CF-104D Starfighter 1/48 Hasegawa

Martian

I have to agree with you Tony but there is a feeling going round in my head that tells me that I am not surprised that you posted this! Is it beer o'clock yet? :cheers:

Martian

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Bob, If the cockpit is open, some shots of the top and sides of the ejector seat would help. I am trying to figure out where all that netting to restrain the pilot's arms goes when not in use so that it will not catch on anything. I am also trying to work out how the drogue chute is stowed.

I have begun work on the seats  and hope to have something for you in the next day or so.

Martian

From The Ejection Site, these 4 photos. it appears that the Martin Baker seats didn't have much in the way of restraint straps the way the Lockheed seat did.  The rocket pack in this seat is a training pack. Live rockets were gloss white, not blue. I think that the long yellow strap is a safety disarming strap given the locations it pins into the seat.

gq7a_1.jpg

gq7a_2.jpg

gq7a_3.jpg

gq7a_4.jpg

5 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I have to agree with you Tony but there is a feeling going round in my head that tells me that I am not surprised that you posted this! Is it beer o'clock yet? :cheers:

Martian

It's always beer o'clock somewhere in the world.

• Like 2

Jessica you are a very wise woman! Indeed, beer o'clock on Mars lasts for several of your earth days.

Thanks for the pictures however, I should have made it clear that it is the Lockheed C-2 seat that is the problem. For some reason the Canadians preferred to fit them to the CF-104 rather than the Martin Baker seat that you have kindly posted the pictures of. I will try the link you provided. 

Martian

• Like 1

Well don't I feel silly! For some reason I thought you were building a German Lawn Dart. Okay, from the same site:

C2-1.jpg

C2-2.jpg

And now with the knee guards (those red bars) deployed, showing how the side restraint mesh worked. These two are F-104D front seats; they've got canopy breakers on top of the head box.

C2-7.jpg

C2-6.jpg

I can't find anything about the drogue chute, but from logic alone I would expect it to be packed in the head rest area.

• Like 2

Thanks Jessica you are a star. As to the drogue chute I would be with your logic but the pictures I do have show nothing there. Chute removed maybe?

Martian

Did it possibly not have one?  The pilot wore his parachute on his back, and there's a seat separator strap that he sits on which would spring him out of the seat after he decided to get out and walk, so perhaps a drogue parachute isn't in the design specifications?

• Like 1

My understanding is that the C2 didn't have a drogue chute and tumbled after powered trajectory, the S/R-2 seat had the drogue, think the R stood for Retardation and believe it was stowed in the headrest.

Edit, good view of CF-104D seat tops here, from this site http://azaerophoto.com/forum/index.php?topic=142.05530613843_d49a76c12a_b.jpg

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jessica said:

Well don't I feel silly! For some reason I thought you were building a German Lawn Dart. 

Thank goodness for that! I thought I blew 10 bucks on the wrong seat!:o

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jessica said:

Did it possibly not have one?  The pilot wore his parachute on his back, and there's a seat separator strap that he sits on which would spring him out of the seat after he decided to get out and walk, so perhaps a drogue parachute isn't in the design specifications?

Good point, it would explain why I can't see one in the few pictures I have looking down on the top of the seat.

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

My understanding is that the C2 didn't have a drogue chute and tumbled after powered trajectory, the S/R-2 seat had the drogue, think the R stood for Retardation and believe it was stowed in the headrest.

Edit, good view of CF-104D seat tops here, from this site http://azaerophoto.com/forum/index.php?topic=142.05530613843_d49a76c12a_b.jpg

Thanks for the link, some cool pictures here which have been duly saved for further reference.

1 hour ago, moaning dolphin said:

Thank goodness for that! I thought I blew 10 bucks on the wrong seat!:o

It threw me for a moment too! Jessica is still the Wise Woman though, how could she be otherwise, offering advice that "it is always beer o'clock somewhere in the world"?

Martian

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Jessica is still the Wise Woman though, how could she be otherwise, offering advice that "it is always beer o'clock somewhere in the world"?

Martian

Your not wrong, just checked my clock and it is indeed beer o'clock

• Like 1

Is that a blurred Kim Wilde in the centre-background of Jessica's photo? She seems deep in discussion with John Oates from Hall and Oates. Knowing Kim, she's spotted it's only a training rocket pack on the seat and is pointing this out to him.

gq7a_2.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 71chally said:

Martian, I'm not sure why I'm pointing you to this, just feel duty bound, http://www.dacoproducts.com/KDCC4802.php#anker1

DACO improvement/correction set, of which there are options to buy individual, or any combination of sprues!

I have been away at a family function today but by pure coincidence, said Item was awaiting me when I returned home. It will be studied and digested tonight, pending a full session on this build tomorrow. I was given the heads up on this product at dinner at a friends last Friday evening, ordered on the spot and arrived from Belgium this morning. That's pretty impressive service by anyone's standards. Well done Daco!

Martian

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Blimey Charlie!

BTW were you once a West Cornwall resident, and not always of Poole, Mars?

Nope! Oxford, Poole then Mars. Certainly nowhere as strange as Cornwall although I do love the North Cornwall coast and Bodmin Moor. Why do you ask?

Martian

• Like 1

Hi Martian

Some excellent info on the seats going around, great stuff. I have a heap of 72nd scale ones waiting to come alive, so this will help me as well as other modellers probably.

Nice work on the detailing and I hope you're enjoying the Daco set..!

Jay

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mountain goat said:

Hi Martian

Some excellent info on the seats going around, great stuff. I have a heap of 72nd scale ones waiting to come alive, so this will help me as well as other modellers probably.

Nice work on the detailing and I hope you're enjoying the Daco set..!

Jay

Thanks Jay. I bought the set mostly for the corrected tail plane so I only got Sprue A. I was delighted to see that it also gives me internal canopy details and an open drag chute bay, all this saving me a lot of work. My first step with the new parts will be t cut away the kit's drag chute bay in readiness for the new Daco parts.

Martian

• Like 2

Hi Martin Great work so far looking forward to seeing this progress, did you see the issue 30 of Air Modeller, there was a guy in there built a Starfighter one side was Spanish and the other German.  He opened up a lot of the panels on it and it looks amazing.

Tony, yes I see, it does look like Kim Wild, very observant fella.

Keep up the good work

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks Chris, I haven't seen the article you mentioned but I am trying to open as much as I can without spoiling the overall shape of the aircraft.

I had planned on a full session today but fibromyalgia decided otherwise so not much was achieved. This is a bummer as I have been having fun with this kit. Oh well, there is always tomorrow.

Martian

Thanks Jessica, should I get stuck between now and Telford when I get my own copy, I will certainly avail myself of your kind offer.

Martian

A bit of a packed update this morning. I had thought about posting it last night but decided to wait for some natural light for the pictures.

I have spent much of the last three days scratch building and getting to fit the ejector seats. I simply could not get the seats to sit properly using the Hasegawa seat rails so in the end these were ripped out of the model and replaced with items made from plastic strip. I removed the very tops of the kit rails and having sanded these paper thin, glued them to the top of the new rails. The seats now sat much better in their respective cockpits. The hardest part on the seats themselves was making the slits through which the restraining harness will be threaded and several seat backs were destroyed during this process. There is still quite a bit left to do on the seats but I think the worst is over and more importantly, I am happy with their sit.

Whilst al this was going on, I built and fitted the heel plates to the cockpit floors. The electronics bay cover, aft of the rear cockpit, was too tight a fit so I removed a sliver from this, added a new end plate, cleaned it up and reinstated lost details. The detail on the kit part was bit on the woolly side so this ended up by being an improvement to the build. Having lost this part to the carpet monster no less than six times, I decided that the place it was least likely to be lost was on the model so this was glued to the port fuselage half.

By the end of al this I was pretty well modelled out but curiosity got the better of me and I decided to take a look at the Daco parts I bought. I bought the sprues mainly for the corrected tail plane and rivetless wings but on the same sprue that I purchased there are parts for the inside of the canopies and the drag chute housing. Never one to pass up the opportunity to open up a panel, I finished up by cutting away the kits closed panel. The Daco replacement looks like it will be a good fit.

After all this, I decided that it was time to take Jessica's advice and that it was definitely beer o'clock at Hale Towers and retired to lick my wounds. :drink:

I guess you have al had enough of me waffling on for now so lets have some pictures.

Thanks for looking

Martian

Edit: The seats look a bit wonky in the cockpits but this is because they have just been placed there for the pictures. By the way, does anybody know how to vary the size of pictures on Postimage as I have finally given up on Photobucket?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 13