detailing the engine on this build. Struggling is the operative word here as the pictures I have of the area look very much like a snake's orgy and it is very hard to work out what pipe or wire goes where. This being so, the best I can do is try and make a decent representation of that part of the engine exposed when the hydraulic bay door is opened. Even so, I have found the work rather difficult and tiring. This was not helped by having to drill out a few dozen more holes in the discs on the forward part of the engine. There is a way to go yet in the piping and wiring department but I thought I shuld put up some pictures if only to show that I have not been entirely idle.

I rather like this part of the modelling year as with the pressure to get stuff finished for Telford over, I can again model at a speed with which I am more comfortable, even if it is about as fast as a tired sloth with a bad limp on a day when he could not be bothered to get a move on!

On the plus side though, my supplies of detailing wire have arrived and this has helped spur me on to getting on with this.

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 10